Topics

No Boot-Up (after spikes)

Ted

It came to pass that,  in the process of inserting a 7809 between the Raduino daugterboard and its B+ pin-to-mainboard, that I failed to notice a solder blob shorting out the 7809. I made a 90-degree header change at the Raduino mounting point on this build, making this relatively painless [or not].

It was realised, when turning on the (1-metre-long) remote power switch whereupon an added power relay chattered on and off [due to low relay supply voltage for the instant of the short],  graciously saving my 5-amp fuse.   Don't ask....

Since then, the radio powers up but the Nextion screen would not get past simply powering on and showing the basic screen graphics (as if in the PC editor). The obvious have been performed:

- Replace Nano.
- Try different brand of Nano
- Try Nextion screen from redundant uBitx radio
- Replace Raduino (in stock, known)
- Replace 5-volt regulator on oruginal Raduino.
- Swap Raduino from redundant uBitx radio
- Try swapped Raduino with different Nano
- Restore Raduino with original, 2-line LCD display (shows opening call sign and firmware edition, nothing more)

So: should not a Raduino board power up by itself when given 12v & (-) , and respond to the original LCD display or a Nextion screen, that is, respond to manual display inputs even without a mainboard present?

If a mainboard is required for Rauino/screen operation past initial lighting, what might fail specifically which will stall further brain function like that?

V3 board; whole rig seen in my Photos folder.

73,

Ted
K3RTA

John (vk2eta)

Hello Ted,

Sorry about the mishap, but it has happened to quite a few of us before.

I would try the Raduino off the main board but connected to a PC for supply via USB.

If it is gets stuck at firmware version I would suspect either a defective si5351 clock generator or an issue with the i2c bus (A4/A5 from memory). Check for shorts, and if you have a scope check that you get a 3.3v swing on the two i2c signal wires.

73, John

Ted

Thanks for the tip, John.  Thing is that I've tried no fewer than four Nano replacements and two other, known operational Raduino boards.  That's the part that makes no sense. Bad outputs or clock readings should have been eliminated by now due to component-swapping.

But I will look at readings for the experience & to learn more about these things.

Tnx agn,

Ted
K3RTA

Sam Tedesco

Nextion shows callsign/ver and all zeros on freq?

Joe Puma

It will do that if one of the yellow or blue wires are not connected forgot which one. Probably the RX line. So maybe that connect is damaged at the Raduino.

Joe

On Apr 19, 2019, at 9:10 AM, Sam Tedesco <stedesco619@...> wrote:

Nextion shows callsign/ver and all zeros on freq?

Ted

That's that's about the only thing that's left course, and it may just be a case of denial that I would bother to check them. Guess I'll get on that.

Tnx,

Ted

Ted

Sam,

Yes.  See earlier response. I thought I had wired up a virgin screen cord but it was late.   it must have been, because some other time during the night I destroyed the 2.8" screen that goes in this project. So a new one, the enhanced model this time, is somewhere between who knows where and where I am, in the mail. Let's hope i don't blow up the redundant screen while trying to troubleshoot, and I'll re-do those wires.  If that doesn't work, it's haunted,  and I have plenty of gas for chainsaw and a box of 20 gauge shells.

Ted

Ted

"If it is gets stuck at firmware version I would suspect either a defective si5351 clock generator or an issue with the i2c bus (A4/A5 from memory). Check for shorts, and if you have a scope check that you get a 3.3v swing on the two i2c signal wires."

My scope seems to be acting up and hasn't been very helpful lately. I do get ~3.2v on a DVM AC reading on the A4/A5 pins of the Nano itself.

I also found the Raduino clk2 pin grounded out to pin 4 next to it. It fails to explain a similar failure on the backup Raduino board unless I fried 4 other Nanos first (which can't be ruled out until we know).  So, while I have two brand new Nanos in packages I could build and put together, I have no further Raduino boards to try except for the one that's built into the other radio that I don't want to tear apart.

Maybe it's time to get a new spare Raduino that has not been put in a questionable circuit since repaired. Would anyone care to recommend the best aftermarket Raduino clone?

- Ted

John (vk2eta)

Hello Ted,

I will leave the recommendations for a new Raduino to others.

In the mean time, and as an alternative to the chainsaw (hihi), since you seem to have i2c activity you could, if you want to use non-gui style command line interface, install the diagnostic software in the Raduino to check that the communication with the si5351 is possible.

See https://groups.io/g/BITX20/files/uBitx%20Diagnostic%20software%20by%20VK2ETA/ubitx-Diagnostic%20-%20Version%20B0.2-2018-04-28.zip

The readme file contains the settings for the Arduino IDE terminal that is used to control the tests.

The core system tests (option 1) will tell you if:
a) the i2c bus is locked
b) the si5351 chip is not found at the expected bus address
c) the Nano can't write to the registers of the si5351 chip

Best done with the Raduino removed from main board.

We can then take it from there.

73, John

Joe Puma

Hi Ted. You did say that you can’t see frequency on LCD. But does the LCD functions let you still control the radio in some way or another. Like can you switch bands. If so that would suggest you are good with communication in that direction.

I’ve read in the past that someone burned out a digital line on the Raduino and there was suggestions or discussion to switch the digital line to another digital line on the Raduino. Maybe that can be done here. Change it in the source code and compile. Again I’m just repeating what I heard, I’m sure someone has a more technical way of explaining my babble. Lol.

Joe
KD2NFC

On Apr 19, 2019, at 3:57 PM, John (vk2eta) <vk2eta@...> wrote:

[...]

Also, and still assuming the symptoms are that at boot up the display stops at the version and call sign being shown, in the Ian Lee's software version the i2c address of the si5351 can be changed for non standard Raduinos.

I can't check now but I suspect there must be a field in the uBitx memory manager for that data.

The default is 0x60 hex or 96 decimal.

73, John

Ted

Hi, John.

I got a Nano generic to load up the diagnostic sketch, attached it to the Raduino (out of the radio), and ran through the control function tests. It saw the i2c bus and the si5351.  I ran through it kind of fast and didn't take notes on what ports were connected on each. I wanted to try a $18 genuine Nano board for kicks, as I've been skeptical of using that up to now.

It seems I can program both the generic and the genuine board just fine but, after that initial test, I can't the the comm port monitor to see Nano output from either board, Of course I swapped comm ports to match the two different boards..  The first time I connected, I received menu lines immediately (you know, like old TNC work or with dial-up modem setups). Since then,no readback.  It seems like the more simple stuff is the most frustrating.  Maybe some sleep will fix this.  See you in the AM.

And, thanks for the tip on the diagnostics. It's just what I was hoping for, actually, as it takes away a lot of guesswork.

- Ted

Ted

Joe,

After fixing the first Raduino shorting, no luck. Maybe it's done, not sure yet. Somewhere along the line of hooking up a spare, I got pin 3 (Clock #2) and pin 4 (Gnd) a bit close for a while. It probably remained that way for 10 minutes or so while trying to trace any reasonable answer to the original problem. Anyway, the 2.8" Nextion is toast (reason unknown) and when I hook this radio to my other uBitx 3.5" screen, that screen likewise sits on the initial boot-up with zeros where the Nano information should show up.

As to your question, if I press screen buttons, I get the same false action that one gets while in the Debug mode in the Nextion software.  Ig's powered up but not speaking to anything, same as the original screen, 5 (now toast) Nano boards, and two Raduino boards (one might be dead).

I can't wait unitl it's warm enough to go sailing again.

With appreciation,

Ted
K3RTA

Joe Puma

Sounds like you’ve had some bad luck. Order some new parts and just push through it.

73
Joe
KD2NFC