Topics

Updated to a larger Nextion screen

Ian Reeve

I have a V4 board with KD8CEC software on the Arduino and a 2.8" Nextion screen.
This has been working well but I wished to have a larger screen as the case can accomodate a 3.5" one.
Having purchased a Nextion standard (not enhanced) 3.5" screen, I proceeded to download and install via micro sd card,the KN4UD 3.5" tft image as shown on the ubitx.net web pages.
The file loaded and after removing the micro sd card and rebooting the display, got a perfect screen which looked complete.
On connecting to the arduino in the rig using the same 4 wires the various field are not populated.
Clearly I must be missing some thing else that needs to be done.
Plugging the original display back in results in all the info being displayed.
May I have your thoughts
The version is 1.097
Many Thanks
Ian M0IDR

Mark Hatch

Hi,

Assuming you didn't mess up the blue and yellow wires... perhaps a mismatch between Nextion screen versions and KD8CEC?

Believe the current release s 1.2 (or 1.1+)?

73
Mark

Ian Reeve

Hi Mark,  Thx very much for your reply.Double checked everything and still no joy.The 4 pin connector as supplied with the screen was used and delivered power to the display but the blue wire had been crimped over the insulation and was not making contact.Indeed a gentle pull on the blue wire separated it from the connector.so problem solved.Thx and ,73. Ian M0IDR

Assuming you didn't mess up the blue and yellow wires... perhaps a mismatch between Nextion screen versions and KD8CEC?

Believe the current release s 1.2 (or 1.1+)?

73
Mark

Mark Hatch

Love solutions like this!  Usually, i blow a transistor or something. :-)

73
Mark

Ian Reeve

Cheers Mark as an aside I have read that the 7805 regulator on the arduino gets rather warm in use.Without a Heatsink it does indeed but a modest Heatsink designed for such devices keeps the device nicely cool.A reduced supply to it instead of the 12 volts would do equally well but more difficult to implement than a screw fixed Heatsinks.  73. Ian

Love solutions like this!  Usually, i blow a transistor or something. :-)

73
Mark

Mark Hatch

Ian

i actually took the extreme step of mounting a 1.5a 7805 on the case.  And then I ran some wires to the Raduino (removing the original one).  Had no choice since the 5” Nextion draws 500ma.

73
Mark