Topics

Remote Head?

Dexter N Muir

uBitx is a bit difficult to *really* remote: its control and display are done by Arduino, but the unit supplied by default in the 'kit' has that as the 'Raduino", with the 'VFOs' part of that, being the on-board SI5351. This puts RF generation at the 'control head', so any distance of 'remote' has to be minimal.
The solution, it would seem, is homebrewed Arduino control, where the SI5351 can be controlled by the likes of its I2C-bus connection. By this means frequency control can be a non-critical function, with distance achieved digitally: 3 wires (2 active and earth) which do not behave as transmission-lines needing such radical shielding (and can even be optically-isolated)!. This leaves Audio (By 'dongle'?) and PTT/Keying (likewise able to be opto-isolated but also perhaps able to be encoded into the I2C bus?). Some (most?) of these modifications are already being worked on by folks here (and others?)

It's only a short step from the above to full-USB or HDMI - or LAN/internet. Who needs megabuck rigs or even SDR?

I posted most of this on SolderSmoke :)

Ted

Dexter,

Please see my photo folder on this forum. There are other formats by others, maybe not as long an extension but this is one permutation that works so far.

My first attempt at mobilizing a uBitx was with the original 20x2 LED screen. I extended the volume, tuning & function knob, mic of course, and the LED screen by means of a 25-wire printer cable. The Arduino/Raduino stuff remained with the mainboard in a box under the pax seat.

The current model uses a 2.8" Nextion LCD screen on a 4-wire shielded keyboard cable so I can see it at dashboard height. One could have run the rest of the controls to the same location though the screen data nose gets hard to isolate... plus, I wanted the finger controls at a convenient arm-rest position rather than at  a reaching position.  There's also one less microphone cable flopping around right in front of other things.  The tuning/function knob etc are therefore...

...located in a separate control head that's fed with a separate, VGA monitor extension cable.

One nice thing about the latter cable is that it has four separate, shielded paths along with some extras, all shielded again by the outer layer. These can  protect the audio path and stuff.  I can still hear some of the Nextion activity, chiefly the data streams associated with the 2nd Nano and spectrum/s-meter action but mainly on weaker signals with the volume up.

I find the speaker audio, even with a Motorola public-safety type radio speaker,  a bit mild for 70mph highway use so I'm adding a 15-watt amp to it.

Good luck,

Ted
K3RTA

bobolink

On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 12:16 AM, Dexter N Muir wrote:
It's only a short step from the above to full-USB or HDMI - or LAN/internet.
-or wireless WiFi/internet or Bluetooth Low Energy (both with appropriate security).

Dexter N Muir

Great stuff, Ted! VGA cable? hadn't thought of that! :) in true AmateurLogic(.TV) fashion: Cheap-old-man compliant!
73 de ZL2DEX

Dexter N Muir

As an ex-workmate put it (in false Irish brogue): "Good t'inkin', O'Rourke ... yer foired!" :)

73 de ZL2DEX

Ted

Dexter,

You bet it's Cheap-Old-Man compliant, better yet when it originates from a supply that I didn't pay for in the first place.  The variation and complexity of so thin a cable makes it ideal...... though an accidental discovery more so than a plan.  I was just looking toward the shielded, 15 wires inside!

73,
Ted
K3RTA