Strange BFO frequency #ubitx-help

Andy GI7INR

Hi all, Newbie here so apologies if this topic was already covered in earlier posts. I promise I have had a good rummage round to check similar topics before posting.

My v5 radio out of the box does not receive well at all. I’m sure I’ve messed something up, but not quite sure how. SSB stations are very distorted and unreadable on RX. When I transmit CW and listen through a separate receiver it is horrific (loud transformer buzz, continuous tone until relay kicks out regardless of what is sent, ie no dit’s and dahs distinguishable, straight key being used) - side tone feedback through speaker is perfect though.....

I have checked my build, loaded v1.20 CEC firmware and read from the device via the memory manager and attempted tune up both through memory manager and directly on the display per various instructions and videos.

So Finally to the actual question! - I’ve noticed most articles refer to a good BFO setting around 11995/6 or thereabouts. My factory setting was at 11054.160. I am assuming this is very far from where it should be based on all the previous info I’ve read, but before spending a LONG time spinning the encoder to get to 11995 all the way from 11054 in tiny increments, has anyone else noticed such a low starting value from factory? (PS I know this is probably easier to reset via memory manager, but i was trying to tune using original instructions having had little success so far entering a good BFO setting via memory manager)

Thanks for reading, and sorry again if this question is naive or repetitive.

AG.

Ion Petroianu, VA3NOI

Your uBitx V5 uses a different IF frequency (11.059MHz), so your BFO frequency should be lower than that. 11,996MHz BFO frequency was used in V3 and V4. Those two previous versions used a 12MHz IF.
The fact that you receive a horrible signal in a nearby receiver can be related to overloading the receiver. I hope you are using a dummy load on uBitx and the receiver, if located in the same room, should not have any antenna attached to the input.
I would concentrate on the receive function first. Once you are happy with the result try transmitting and monitor your signal using a web SDR.
--
Ion

VA3NOI

Your IF should be set to 11.0555 for near perfect results.

I am not familiar with versions of CEC but you have the wrong one for V5.
Make sure the firmware is for V5 or go back and load factory version.

Raj

At 11-05-19, you wrote:
[...]

Kelly Mabry

Raj, I respectfully disagree, as CEC v1.20 is designed for all versions of ubitx. It requires setting a flag for the version of your ubitx prior to compiling the software.

73,
Kelly K5AID

Kelly Mabry

From the article...

1.About V1.200

Supports uBITX v5. The source code is the same for both V2, V3, V4, and V5.

You only need to enter the uBITX version in the ubitx.h file and it will be compiled for your version of uBITX.

#define UBITX_BOARD_VERSION 2 or 5
2 include v2, v3, v4

For versions 2, 3, and 4

For versions 2, 3, and 4

Kelly Mabry

Raj my apologies for not clarifying. The bfo frequencies are indeed correct however I meant the the software version not being for version five.

73,

Kelly K5AID

Thanks Kelly, I have looked at this software at all. Obviously it was compiled for the wrong version!

At 11-05-19, you wrote:
Raj, I respectfully disagree, as CEC v1.20 is designed for all versions of ubitx. It requires setting a flag for the version of your ubitx prior to compiling the software.

73,
Kelly K5AID

Thats what I said. now the software can be compiled with the correct version and the IF will be correct and
relays working in sequence.

At 11-05-19, you wrote:
Raj my apologies for not clarifying. The bfo frequencies are indeed correct however I meant the the software version not being for version five.

73,

Kelly K5AID

Andy GI7INR

Many thanks all. That clears up my question about the BFO setting.

On the firmware, I used the hex file for v5 and my standard (as shipped) display. I assumed this didn’t need to be tweaked further, but I must admit it was pretty late in the evening when I made that call.

Thanks again,

AG.