Topics

cannot trust any version or any mod.

Michael Mitchell
 

I am almost finished with my uBitx version 4. It has the following:
Nextion 2.8
SDR receiver/panadapter (switch selectable with input grounding relay when transmitting.)
Built in antenna switch for selecting 1 of 3 antennas.
UHF antenna connector for SDR
VHF antenna connector for SDR both switch selectable.
Built in auto tuner.
built in power supply Plus a 5 volt and 9 volt buck supply.
Fuses for everything
Nice case and labeled front and rear panel.

BUT It seems to me there is nothing that make these radios U.S. reliably legal.
I think its time for the company to solve all the problems before selling any more units . Unless I can be convinced that I am wrong I will be selling my radio as soon as I test it.
I think the advertising for the radio is very misleading. It seems that the longer the radio has been produced the more problems appear. NOT what the initial advertising said.  If it were possible I would ask for a refund but even a full refund doesnt come close to what I have invested.

Brutus Laurentius
 

How much do you want for all that stuff?

Laurence Oberman
 

Hi Michael.

Please share your test results when you can.

I have this issue on 20m only in cw on the v4, where I have close
harmonic spurs about 10b down only.
I already mentioned it on list
The rest seem fine all tests into a dummy load witha coupler and
attenuator to the Spec an
I am using a Nextion with Ian Lee's code.

I did swap the V5 this morning and so far all bands look OK to me on
CW into the dummy load and checking on the Spec an.

73
Laurence Oberman
KB1HKO


On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 12:30 PM Michael Mitchell
<mitchellmichaelh@...> wrote:

I am almost finished with my uBitx version 4. It has the following:
Nextion 2.8
SDR receiver/panadapter (switch selectable with input grounding relay when transmitting.)
Built in antenna switch for selecting 1 of 3 antennas.
UHF antenna connector for SDR
VHF antenna connector for SDR both switch selectable.
Built in auto tuner.
built in power supply Plus a 5 volt and 9 volt buck supply.
Fuses for everything
Nice case and labeled front and rear panel.

BUT It seems to me there is nothing that make these radios U.S. reliably legal.
I think its time for the company to solve all the problems before selling any more units . Unless I can be convinced that I am wrong I will be selling my radio as soon as I test it.
I think the advertising for the radio is very misleading. It seems that the longer the radio has been produced the more problems appear. NOT what the initial advertising said. If it were possible I would ask for a refund but even a full refund doesnt come close to what I have invested.

Laurence Oberman
 

I should add that I have not calibrated the V5 at all and that is
using stock firmware, not Ian's beta v5.
I was focusing only on the spurs and so far from an FCC point of view
at first looks it looks OK to me.

I need to spend more time on it but this is what the configuration is right now.

V5 board put into the case I had my V4 in, cover is off
Antenna to a directional coupler input, output to the dummy load
Couple port to Siglent via a 20DB attenuator

Test each band using CW straight KEY and transmit
Check harmonic spurs and see if we have them are they with FCC specs
down from the Fundamental

Have not done any SSB tests yet

Thank
At work now so will test more tonight

Thanks
Laurence


On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 2:04 PM Laurence Oberman via Groups.Io
<oberman.l=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Michael.

Please share your test results when you can.

I have this issue on 20m only in cw on the v4, where I have close
harmonic spurs about 10b down only.
I already mentioned it on list
The rest seem fine all tests into a dummy load witha coupler and
attenuator to the Spec an
I am using a Nextion with Ian Lee's code.

I did swap the V5 this morning and so far all bands look OK to me on
CW into the dummy load and checking on the Spec an.

73
Laurence Oberman
KB1HKO


On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 12:30 PM Michael Mitchell
<mitchellmichaelh@...> wrote:

I am almost finished with my uBitx version 4. It has the following:
Nextion 2.8
SDR receiver/panadapter (switch selectable with input grounding relay when transmitting.)
Built in antenna switch for selecting 1 of 3 antennas.
UHF antenna connector for SDR
VHF antenna connector for SDR both switch selectable.
Built in auto tuner.
built in power supply Plus a 5 volt and 9 volt buck supply.
Fuses for everything
Nice case and labeled front and rear panel.

BUT It seems to me there is nothing that make these radios U.S. reliably legal.
I think its time for the company to solve all the problems before selling any more units . Unless I can be convinced that I am wrong I will be selling my radio as soon as I test it.
I think the advertising for the radio is very misleading. It seems that the longer the radio has been produced the more problems appear. NOT what the initial advertising said. If it were possible I would ask for a refund but even a full refund doesnt come close to what I have invested.

Jim Myers
 

Avoid the self-induced stress and tell us a price. Most of us are more than capable of making this radio perfectly legal and reliable.

Michael Mitchell
 

In the 70's I was a radio tech (marine and business ) I was an electronics teacher. What I am trying to say is I am perfectly able to get the radio working which is why I am not selling it until I do. What I am saying is even with all the band aids the radio was misrepresented and it seems new problems pop up every week.Therefor I cannot trust this radio.
At the moment I have $280 plus  invested.. If I sell it it will be an Ebay auction. If I dont sell it will sit on a shelf .

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 9:17 AM Jim Myers <kd7eir@...> wrote:
Avoid the self-induced stress and tell us a price. Most of us are more than capable of making this radio perfectly legal and reliable.



--
WM4MM

Laurence Oberman
 

Mike
I think some frustration indeed but I trust you will indeed get this
unit working to your expectation and within FCC specs.
What I would suggest is you work on that with as few additions as
possible to the board, other than the needed mods.

For me to be honest its part of the fun of this radio.

I am an Electrical Engineer who went into Embedded software/hardware
mostly digital very young and what this has done is force me once
again to involve myself in RF electronics and its great.

Sincerely
Laurence
KB1HKO

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 9:28 AM Michael Mitchell
<mitchellmichaelh@...> wrote:

In the 70's I was a radio tech (marine and business ) I was an electronics teacher. What I am trying to say is I am perfectly able to get the radio working which is why I am not selling it until I do. What I am saying is even with all the band aids the radio was misrepresented and it seems new problems pop up every week.Therefor I cannot trust this radio.
At the moment I have $280 plus invested.. If I sell it it will be an Ebay auction. If I dont sell it will sit on a shelf .

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 9:17 AM Jim Myers <kd7eir@...> wrote:

Avoid the self-induced stress and tell us a price. Most of us are more than capable of making this radio perfectly legal and reliable.


--
WM4MM

Michael Mitchell
 

I have to admit I do talk to it when I am working on it. But I always finish ,or at least as much as possible, finish what I start. Not having any real RF test gear I wont know if I am “legal” or not. All my additions will connect to the radio after its working . I just mounted the parts and switches. Actually none need any mods to the radio except for the display.

Thanks for the encouragement.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Laurence Oberman
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2019 1:49 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] cannot trust any version or any mod.

 

Mike

I think some frustration indeed but I trust you will indeed get this

unit working to your expectation and within FCC specs.

What I would suggest is you work on that with as few additions as

possible to the board, other than the needed mods.

 

For me to be honest its part of the fun of this radio.

 

I am an Electrical Engineer who went into Embedded software/hardware

mostly digital very young and what this has done is force me once

again to involve myself in RF electronics and its great.

 

Sincerely

Laurence

KB1HKO

 

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 9:28 AM Michael Mitchell

<mitchellmichaelh@...> wrote:

> In the 70's I was a radio tech (marine and business ) I was an electronics teacher. What I am trying to say is I am perfectly able to get the radio working which is why I am not selling it until I do. What I am saying is even with all the band aids the radio was misrepresented and it seems new problems pop up every week.Therefor I cannot trust this radio.

> At the moment I have $280 plus  invested.. If I sell it it will be an Ebay auction. If I dont sell it will sit on a shelf .

> On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 9:17 AM Jim Myers <kd7eir@...> wrote:

>> 

>> Avoid the self-induced stress and tell us a price. Most of us are more than capable of making this radio perfectly legal and reliable.

> --

> WM4MM

>

 

 

 

Laurence Oberman
 

Mike

Where are you located.
I am sure there is a school in the area or a ham club that could help with test gear.
Any Spectrum Analyser test tool. Even an sdr with a down converter and proper attenuation woul show the spurs.

I am in Massachusetts and happy to try help you.

Regards
Laurence


On Thu, Mar 7, 2019, 5:21 PM Michael Mitchell <mitchellmichaelh@...> wrote:

I have to admit I do talk to it when I am working on it. But I always finish ,or at least as much as possible, finish what I start. Not having any real RF test gear I wont know if I am “legal” or not. All my additions will connect to the radio after its working . I just mounted the parts and switches. Actually none need any mods to the radio except for the display.

Thanks for the encouragement.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Laurence Oberman
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2019 1:49 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] cannot trust any version or any mod.

 

Mike

I think some frustration indeed but I trust you will indeed get this

unit working to your expectation and within FCC specs.

What I would suggest is you work on that with as few additions as

possible to the board, other than the needed mods.

 

For me to be honest its part of the fun of this radio.

 

I am an Electrical Engineer who went into Embedded software/hardware

mostly digital very young and what this has done is force me once

again to involve myself in RF electronics and its great.

 

Sincerely

Laurence

KB1HKO

 

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 9:28 AM Michael Mitchell

<mitchellmichaelh@...> wrote:

> 

> In the 70's I was a radio tech (marine and business ) I was an electronics teacher. What I am trying to say is I am perfectly able to get the radio working which is why I am not selling it until I do. What I am saying is even with all the band aids the radio was misrepresented and it seems new problems pop up every week.Therefor I cannot trust this radio.

> At the moment I have $280 plus  invested.. If I sell it it will be an Ebay auction. If I dont sell it will sit on a shelf .

> 

> On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 9:17 AM Jim Myers <kd7eir@...> wrote:

>> 

>> Avoid the self-induced stress and tell us a price. Most of us are more than capable of making this radio perfectly legal and reliable.

> 

> 

> 

> --

> WM4MM

>

 

 

 

Curt
 

Michael

I anticipate that a reliable cure for spurious will emerge soon for v3 and v4, and may apply for v5. Its understood that most of us don't possess a spectrum analyzer. My local club is building 23 ubitx v4 units, and we are correcting spurious. I just got hack in town so I need to find the latest info. I hope you and others hold onto the ubitx to continue with the cool rig. My untreated rig is compliant before mods on several bands. My data is posted here, a summary table.

Curt

Laurence Oberman
 

Curt
Indeed agreed.
My V4 is only marginally out of spec on 20m using CW tests.
The V5 seemed OK on all bands on CW but at the moment is picking up a  lot more broadcast signals off the same antenna.
Very strange. Almost like it's more sensitive than the V4.
I put a nooelec filter in line with the antenna and that helped.

Anybody else finding the V5 more sensitive ?

Will finish all tests this weekend and share.

Thanks
Laurence
KB1HKO

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019, 8:15 PM Curt via Groups.Io <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Michael

I anticipate that a reliable cure for spurious will emerge soon for v3 and v4, and may apply for v5. Its understood that most of us don't possess a spectrum analyzer. My local club is building 23 ubitx v4 units, and we are correcting spurious. I just got hack in town so I need to find the latest info. I hope you and others hold onto the ubitx to continue with the cool rig. My untreated rig is compliant before mods on several bands. My data is posted here, a summary table.

Curt

Jack, W8TEE
 

Also check your local Junior College/Universities EE or physics departments. Even some high schools have SA these days. Phone companies and cable TV companies may also have equipment.

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, March 7, 2019, 7:22:39 PM EST, Laurence Oberman <oberman.l@...> wrote:


Mike

Where are you located.
I am sure there is a school in the area or a ham club that could help with test gear.
Any Spectrum Analyser test tool. Even an sdr with a down converter and proper attenuation woul show the spurs.

I am in Massachusetts and happy to try help you.

Regards
Laurence

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019, 5:21 PM Michael Mitchell <mitchellmichaelh@...> wrote:

I have to admit I do talk to it when I am working on it. But I always finish ,or at least as much as possible, finish what I start. Not having any real RF test gear I wont know if I am “legal” or not. All my additions will connect to the radio after its working . I just mounted the parts and switches. Actually none need any mods to the radio except for the display.

Thanks for the encouragement.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Laurence Oberman
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2019 1:49 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] cannot trust any version or any mod.

 

Mike

I think some frustration indeed but I trust you will indeed get this

unit working to your expectation and within FCC specs.

What I would suggest is you work on that with as few additions as

possible to the board, other than the needed mods.

 

For me to be honest its part of the fun of this radio.

 

I am an Electrical Engineer who went into Embedded software/hardware

mostly digital very young and what this has done is force me once

again to involve myself in RF electronics and its great.

 

Sincerely

Laurence

KB1HKO

 

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 9:28 AM Michael Mitchell

<mitchellmichaelh@...> wrote:

> 

> In the 70's I was a radio tech (marine and business ) I was an electronics teacher. What I am trying to say is I am perfectly able to get the radio working which is why I am not selling it until I do. What I am saying is even with all the band aids the radio was misrepresented and it seems new problems pop up every week.Therefor I cannot trust this radio.

> At the moment I have $280 plus  invested.. If I sell it it will be an Ebay auction. If I dont sell it will sit on a shelf .

> 

> On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 9:17 AM Jim Myers <kd7eir@...> wrote:

>> 

>> Avoid the self-induced stress and tell us a price. Most of us are more than capable of making this radio perfectly legal and reliable.

> 

> 

> 

> --

> WM4MM

>

 

 

 

Brutus Laurentius
 

It is more sensitive bc of the different transistors it's using .