Topics

2m under threat for Thales

Mark m1bxd
 

https://hackaday.com/2019/07/01/the-backbone-of-vhf-amateur-radio-may-be-under-threat/

Jim
 

Yikes! We all better get on this one.

iz oos
 

Yes, this is the only way to shut AO-7 down. A really unfortunate proposal, we have so many well functioning satellites with 2m downlink, repeaters and is the most used band by hams beyond HF.


Il 02/lug/2019 17:43, "Jim" <Jscook@...> ha scritto:
Yikes! We all better get on this one.



Dennis Beverage
 

When you throw out statements like this without full and clear explanation of what is going on readers just get confused and go somewhere else.  While I don’t watch or use satellite downlinks very often, I am a ham operator who is interested in preserving and protecting our assets in all areas of operation.  But a statement like this gives me and many others absolutely nothing to go on.  How about some specifics on actions to take.

sodypop
KJ6VGB

Brent D
 

There is a petition on change.org. 
http://chng.it/VQK5wh9nFJ

Regardless of where you live or whether you work satellites, this will affect you. Once you lose something, it's SO much harder to get it back and VERY easy to justify the loss to other regions (what if they get interference that they can blame on other region use of 2m?). 

We all need to take action on this. Get the word out. 

Gary Anderson
 

Restraint Urged in Response to 2-Meter Reallocation Proposal
http://www.arrl.org/news/restraint-urged-in-response-to-2-meter-reallocation-proposal

Vince Vielhaber
 

The best way to NOT lose it is to USE it. Have you listened to 2 meters lately? Reoeaters are dead, many of those that are on it don't want any outsiders joining them, ...

Vince - K8ZW.

On 07/02/2019 01:19 PM, Brent D wrote:
There is a petition on change.org.
http://chng.it/VQK5wh9nFJ

Regardless of where you live or whether you work satellites, this will
affect you. Once you lose something, it's SO much harder to get it back
and VERY easy to justify the loss to other regions (what if they get
interference that they can blame on other region use of 2m?).

We all need to take action on this. Get the word out.

Vaughn
 

Agree we need to use them all to stop us loosing them, but as for the 2m band it is very used in my area, Ipswich UK. Every week there are LARC and FDARS nets, open to all, using both repeaters, GB3PO LARC, and simplex, 145,400MHz FDARS. RAYNET also use the PO repeater each Sunday and on thier shouts they use PO or simplex, while offering coms for local events.

Again I agree, we need to use these or, loose them. Lets all join the talk/fight for all , if not just for ourselves. Vaughn

Dexter N Muir
 

Firstly, a confusing headline.  The 2m band , Globally assigned to Amateur Radio as Primary user, is under threat BY Thales, a global Corporate!
ARRL urges restraint? OK, how about collating international reaction to a mallet-blow against Thales and any regulator acceding to this hare-brained proposal?

de ZL2DEX

Gordon Gibby
 

Well I don’t use that many repeaters, but I keep 4000 mi.² covered with packet! WINLINK running all over. Tons of educational things all the time

On Jul 2, 2019, at 16:02, Vince Vielhaber <vev@...> wrote:

The best way to NOT lose it is to USE it. Have you listened to 2 meters lately? Reoeaters are dead, many of those that are on it don't want any outsiders joining them, ...

Vince - K8ZW.


On 07/02/2019 01:19 PM, Brent D wrote:
There is a petition on change.org.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__chng.it_VQK5wh9nFJ&d=DwICaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=ltiJ4bXhnJEBTfytFRnUaGji4840yIq7qd_T-TqsXrA&m=aSRrebQh0WxP_kKKKZhpBg30mk6GLe0lvPXiXJeI7E4&s=nLFc0yAVCg310Si3p2A6rUUYEt43JwHS2X-dfrGlLpo&e=
Regardless of where you live or whether you work satellites, this will
affect you. Once you lose something, it's SO much harder to get it back
and VERY easy to justify the loss to other regions (what if they get
interference that they can blame on other region use of 2m?).

We all need to take action on this. Get the word out.
--
K8ZW https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.metalworkingfun.com&d=DwICaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=ltiJ4bXhnJEBTfytFRnUaGji4840yIq7qd_T-TqsXrA&m=aSRrebQh0WxP_kKKKZhpBg30mk6GLe0lvPXiXJeI7E4&s=5RcSBgvISKL78ZoOjigOr1Hx8BG-i6tgNO6Wcbrc0_k&e= https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.hamradio.fun&d=DwICaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=ltiJ4bXhnJEBTfytFRnUaGji4840yIq7qd_T-TqsXrA&m=aSRrebQh0WxP_kKKKZhpBg30mk6GLe0lvPXiXJeI7E4&s=Mtlay5rkfg2bSUIPatiq6Ly0gpXefVizEr2MhLFJL1w&e=

Evan Hand
 

Vince is correct in that we need to demonstrate both use AND I would add VALUE to those that allocate resources.  In my area we use the 2m repeater for our weekly RACES/ARES check in as practice for when an emergency would need the communication services.  One example of community value for the frequency allocation.  We also use the repeater and simplex frequencies for support of community functions like races and rallies.  Again showing value returned for the small resource invested.

Maybe we need to get the word out that these type of services are happening for both more participation by other amateurs and understanding of how it is useful to the public.

Above are my thoughts, yours may differ.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Mark m1bxd
 

Hi Dennis,

It was just an immediate news item when I posted it, Brent has now listed a change.org petition I was unaware off right at that time.

73's

Mark 

F8VOA
 

WERE TO FIND THIS CHANGE.ORG ,

Op 3/07/2019 om 9:33 schreef Mark m1bxd:

Hi Dennis,

It was just an immediate news item when I posted it, Brent has now listed a change.org petition I was unaware off right at that time.

73's

Mark 

Jim Strohm
 

This is the word from ARRL.


So don't get all bent out of shape on this issue.  We (AKA the ARRL and all the western European amateur NGO organizations) are keeping their collective fingers on the pulse of this issue.  

73
Jim N6OTQ

Curt
 

After reading I concur that this spectrum threat will be sufficiently addressed, if it goes anywhere at all.  I think I am remembering that many nations only have amateur spectrum up to 146 MHz?  In the US maybe 2/3rd of our repeaters may be above 146 MHz. 

Indeed 25-30 years ago in the US the 2m band was often full of signals, voice and packet radio.  Dense areas were using 222 and 440 MHz because repeaters were said to be full (maybe allocations more than actual use?).  of course this was pre-internet for most of us. 

2m spectrum is still vital but much quieter here in eastern US - glad to hear at least one area of the UK has it busy on a repeater.  given spectral scarcity and our collective use - heresy maybe - but I wonder if 2 MHz might be enough spectrum now.  non-FM uses are happy with thin slices throughout the spectrum.  but a huge headache to relocate a vast number of repeaters. 

Let's see we have less than 6 years to start using the 2m spectrum a lot more! 

73 Curt

KD2QMZ
 


On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 11:21 AM Curt via Groups.Io <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
After reading I concur that this spectrum threat will be sufficiently addressed, if it goes anywhere at all.  I think I am remembering that many nations only have amateur spectrum up to 146 MHz?  In the US maybe 2/3rd of our repeaters may be above 146 MHz. 

Indeed 25-30 years ago in the US the 2m band was often full of signals, voice and packet radio.  Dense areas were using 222 and 440 MHz because repeaters were said to be full (maybe allocations more than actual use?).  of course this was pre-internet for most of us. 

2m spectrum is still vital but much quieter here in eastern US - glad to hear at least one area of the UK has it busy on a repeater.  given spectral scarcity and our collective use - heresy maybe - but I wonder if 2 MHz might be enough spectrum now.  non-FM uses are happy with thin slices throughout the spectrum.  but a huge headache to relocate a vast number of repeaters. 

Let's see we have less than 6 years to start using the 2m spectrum a lot more! 

73 Curt

Lawrence Galea
 

Spread the word as much as you can especially on facebook


On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 9:04 PM KD2QMZ <syracusepro@...> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 11:21 AM Curt via Groups.Io <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
After reading I concur that this spectrum threat will be sufficiently addressed, if it goes anywhere at all.  I think I am remembering that many nations only have amateur spectrum up to 146 MHz?  In the US maybe 2/3rd of our repeaters may be above 146 MHz. 

Indeed 25-30 years ago in the US the 2m band was often full of signals, voice and packet radio.  Dense areas were using 222 and 440 MHz because repeaters were said to be full (maybe allocations more than actual use?).  of course this was pre-internet for most of us. 

2m spectrum is still vital but much quieter here in eastern US - glad to hear at least one area of the UK has it busy on a repeater.  given spectral scarcity and our collective use - heresy maybe - but I wonder if 2 MHz might be enough spectrum now.  non-FM uses are happy with thin slices throughout the spectrum.  but a huge headache to relocate a vast number of repeaters. 

Let's see we have less than 6 years to start using the 2m spectrum a lot more! 

73 Curt

Lawrence Galea
 

ps and other social media


On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 10:30 PM Lawrence Galea <9h1avlaw@...> wrote:
Spread the word as much as you can especially on facebook


On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 9:04 PM KD2QMZ <syracusepro@...> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 11:21 AM Curt via Groups.Io <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
After reading I concur that this spectrum threat will be sufficiently addressed, if it goes anywhere at all.  I think I am remembering that many nations only have amateur spectrum up to 146 MHz?  In the US maybe 2/3rd of our repeaters may be above 146 MHz. 

Indeed 25-30 years ago in the US the 2m band was often full of signals, voice and packet radio.  Dense areas were using 222 and 440 MHz because repeaters were said to be full (maybe allocations more than actual use?).  of course this was pre-internet for most of us. 

2m spectrum is still vital but much quieter here in eastern US - glad to hear at least one area of the UK has it busy on a repeater.  given spectral scarcity and our collective use - heresy maybe - but I wonder if 2 MHz might be enough spectrum now.  non-FM uses are happy with thin slices throughout the spectrum.  but a huge headache to relocate a vast number of repeaters. 

Let's see we have less than 6 years to start using the 2m spectrum a lot more! 

73 Curt

Laurence Oberman
 

If we have ARES and RACES members who use those frequencies during
hurricanes and other natural disasters to assist the public they
should all reach out in to their appointed political representatives,
congressman etc.

I know VHF depends on repeaters etc and in natural disasters those are
also affected but many have battery backup etc. and have been useful
in the past.

I know this started in Europe so not sure who the European HMS need to
press on this.

Regards and 73
KB1HKO
Laurence

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 4:31 PM Lawrence Galea <9h1avlaw@...> wrote:

ps and other social media


On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 10:30 PM Lawrence Galea <9h1avlaw@...> wrote:

Spread the word as much as you can especially on facebook


On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 9:04 PM KD2QMZ <syracusepro@...> wrote:

From the ARRL:

http://www.arrl.org/news/restraint-urged-in-response-to-2-meter-reallocation-proposal


On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 11:21 AM Curt via Groups.Io <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

After reading I concur that this spectrum threat will be sufficiently addressed, if it goes anywhere at all. I think I am remembering that many nations only have amateur spectrum up to 146 MHz? In the US maybe 2/3rd of our repeaters may be above 146 MHz.

Indeed 25-30 years ago in the US the 2m band was often full of signals, voice and packet radio. Dense areas were using 222 and 440 MHz because repeaters were said to be full (maybe allocations more than actual use?). of course this was pre-internet for most of us.

2m spectrum is still vital but much quieter here in eastern US - glad to hear at least one area of the UK has it busy on a repeater. given spectral scarcity and our collective use - heresy maybe - but I wonder if 2 MHz might be enough spectrum now. non-FM uses are happy with thin slices throughout the spectrum. but a huge headache to relocate a vast number of repeaters.

Let's see we have less than 6 years to start using the 2m spectrum a lot more!

73 Curt

Dennis Beverage
 

So it would appear that ARRL and the IARU are both paying close attention to this band allocation issue and that both favor retention of the band use for amature operators.  Since these two organizations are the pipeline for band allocation here in the USA I feel we ought to follow their lead.  I’m not sure about support organization in the EU, but it would appear that those bases are covered also.   Leadership in both zones is asking that we as individual operators funnel our support for 2m band retention through them, rather than creating our own special interest petitions.  JMO

sodypop
kj6vgb