Topics

v4

kb6lzw@...

Thanks Curt for help. Did some digging around and found cold solder connection (my fault) and fixed that. Now rig is working again but receive is still deft as a post.  WWV is s-9 here but can't hear minute announcements.  If I tune to each side of carrier I can hear that but nothing else. Tried to listen to ssb and can't hear them at all. Seem to have good audio strength when rig fed with signal generator.  Anyone with any ideas on how to hear well?  Am using ear buds and a Icom mobile speaker.

Curt

The next thing that comes to mind is BFO alignment.  Note that the crystal filter has a limited span, and the BFO must be set to that when the output is mixed the received signal is properly mixed down to audio.  This is much easier to do than the frequency calibration procedure, but actually it is more important to function.

Curt

Evan Hand

The best way that I have found to adjust the BFO is to use a free PC based audio spectrum analyzer.  Connect a mic to the audio in on the computer, tune the uBitx to a clear frequency with white noise, and then adjust the BFO to center the signal plot between 500 and 3000 hertz.  This gives the maximum signal and best sounding audio.

Here is the link to the free software:
http://www.techmind.org/audio/specanaly.html

Note: after adjusting the BFO you may need to go back and recalibrate the dial.  When I did the BFO adjustment on my new v5 board, I had to go back and adjust the calibration for the dial frequency setting.

Above worked for me, YMMV
73
Evan
AC9TU

kb6lzw@...

Thanks guys! I'll give it a whirl when I get some more time.  Will see if I can use my tablet.

Ted

Yes, there are [Android] audio spectrum analyzer apps that work fine; I'd bet at least a nickel that the Apple Store does as well.

Ted
K3RTA

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 21:09, kb6lzw@...
<kb6lzw@...> wrote:
Thanks guys! I'll give it a whirl when I get some more time.  Will see if I can use my tablet.

Adrian Chadd

hi!

This did the trick. I can't believe I didn't think about doing it this way. It now behaves quite a bit better on receive - the passband defaulted to somewhere north of 1500-4000..

Still trying to figure out why I only get 5W transmit though - that's next.

Thanks!

-a