Topics

Sweeperino?

Michael Hagen

I looked at the schematic for Sweeperino.

When I go look at Mouser, the SI 517 is only for 3.3V.  And it starts at 10 MHz.

There is a 514?  Goes down to 100Khz.  I wonder if the Library works with that one too?

Both I2C.

Thanks for any info.

Mike, WA6ISP

On 2/13/2019 11:31 AM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io wrote:
A GDO is an oscillator, and some way to measure how much power is getting sucked away from it by a circuit under test.
So Raduino + Detector should also do that, basically build Farhan's sweeperino:
    http://hfsignals.blogspot.com/p/sweeperino.html

To measure inductance, put a known capacitance in parallel with the unknown inductance
and measure the passband of the resultant filter.
Not unlike how one would use a GDO, except the si5351 gives a very accurate frequency
and the ad8307 has a huge dynamic range.  An ad8307 chip is $0.30 if you get a dozen.

A schottky diode RF detector would be easier to cobble together from the junkbox,
and sensitive enough for many uses.
Alternately, get an ebay ad8307 module for $10.

Nick kindly added pads for an ad8307 on his RaduinoI2C, so makes a complete sweeperino:
    https://vk4pp.blogspot.com/p/vk4pp-raduinoi2c-board.html
    https://groups.io/g/BITX20/topic/raduino_replacemnt_coming/10962196
Did anyone ever try it with an ad8307 stuffed, see what kind of noise level it got?

The GDO found many uses through various tricks over the decades.
Would be interesting to dig through those, figure out ways to do them all with a sweeperino.

Jerry

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 10:17 AM, MadRadioModder wrote:

Should be able to repurpose a raduino (a bit of new code) and add a detector.  Pretty simple.

--
Mike Hagen, WA6ISP
10917 Bryant Street

Jerry Gaffke

The sweeperino used the $10 si570, Farhan got it  down to 4mhz, CMOS out version goes up to 160mhz, popular for over a decade.
The si514 is similar to the si570, 100khz-250mhz, came out later and doesn't have much of a following in the hobbyist community.
The si5351 (as used on the Raduino) is 4khz-225mhz, is only $1 and can provide multiple clocks.
All three of the above operate from 3.3v.  (Probably don't want the 1.8v and 2.5v si570 variants, and be sure it's the CMOS out)

So you could start with a Raduino (already has the si5351) as MMR suggested.
Or start with a Nano, an si5351 breakout board (Adafruit/QRPLabs/Etherkit), and an i2c LCD display with pullups removed.
Then add some sort of detector (either an ad8307 or diode detector) that feeds an ADC input of the Nano..
You may be writing software for this (replace the sweeperino's si570 code with the uBitx's si5351bx routines).
If you don't want to write code, perhaps somebody in this forum already has or is willing to take it on.
Alternately, just follow Farhan's sweeperino recipe using his CMOS 3.3v si570, and use the Nano software he posted.

Jerry

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 12:22 PM, Michael Hagen wrote:

I looked at the schematic for Sweeperino.

When I go look at Mouser, the SI 517 is only for 3.3V.  And it starts at 10 MHz.

There is a 514?  Goes down to 100Khz.  I wonder if the Library works with that one too?

Both I2C.

Thanks for any info.

Mike, WA6ISP

Ashhar Farhan

Sweeperino is dated. The Antuino that I posted a few weeks ago is a far better device. It is almost a spectrum analyzer, a very good antenna analyzer and an SNA rolles into one. It uses ans Si5351 instead.
- f

On Thu 14 Feb, 2019, 3:27 AM Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
[...]

MadRadioModder

Yep, I missed this thing the first time around.  I had a look at the schematic and it’s perfect!  Just what I would have done. You saved me some work in reinventing the wheel!   NOW…Just need someone to make up boards…

MRM

[...]

…_. _._

Ricardo Suarez

Hello, Ashhar

Can tell us if you have posted the board of the antuino on any place?

Regards

Rick
LU9DA

El 14/2/2019 a las 01:40, Ashhar Farhan escribió:
[...]

Tom, wb6b

I think the link here is the one.

https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/64772

Tom, wb6b

Ashhar Farhan

The latest version is on https://github.com/afarhan/antuino

Please be warned that this is still 8n production hell. I would want some more gain post filter and probably a second filter with two crystals right before the AD8307.
- f

On Thu 14 Feb, 2019, 9:32 AM Tom, wb6b <wb6b@... wrote:
I think the link here is the one.

https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/64772

Tom, wb6b

gerrykav

Great. Another project.
I am adding them at a higher rate than I can complete them... my legacy to my kids will be a shed full of unbuilt projects.
/ Gerry

Ashhar Farhan

Of all, this should be your first project. It will all the others.
- f

On Fri 15 Feb, 2019, 5:56 PM gerrykav via Groups.Io <gerrykav=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io wrote:
Great. Another project.
I am adding them at a higher rate than I can complete them... my legacy to my kids will be a shed full of unbuilt projects.
/ Gerry

matjaz

Hello,
I try to compile antuino, but recevied many errors.

Best regards

Matjaz

C:\antuino\antuino-master\antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2\antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2.ino:
In function 'int calibrateClock()':

antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2:62: error: 'xtal_freq_calibrated' was not
declared in this scope

prev_calibration = xtal_freq_calibrated;

^

antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2:65: error: 'si5351aSetFrequency_clk1' was not
declared in this scope

si5351aSetFrequency_clk1(10000000l);

^

C:\antuino\antuino-master\antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2\antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2.ino:
In function 'void takeReading(long int)':

antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2:300: error: 'si5351aSetFrequency_clk2' was not
declared in this scope

si5351aSetFrequency_clk2(local_osc);

^

antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2:304: error: 'si5351aSetFrequency_clk0' was not
declared in this scope

si5351aSetFrequency_clk0(newfreq);

^

antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2:311: error: 'si5351aSetFrequency_clk1' was not
declared in this scope

si5351aSetFrequency_clk1(newfreq);

^

C:\antuino\antuino-master\antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2\antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2.ino:
In function 'void setup()':

antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2:326: error: 'xtal_freq_calibrated' was not
declared in this scope

EEPROM.get(MASTER_CAL, xtal_freq_calibrated);

^

antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2:352: error: 'si5351aOutputOff' was not declared
in this scope

si5351aOutputOff(SI_CLK0_CONTROL);

^

C:\antuino\antuino-master\antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2\antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2.ino:
In function 'int menuSelectAntAnalyzer(int)':

antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2:535: error: 'si5351aOutputOff' was not declared
in this scope

si5351aOutputOff(SI_CLK0_CONTROL);

^

C:\antuino\antuino-master\antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2\antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2.ino:
In function 'int menuCalibrate2(int)':

antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2:594: error: 'si5351aOutputOff' was not declared
in this scope

si5351aOutputOff(SI_CLK0_CONTROL);

^

C:\antuino\antuino-master\antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2\antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2.ino:
In function 'int menuSelectMeasurementRx(int)':

antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2:614: error: 'si5351aOutputOff' was not declared
in this scope

si5351aOutputOff(SI_CLK0_CONTROL);

^

C:\antuino\antuino-master\antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2\antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2.ino:
In function 'int menuSelectNetworkAnalyzer(int)':

antuino_analyzer_27mhz_v2:633: error: 'si5351aOutputOff' was not declared
in this scope

si5351aOutputOff(SI_CLK1_CONTROL);

^

exit status 1
'xtal_freq_calibrated' was not declared in this scope

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 18:05:46 +0530, "Ashhar Farhan" <farhanbox@...>
wrote:
Of all, this should be your first project. It will all the others.- f
On Fri 15 Feb, 2019, 5:56 PM gerrykav via Groups.Io

Links:
------
[1] mailto:yahoo.co.uk@groups.io
[2] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/65375
[3]
mailto:BITX20@groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BBITX20%5D%20Sweeperino%3F
[4]
mailto:farhanbox@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BBITX20%5D%20Sweeperino%3F
[5] https://groups.io/mt/29791995/180494
[6] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/post
[7] http://www.phonestack.com/farhan/bitx.html
[8] http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/bitx40/
[9] http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx/
[10] https://amateurradiokits.in/store/
[11] http://ubitx.net/
[12] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/wiki/home
[13] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/editsub/180494
[14] mailto:BITX20+owner@groups.io
[15] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/leave/defanged

Karl Heinz Kremer, K5KHK

It looks like you don't have the file si5351.ino in the same directory as the actual antonio sketch. I assume that when you first tried to compile the sketch, the Arduino IDE told you that the sketch needs to be in a folder with a certain name, and whether you want it to create that folder. That takes care of the correct folder structure, and it will move the main INO file into that folder, but it will not move the si5351.ino file, so you will have to move that manually, and after that, things should compile - still with a few warnings, but the compiler and linker will finish without any errors.
--
Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Jack Purdum

Matjaz:

The Arduino GNU compiler performs type checking on function arguments, which means it needs to have what is called a function prototype. For example, suppose you write a function named MySquare() that takes an integer variable as its argument:

int MySquare(int number)
{
   return number * number;
}

The compiler needs to know things about this function before it can properly compile the program. To fix this, add this line at the very top of your program:

long MySquare(int number);            // This is a function prototype for MySquare()

When the compiler reads the function prototype, it takes the attributes of the function (e.g., it returns a long, it takes an int as an argument, and its ID is MyFunction) and stores that information in something called a symbol table. Later in the program when you use this function, the compiler can look in the symbol table to check that you're passing the correct data type to it (int) and assigning what is returned from the function into a matching (long) data type The error in yellow below is an example of the compiler not finding a function prototype.

The first error means that the definition of xtal_freq_calibrated was not found in the compiler's symbol table by the time it reached that point in the program. If this is someone else's code that you copied, this could be as simple as misspelling the variable name. Whatever the reason, it's caused by that variable not being in the symbol table. To more fully understand these types of errors, try reading:

and see if that helps.

Jack, W8TEE
(aka econjack)

wrote:
> Of all, this should be your first project. It will all the others.- f
> On Fri 15 Feb, 2019, 5:56 PM gerrykav via Groups.Io
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:yahoo.co.uk@groups.io
> [2] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/65375
> [3]

mailto:BITX20@groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BBITX20%5D%20Sweeperino%3F
> [4]

mailto:farhanbox@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BBITX20%5D%20Sweeperino%3F
> [5] https://groups.io/mt/29791995/180494
> [6] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/post
> [7] http://www.phonestack.com/farhan/bitx.html
> [8] http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/bitx40/
> [9] http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx/
> [10] https://amateurradiokits.in/store/
> [11] http://ubitx.net/
> [12] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/wiki/home
> [13] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/editsub/180494
> [14] mailto:BITX20+owner@groups.io
> [15] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/leave/defanged

matjaz

Hey,
tnx for ansver and instruction how to.
Karl Heinz tnx , I try with Si5351a.ino in the same place.
Still recevied mistake.
This is original file from https://github.com/afarhan/antuino Made by
Afarhan.
Include file with errors.

By and 73 Matjaz S56ZVD

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 14:53:18 +0000 (UTC), "Jack Purdum via Groups.Io"
<jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

What is Scope? [1]

WHAT IS SCOPE?

What is Scope?

wrote:
Of all, this should be your first project. It will all the others.- f
On Fri 15 Feb, 2019, 5:56 PM gerrykav via Groups.Io

Links:
------
[1] mailto:yahoo.co.uk@groups.io [3]
[2] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/65375 [4]
[3]
mailto:BITX20@groups.io
[5]?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BBITX20%5D%20Sweeperino%3F
[4]
mailto:farhanbox@...
[6]?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BBITX20%5D%20Sweeperino%3F
[5] https://groups.io/mt/29791995/180494 [7]
[6] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/post [8]
[7] http://www.phonestack.com/farhan/bitx.html [9]
[8] http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/bitx40/ [10]
[9] http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx/ [11]
[10] https://amateurradiokits.in/store/ [12]
[11] http://ubitx.net/ [13]
[12] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/wiki/home [14]
[13] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/editsub/180494 [15]
[14] mailto:BITX20+owner@groups.io [16]
[15] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/leave/defanged [17]

Links:
------
[1] http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=383064.0
[2] mailto:farhanbox@...
[3] mailto:yahoo.co.uk@groups.io
[4] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/65375
[5] mailto:BITX20@groups.io
[6] mailto:farhanbox@...
[7] https://groups.io/mt/29791995/180494
[8] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/post
[9] http://www.phonestack.com/farhan/bitx.html
[10] http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/bitx40/
[11] http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx/
[12] https://amateurradiokits.in/store/
[13] http://ubitx.net/
[14] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/wiki/home
[15] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/editsub/180494
[16] mailto:owner@groups.io
[17] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/leave/defanged
[18] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/65380
[19]
mailto:BITX20@groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BBITX20%5D%20Sweeperino%3F
[20]
mailto:jjpurdum@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BBITX20%5D%20Sweeperino%3F
[21] https://groups.io/mt/29791995/180494
[22] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/post
[23] http://www.phonestack.com/farhan/bitx.html
[24] http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/bitx40/
[25] http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx/
[26] https://amateurradiokits.in/store/
[27] http://ubitx.net/
[28] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/wiki/home
[29] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/editsub/180494
[30] mailto:BITX20+owner@groups.io
[31] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/leave/defanged

Karl Heinz Kremer, K5KHK

The variable/constant xtal_freq_calibrated is set at the top of the antuino sketch:

#include <Wire.h>

#include <EEPROM.h>

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

//#define XTAL_FREQ 24996900l;             // Frequency of Quartz-Oszillator

uint32_t xtal_freq_calibrated = 27000000l;

Do you have that in your file? Is it possible that you accidentally removed that line (or commented it out)?

--
Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Jack Purdum

Karl's answer will fix your issues. You must have both INO files in the same directory. If you do not see the primary file names on tabs in the IDE, you do not have them in the same directory.

Jack, W8TEE

Working, tnx .
Now I try to make PCB Board.

73 Matjaz S56ZVD

Sent: Friday, February 15, 2019 5:45 PM

> [...]

declared
> in this scope
>
>  si5351aOutputOff(SI_CLK1_CONTROL);
>
>  ^
>
> exit status 1
> 'xtal_freq_calibrated' was not declared in this scope
>
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 18:05:46 +0530, "Ashhar Farhan"
> wrote:
>> Of all, this should be your first project. It will all the others.- f
>> On Fri 15 Feb, 2019, 5:56 PM gerrykav via Groups.Io
>>
>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1] mailto:yahoo.co.uk@groups.io [3]
>> [2] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/65375 [4]
>> [3]
>>
> mailto:BITX20@groups.io
> [5]?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BBITX20%5D%20Sweeperino%3F
>> [4]
>>
> mailto:farhanbox@...
> [6]?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5BBITX20%5D%20Sweeperino%3F

Rob Bleumer

Hello Ashar,
Just a few questions about Antuino:
I see C14, C16 and C20 are 1000pF in Raduino they are 0.1uF whats right? I got a Raduino as a left-over after I built the  VU2SPF touchscreen option.
I got a few SBL-1, can these be used in place of ADE-1?
Why are R28, R21, R29, R16, R2 51 Ohm and R26 50 Ohm. Shouldn't they all be 50 Ohm?
I built sweererino before. I took scheme of Razzies website. To get rid of dragons. Could these schemes be joined with thespecan software?
How much and what parts of the scheme should be shielded to avoid hand effects? You got some photos of the prototype?
A lot of questions but the answers perhaps are also interesting for other not so experienced builders as I am.
Thanks for the good work.
Rob PA0RBL

Ricardo Suarez

Hello Rob...

you post the questions few minutes before me..... :)

Your post is equal to the mine!

Rick LU9DA

El 20/2/2019 a las 14:53, Rob Bleumer escribió:
Hello Ashar,
Just a few questions about Antuino:
I see C14, C16 and C20 are 1000pF in Raduino they are 0.1uF whats right? I got a Raduino as a left-over after I built the  VU2SPF touchscreen option.
I got a few SBL-1, can these be used in place of ADE-1?
Why are R28, R21, R29, R16, R2 51 Ohm and R26 50 Ohm. Shouldn't they all be 50 Ohm?
I built sweererino before. I took scheme of Razzies website. To get rid of dragons. Could these schemes be joined with thespecan software?
How much and what parts of the scheme should be shielded to avoid hand effects? You got some photos of the prototype?
A lot of questions but the answers perhaps are also interesting for other not so experienced builders as I am.
Thanks for the good work.
Rob PA0RBL

Rob Bleumer

Sorry Ashhar,
Could not change your name in anterior post.
Rob PA0RBL

Ashhar Farhan

Yeah,
There are errors in the schematic. I didnt find 50 ohm resistors locally so I used 51 ohms instead.
I would suggest you wait for a week before starting the build. I am improving the design with additional filtering, more gain and a 128x64 display. PCBs are gone for prototyping.
73, f.