Topics

Microphone choices

Michael Goins, k5wmg <wmgoins@...>
 

Looking to use my BITX on SSB and cw and trying to figure out a good mike for it, either hand or desk. Will likely take to Costa Rica later in the year and possibly leave there. Suggestions or where to look for more information?

Kelly Mabry
 

Hi Mike,  a lot of ideas abound; some are repurposed cb microphones,  some are home brewed with what's in the kit, I ordered a Uniden BC645 4-Pin Microphone for CB Radios, electret mic, going to wire the 4 pin panel plug to fit the microphone.  Others have changed out the 4 pin to match their 8 pin QRO rigs. I would dig around the ubitx.net site and hfsignals.com ... Somewhere I  remember that a dynamic mic needs a tantalum cap on the input. But in reality there are even 3d printed mic housings to assemble a mic. Check out https://shop.kit-projects. They have mics and paddles!
73,
Kelly K5AID 

David - CA3DPV
 

My two cents...

First I've tried with a karaoke mic and a audio console 
Good: I get 10W of power without effort, talking quietly
Bad: The signal transmitted is extremely low pitch (very dificult to copy). 

Now I use a PC mic (purchased for a few bucks). PTT is a button installed on it.
Good thing: It's a very cheap and small desk microphone (3 USD), 
Bad thing: It's a low gain mic, get 4 or 5 watt only @40m

iz oos
 

If you can't afford a Behemoth microphone (hi hi) you may try high sensitivity (around - 24db) electrec elements you may find at large vendors (Mouser etc). I opted for dynamic elements (not for karaoke) plus a homemade vogad compressor.


Il 10/apr/2019 13:22, "David - CA3DPV" <david.parra@...> ha scritto:
My two cents...

First I've tried with a karaoke mic and a audio console 
Good: I get 10W of power without effort, talking quietly
Bad: The signal transmitted is extremely low pitch (very dificult to copy). 

Now I use a PC mic (purchased for a few bucks). PTT is a button installed on it.
Good thing: It's a very cheap and small desk microphone (3 USD), 
Bad thing: It's a low gain mic, get 4 or 5 watt only @40m

MVS Sarma
 

Even if one is rich, i suppose that there is no point in investing in mics that zerve high end systems for ham use. We dont really need more than 0.3 to 3Khz at the maximum

Regards
Sarma vu3zmv

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 5:04 pm iz oos <and2oosiz2@... wrote:

If you can't afford a Behemoth microphone (hi hi) you may try high sensitivity (around - 24db) electrec elements you may find at large vendors (Mouser etc). I opted for dynamic elements (not for karaoke) plus a homemade vogad compressor.


Il 10/apr/2019 13:22, "David - CA3DPV" <david.parra@...> ha scritto:
My two cents...

First I've tried with a karaoke mic and a audio console 
Good: I get 10W of power without effort, talking quietly
Bad: The signal transmitted is extremely low pitch (very dificult to copy). 

Now I use a PC mic (purchased for a few bucks). PTT is a button installed on it.
Good thing: It's a very cheap and small desk microphone (3 USD), 
Bad thing: It's a low gain mic, get 4 or 5 watt only @40m

 

I bought one for my bitx40 they work out very nice. I take the element out and put it in a mini mic.

http://www.jlielectronics.com/microphones/com-mic-jli-52b/
--
David

 N8DAH
Kit-Projects.com

Shop is open!

David Wilcox <Djwilcox01@...>
 

Let’s not forget Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift stores.  Was in one yesterday and mics, etc., were just sitting there collecting dust.  Super cheap too.  Lots of parts sitting there if one need unsoldering practice, and speakers up the Wazoo...... if you visited weekly you could build a ham station and a junque box full of parts in a month or so.  Who said ham radio was expensive?

Dave K8WPE since 1960.

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Apr 10, 2019, at 9:32 AM, N8DAH <Dherron@...> wrote:

I bought one for my bitx40 they work out very nice. I take the element out and put it in a mini mic.

http://www.jlielectronics.com/microphones/com-mic-jli-52b/
--
David

 N8DAH
Kit-Projects.com

Shop is open!

_Dave_ AD0B
 

The obvious choice is the stock electret button mic. I usually get subjective comments of being great sounding.Have a desk mic made from a weighted desk lamp and some flex tubing. Used the stock switch opening to put momentary contact switch. For a portable hand mic I used an old cb mic and took out the stock element after finding it too weak and replaced the element with another electret button glued into the space. The mic lost a lot of weight.

If you are going to travel with the radio consider make sure the raduino board is securely bolted in and not just hung on the connector. I make a 3d printed plate that does that.

Michael Goins, k5wmg <wmgoins@...>
 

Thanks to all for the mike recommendations. I have a CM-500 headset here I think I'm going to try out first as I've had great reports with it in the past. Going to love chasing DX with this little rig.


On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 5:13 AM David Wilcox via Groups.Io <Djwilcox01=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Let’s not forget Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift stores.  Was in one yesterday and mics, etc., were just sitting there collecting dust.  Super cheap too.  Lots of parts sitting there if one need unsoldering practice, and speakers up the Wazoo...... if you visited weekly you could build a ham station and a junque box full of parts in a month or so.  Who said ham radio was expensive?

Dave K8WPE since 1960.

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Apr 10, 2019, at 9:32 AM, N8DAH <Dherron@...> wrote:

I bought one for my bitx40 they work out very nice. I take the element out and put it in a mini mic.

http://www.jlielectronics.com/microphones/com-mic-jli-52b/
--
David

 N8DAH
Kit-Projects.com

Shop is open!

Don - KM4UDX
 

Mike -- I burned up the included electret element, then bought 10 similars to replace it.  Put one in a pill bottle with the tiny included switch on the side.  Works grand.  My QRZ page has a pic.  If you would like a extra element, just send me the address.  Happy to mail one to you.  

Don
km4udx

Curt M.
 

I bought a new old stock Cobra CB mic for $5 and gutted it.  I used the original switch that came with the mic and used the element that came with the uBitx kit and put a 4 pin mic connector on the cord.  I get good audio reports with the stock element.

Curt M.

Dale Smith
 

I use this ,from qrpkits.com{Pacific Electret Microphone kit.Works great
image.png
Dale/ka5who

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 2:03 PM Curt M. <Kc3hjp@...> wrote:
I bought a new old stock Cobra CB mic for $5 and gutted it.  I used the original switch that came with the mic and used the element that came with the uBitx kit and put a 4 pin mic connector on the cord.  I get good audio reports with the stock element.

Curt M.