Topics

Raduino Remote Mount

Gigabyte

I've been searching and I found a post here saying you can't mount the Raduino away from the uBitx. I was curious as to why.  I have cables that I've used for other arduino projects that I could use.

Thanks,
KN4CUH

jim

I've had mine remote mounted since day one ..Used shielded coax on the CLK 0-2 leads ...works ok for me

Jim

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 12:09:59 AM PDT, Gigabyte <steven.b.hoff@...> wrote:

I've been searching and I found a post here saying you can't mount the Raduino away from the uBitx. I was curious as to why.  I have cables that I've used for other arduino projects that I could use.

Thanks,
KN4CUH

Nigel G4ZAL

One of the nicest remote mounts I have seen
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3016678

Nigel

Ted

Nigel,

That is a nice setup; it isn't necessary to remote the Raduino in order to do that.
I'm wondering what the OP has in mind.

Original poster:

Are you trying to remote the stock LCD screen and controls, or, a Nextion  type display & controls?  Theoretically, a 9-wire RS-232 shielded cable will have enough connections to do the latter; I've used a 15-pin VGA extension before, for redundant grounds and  stuff and the Raduino stayed with the mainboard.   Might you elaborate on your project, please?

Ted
K3RTA

Gigabyte

I'm wanting to mount the uBitx in a small waterproof enclosure.  The uBitx board fits but the Raduino doesn't fit so I'd like to have a cable so I can mount it in the enclosure somewhere above the uBitx because there isnt enough width to fit it.  I have a 3.5" Nextion I also ordered.  My idea is to put a li-ion battery pack Raspberry Pi, etc in the box. I have a 7" touchscreen I'm going to use with the Pi.  The idea is to have a small all in one go box for digital modes.  The 7" touch screen I plan on mounting in the lid of the box.

Note: I'm a computer programmer so my understanding there is good. My understanding on the electrical side is basic.  I didn't know if there was a reason you couldn't create a short cable from the uBitx board to the Raduino.  I saw posts saying you could extend the display from the Raduino but not the Raduino to the uBitx.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 04:13 Ted via Groups.Io <k3rta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Nigel,

That is a nice setup; it isn't necessary to remote the Raduino in order to do that.
I'm wondering what the OP has in mind.

Original poster:

Are you trying to remote the stock LCD screen and controls, or, a Nextion  type display & controls?  Theoretically, a 9-wire RS-232 shielded cable will have enough connections to do the latter; I've used a 15-pin VGA extension before, for redundant grounds and  stuff and the Raduino stayed with the mainboard.   Might you elaborate on your project, please?

Ted
K3RTA

Laurence Oberman

Hello

The biggest issue is the noise if the cable is too long.
Use a shielded multicore cable and ensure shield is connected to chassis.
I have an extended cable for testing and its OK, but it will pick
induce digital noise back into the rf section if not properly managed.

My 2c

This is a link to the box I have. https://m.harborfreight.com/1800-weatherproof-protective-case-9-316-in-63518.html

[...]

How Long is too long.  Here is a picture of me holding up the arduino. The cable will probably be 2.5" or so.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 2:07 PM Gigabyte <steven.b.hoff@...> wrote:

> I'm wanting to mount the uBitx in a small waterproof enclosure.  The uBitx board fits but the Raduino doesn't fit so I'd like to have a cable so I can mount it in the enclosure somewhere above the uBitx because there isnt enough width to fit it.  I have a 3.5" Nextion I also ordered.  My idea is to put a li-ion battery pack Raspberry Pi, etc in the box. I have a 7" touchscreen I'm going to use with the Pi.  The idea is to have a small all in one go box for digital modes.  The 7" touch screen I plan on mounting in the lid of the box.
>
>  This is a link to the box I have.  https://m.harborfreight.com/1800-weatherproof-protective-case-9-316-in-63518.html
>
> Note: I'm a computer programmer so my understanding there is good. My understanding on the electrical side is basic.  I didn't know if there was a reason you couldn't create a short cable from the uBitx board to the Raduino.  I saw posts saying you could extend the display from the Raduino but not the Raduino to the uBitx.
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 04:13 Ted via Groups.Io <k3rta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>>
>> Nigel,
>>
>> That is a nice setup; it isn't necessary to remote the Raduino in order to do that.
>> I'm wondering what the OP has in mind.
>>

>> Original poster:
>>
>> Are you trying to remote the stock LCD screen and controls, or, a Nextion  type display & controls?  Theoretically, a 9-wire RS-232 shielded cable will have enough connections to do the latter; I've used a 15-pin VGA extension before, for redundant grounds and  stuff and the Raduino stayed with the mainboard.   Might you elaborate on your project, please?
>>

>> Ted
>> K3RTA

Gigabyte

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 13:22 Steven Hoff <steven.b.hoff@...> wrote:
How Long is too long.  Here is a picture of me holding up the arduino. The cable will probably be 2.5" or so.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 13:12 Laurence Oberman <oberman.l@...> wrote:
Hello

The biggest issue is the noise if the cable is too long.
Use a shielded multicore cable and ensure shield is connected to chassis.
I have an extended cable for testing and its OK, but it will pick
induce digital noise back into the rf section if not properly managed.

My 2c

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 2:07 PM Gigabyte <steven.b.hoff@...> wrote:

> I'm wanting to mount the uBitx in a small waterproof enclosure.  The uBitx board fits but the Raduino doesn't fit so I'd like to have a cable so I can mount it in the enclosure somewhere above the uBitx because there isnt enough width to fit it.  I have a 3.5" Nextion I also ordered.  My idea is to put a li-ion battery pack Raspberry Pi, etc in the box. I have a 7" touchscreen I'm going to use with the Pi.  The idea is to have a small all in one go box for digital modes.  The 7" touch screen I plan on mounting in the lid of the box.
>
>  This is a link to the box I have.  https://m.harborfreight.com/1800-weatherproof-protective-case-9-316-in-63518.html
>
> Note: I'm a computer programmer so my understanding there is good. My understanding on the electrical side is basic.  I didn't know if there was a reason you couldn't create a short cable from the uBitx board to the Raduino.  I saw posts saying you could extend the display from the Raduino but not the Raduino to the uBitx.
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 04:13 Ted via Groups.Io <k3rta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>>
>> Nigel,
>>
>> That is a nice setup; it isn't necessary to remote the Raduino in order to do that.
>> I'm wondering what the OP has in mind.
>>

>> Original poster:
>>
>> Are you trying to remote the stock LCD screen and controls, or, a Nextion  type display & controls?  Theoretically, a 9-wire RS-232 shielded cable will have enough connections to do the latter; I've used a 15-pin VGA extension before, for redundant grounds and  stuff and the Raduino stayed with the mainboard.   Might you elaborate on your project, please?
>>

>> Ted
>> K3RTA

Laurence Oberman

Mine is 3ft shielded and works fine so far. Its not always connected
but will be using it this weekend again to figure out my MIC voltage
issue.
You can re purpose an old parallel computer cable with the shielding

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 2:22 PM Gigabyte <@gigabyte> wrote:

[...]

MadRadioModder

A better approach to this would be to leave the raduino plugged into the uBITx... remove the arduino from the raduino board... and remote mount that part. That keeps the RF inside the uBITx box where it really belongs.

This all would have been much easier if the si5351 would have been mounted on the uBITx mother board as good RF design would dictate (keep RF lines short as possible). Then only the I2C and control lines would run to the remote head.

And that would be my 2C

[...]

---
https://www.avg.com

--
…_. _._

Ted

Again:  Why wire the Raduino 2.5" or even feet away, rather than just the display (and controls)?

I don't mean to second guess the design outrught; it may make a big difference in how the answer is applied.  My hope would be that a few inches will make little difference if any.

-ted
K3RTA