Topics

Morse Tutor BOM

Jack, W8TEE

All:

A number of you wanted a BOM for the Morse Code Tutor so that you can order parts now before the schematic and source code are available. This gives you an idea of the parts in the project:

Inline image

The attached BOM prices this out at around $19 not including a case. You can lower the price by buying in small quantities and sharing in a build.

Jack, W8TEE

Jack,

To be honest, that's not a bad price to start with.

Matthew N8OHU

On May 7, 2019 1:59:39 PM EDT, "Jack Purdum via Groups.Io" <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
All:
A number of you wanted a BOM for the Morse Code Tutor so that you can
order parts now before the schematic and source code are available.
This gives you an idea of the parts in the project:

The attached BOM prices this out at around $19 not including a case.
You can lower the price by buying in small quantities and sharing in a
build.
Jack, W8TEE

Dennis

Hi Jack,

I noticed on eBay when looking at the audio amp that there are available ones with built in volume control. Might make things simpler and save on freight for one pot.

73
Dennis, W7DRW

Jack, W8TEE

Nothing is really critical, other than I'm expecting to see about 9-12V coming into the system. I used the buck converter as it is a little more efficient than a 7805 regulator and I do want someone to be able to power it from a car's 12V power outlet (i.e., the old cigarette lighter).

Jack

On Tuesday, May 7, 2019, 2:44:04 PM EDT, Dennis <dennis@...> wrote:

Hi Jack,

I noticed on eBay when looking at the audio amp that there are available ones with built in volume control. Might make things simpler and save on freight for one pot.

73
Dennis, W7DRW

Jack, W8TEE

It really isn't when you compare it to commercial units (e.g., MFJ is $45, but does have a cheap hand key). QRP Guys has one for $20. Some kits sell for $12, but they don't have much in the way of features. My hope is that a club will build a few as "loaners" for members or to teach a class. (The audio is loud enough for a classroom.)  Al and I started the Greater Cincinnati Builders Group in hopes that we would get enough people to join that we might make use of some quantity discounts. To our surprise, we have 58 members drawing from 3 states...several from as far as Lexington! You might consider starting a group in your area. You might be surprised at how many people enjoy building stuff.

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, May 7, 2019, 2:42:02 PM EDT, Matthew Pitts via Groups.Io <daywalker_blade_2004@...> wrote:

Jack,

To be honest, that's not a bad price to start with.

Matthew N8OHU

On May 7, 2019 1:59:39 PM EDT, "Jack Purdum via Groups.Io" <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>All:
>A number of you wanted a BOM for the Morse Code Tutor so that you can
>order parts now before the schematic and source code are available.
>This gives you an idea of the parts in the project:
>
>The attached BOM prices this out at around $19 not including a case.
>You can lower the price by buying in small quantities and sharing in a
>build.
>Jack, W8TEE

Ken

Yes you will be surprised. Our builder group has meetings once a month. Maybe 10-12 may show up for a meeting.

When we hold a buildathon, everyone comes out of the woodwork. Our buildathon last weekend attracted 26 people that normally don't attend the meetings.

73

Ken VA3ABN

On Tuesday, May 7, 2019, 2:42:02 PM EDT, Matthew Pitts via Groups.Io <daywalker_blade_2004=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Jack,

To be honest, that's not a bad price to start with.

Matthew N8OHU

On May 7, 2019 1:59:39 PM EDT, "Jack Purdum via Groups.Io" <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>All:
>A number of you wanted a BOM for the Morse Code Tutor so that you can
>order parts now before the schematic and source code are available.
>This gives you an idea of the parts in the project:
>
>The attached BOM prices this out at around $19 not including a case.
>You can lower the price by buying in small quantities and sharing in a
>build.
>Jack, W8TEE

Doug W

Thanks for posting this.  I am looking forward to this one.  I'm not embarrassed to admit that I ordered whatever I didn't have already after you posted a preview picture somewhere.  This completes the mystery as I wasn't sure on the encoder and was holding off on that.  I am also happy for the confirmation that I guessed right on everything else.

I'm not guaranteeing these are the best prices (or the right parts for that matter) but following are links to some of what I ordered in case it helps anyone...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/leaflabs-Leaf-maple-mini-ARM-STM32-compatibility/1400667476.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-2-Inch-240-320-Dots-SPI-TFT-LCD-Serial-Port-Module-Display-ILI9341-5V-3/32827588771.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-Digital-DC-5V-2-3W-USB-Power-Mini-Class-D-Amplifier-Board-LCD-PAM8403/163418785220
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2xLM2596-DC-DC-Adjustable-Buck-Converter-Step-Down-Module-1-23V-30V/223115420934

--
www.bitxmap.com

Nick VK4PP

HI Jack.
Are you going to kit these?
I reckon our club members here would love to do one as a project night...
73 Nick VK4PP

Jack, W8TEE

I did a kit for my builders' group and that was such a PITA that I vowed never do a kit again. That said, the parts count is low enough that a bulk purchase for 10-20 builders wouldn't be too difficult...just not for me. You'll be able to better-judge the effort it would take after FDIM when the source and schematic become available. Perhaps someone else will kit it.

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, May 7, 2019, 10:33:06 PM EDT, Nick VK4PP <nickpullen@...> wrote:

HI Jack.
Are you going to kit these?
I reckon our club members here would love to do one as a project night...
73 Nick VK4PP

_Dave_ K0MBT

Good idea getting more of us hams into ditties. I have been a ham about a year and never made the time to learn morse. My main exposure was in the Ft Devens, Mass in 70-71. I was in electronic maintenance school but was assigned to a unit that trained Morse intercept operators.

I built a CPO and hooked it to a J38 and am practicing both sending and receiving. The computer program I like is lcwo.net. My speed is pathetic and I'm studying trying to recognize words,

So have to ask Jack, What is a BOM?

Jack, W8TEE

Bill Of Materials. It's just a list of the parts for a given project.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019, 9:41:35 AM EDT, d balfour <davesters@...> wrote:

Good idea getting more of us hams into ditties. I have been a ham about a year and never made the time to learn morse. My main exposure was in the Ft Devens, Mass in 70-71. I was in electronic maintenance school but was assigned to a unit that trained Morse intercept operators.

I built a CPO and hooked it to a J38  and am practicing both sending and receiving. The computer program I like is lcwo.net. My speed is pathetic and I'm studying trying to recognize words,

So have to ask Jack, What is a BOM?

Vaughn

Hi, this looks a great project. Been looking through this thread, but cant find the schematic or code.

Any chance you can point me in the correct direction please

thanks Vaughn

Jack, W8TEE

The MCT is the subject of my presentation at FDIM, so I cannot place the code or schematic in Open Source until after my talk on the 16th of this month. The only reason I sent out the BOM is because some readers said they wanted to get a jump on ordering parts. I didn't feel the BOM was in conflict with my understanding of the rules about presenting at FDIM.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019, 10:59:54 AM EDT, Vaughn <vlkteach@...> wrote:

Hi, this looks a great project. Been looking through this thread, but cant find the schematic or code.

Any chance you can point me in the correct direction please

thanks Vaughn

Vaughn

Sorry missed the location, cant make that event, will wait for the post post, with eager anticipation, Thanks

73s Vaughn