Topics

OEM Display Lights up, All Solid Blocks

ronmhauser@...

Hi everyone.  Just got my first uBitx, v5, and wired it up.  On power up the display lights up but sits on the "black boxes" for every character.  I can see the opening text (uBitx 7.150 etc) when I look at the screen from an extreme side angle.  I think I have something hooked up wrong with the display (?) but this arduino, display, stuff is all new to me.  Is this some obvious simple noob error with connecting the display and raduino?

I did try to search for a previously posted answer but if you can point me to some better search tools I would appreciate that also.

Thank you
--Ron
K0EIA

Bill

Have you tried to adjust the pot on the back of the display?

bill k9jui

On 3/12/2019 8:41 AM, ronmhauser via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi everyone.  Just got my first uBitx, v5, and wired it up.  On power up the display lights up but sits on the "black boxes" for every character.  I can see the opening text (uBitx 7.150 etc) when I look at the screen from an extreme side angle.  I think I have something hooked up wrong with the display (?) but this arduino, display, stuff is all new to me.  Is this some obvious simple noob error with connecting the display and raduino?

I did try to search for a previously posted answer but if you can point me to some better search tools I would appreciate that also.

Thank you
--Ron
K0EIA

ronmhauser@...

Aha!  There is an adjustment pot ... Lots to learn here, thanks for the tip.

Michael Hagen

Did you try adjusting contrast pot for LCD.  Also make sure the 5 Volts is at 5 V, should be within +- about .05V.  If still a problem, take the Raduino out and connect it to the USB on your computer and check it.

Let us Know what happens?  There are some voltages you can check on the LCD connector.

The LCD pot usually has to be adjusted when going from running on the PC, to being in the Radio.

73's

Mike, WA6ISP

--
Mike Hagen, WA6ISP
10917 Bryant Street

ronmhauser@...

Mike, Bill, it was as simple as adjusting the brightness pot for the display -- once I knew there was one.  It was set to maximum.  Rig is alive, hearing good, giving it a receive workout before trying transmit, but all good so far.  Thanks!

--Ron
K0EIA

Dexter N Muir

That needs to be on the homepage - for ANY Bitx! The number of queries here ... :(

Jerry Gaffke

Would be nice to figure out why this happens.
A few possibilities:
    A)  Miswires, static discharge, reverse voltage, connector installed one pin over or reversed, blow the processor
    B)  One of the above blows the controller chip on the LCD display
    C)  We need to spend $2.25 each on the Nano and LCD Display instead of $1.75 each.

A and/or B could be fixed with series resistors on IO lines, keyed connectors, a diode on power going in, etc
C could be fixed by spending an extra $0.50
But only if we had enough people doing post-mortems, and posting their findings here.

Jerry, KE7ER