Topics

Ubitx occasionally hanging in transmit while receive led is on. Have to hit cw key a few times to get it unstuck. Ideas? #ubitx

John Faivre

--
John Faivre WA9SGD

_Dave_ K0MBT

You have some common mode RF floating around. Start by choking the coax. Google w1his, He has some complete thoughts about common mode issues and shack noise.

Sam Tedesco

Sticky relay. Lightly smack the relay (off by itself) with the handle of a screwdriver. 

MVS Sarma

Did you wire up the 4k7 resistor from Vcc ro cw wire?

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019, 8:54 am Sam Tedesco, <stedesco619@...> wrote:
Sticky relay. Lightly smack the relay (off by itself) with the handle of a screwdriver. 

MVS Sarma

Better replace k1 relay

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019, 8:54 am Sam Tedesco, <stedesco619@...> wrote:

John Faivre

Yes. I have been using it for 4 months. WAS in 3 months FT8. This is a new problem.
--
John Faivre WA9SGD

John Faivre

I suspected a sticky relay. I’ll try replacing it. 
--
John Faivre WA9SGD

Jens Kaemmerer

I had the same problem and narrowed this problem down the K1 relay by measuring
the relay outputs for K1 and K3.

I decided to replace the K1 relay and have had no issues ever since.

Replacing a relay was quite an undertaking because I had to somehow
desolder 8 pins simultaneously. After trying out various methods without
success (removing solder with desolder braid, etc.) I created a U shaped
'heat transfer' device out of 1 mm copper wire and re-added solder
to connect the 8 pins with the 'heat transfer' device. Holding the
soldering iron to the 'heat transfer' device then allowed me to slowly
remove the old relay. Then I cleaned up the through holes with desolder
braid and installed the new relay.

-jens (KM6ZJV)

David Nelson

I looked online and bought an iron with built in solder sucker. Used it to
replace all the relays on my board and it worked perfectly.. the relays popped
right out and the holes were left clean. New relays popped right in. no problems
at all.     Dave    kc2ipx

jsternmd

Are the Axicom relays still preferred over the ones provided in Ubitx v5?

Jerry

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of David Nelson
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2019 11:15 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Ubitx occasionally hanging in transmit while receive led is on. Have to hit cw key a few times to get it unstuck. Ideas? #ubitx

I looked online and bought an iron with built in solder sucker. Used it to

replace all the relays on my board and it worked perfectly.. the relays popped

right out and the holes were left clean. New relays popped right in. no problems

at all.     Dave    kc2ipx

Mike Short

I take pliers and break the component apart and remove pins one at a time. 

Mark Hatch

I just had this very same problem and had a ground loop. Had two inputs to the second nano (KD8CEC's SWR meter from a Stockman bridge) and had not connected the ground wire for the bridge.Not only did it stay in transmits, but at one point even rebooted!

Mark
AJ6CU

Jeff Karpinski (N0KAI)

Grab some ChipQuik. Stuff's a game-changer when it comes to removing SMT and multi-lead parts.

https://www.chipquik.com/store/index.php?cPath=200

Jakobus van der Merwe

Jeff you just spilled the beans now why some commercial workshops are experts on smd repairs. Hi hi.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 30/06/2019 14:45 (GMT+02:00)
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Ubitx occasionally hanging in transmit while receive led is on. Have to hit cw key a few times to get it unstuck. Ideas? #ubitx

Grab some ChipQuik. Stuff's a game-changer when it comes to removing SMT and multi-lead parts.

jsternmd

Are the Ubitx PCBS assembled with leaded or lead-free solder?  Makes a difference when using ChipQuik

Jerry

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeff Karpinski (N0KAI)
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2019 8:46 AM

John Faivre

I replaced all the relays with Axicom relays. It wasn’t too bad to get the old ones out with a solder sucker. Thatfixed the problem. Thanks for your help.
--
John Faivre WA9SGD

Jim

That’s pretty cool. Guess you have to get both types. Leaded and unleaded.

Arv Evans

Jerry posted multiple comments about using CHIPQUICK but that is for possible component removal after troubleshooting has identified a defective part. 

First step might be to check for RF getting into control leads, and to verify that there are no ground loops (proper ground returns are essential).

Arv
_-_

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019, 8:46 AM jsternmd <jsternmd@...> wrote:

Are the Ubitx PCBS assembled with leaded or lead-free solder?  Makes a difference when using ChipQuik

Jerry

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeff Karpinski (N0KAI)
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2019 8:46 AM

Curt

Jerry

I am not the authority here, but it seems the harmonic spurious are much improved on v5. I would only consider changing out relays based on specific data on your v5, or lots of data across the v5 population. 

73 curt

John Faivre

-- My radio is a V4, so I needed to change them all anyway.

John Faivre WA9SGD