Topics

Complainers?

Andy Record

I just joined the Groups.io list last night, AFTER ordering my µBITX with DHL and want to says "Thumbs Up!" to KB1HKO. I had no idea people were whining about their experiences.

I built a US kitted BitX20 kit 8 years ago and struggled.  I know what I am getting into, they clearly state it on the web page:

HF Signals is a small enterprise based out of Hyderabad, India, that works with a collective of workers. Each of the toroids is hand wound. This provides these working women with a livelihood. The assembled boards are then DC checked.  A final RF check and tune-up is performed to check the receiver’s sensitivity as well as transmitter’s output before being shipped. Each board is individually numbered.

The HF Signals kits are supplied as-is without any promise that they will work to any particular specification.

I acknowledge that am buying a 90% built KIT, and it still comes with all the caveat emptor that I am responsible for making it work!  You look at the odds, put your money down, you roll the dice, and you take your chances with a hand built kit from a women's collective in India.  I know I am happy to support the collective and assume all risk to get it to work.

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 7:32 AM Laurence Oberman <oberman.l@...> wrote:
Complainers, I ask with as much politeness as possible (while I wait
for my Shiny new v5.0 board that works right out of the box if I
assemble it right.)

1. Please put your "faulty" boards up for sale, they will sell yesterday already
2. Stop complaining about paypal and shipping, every board we have
ordered has arrived. Use DHL and shut up.
3. Go spend 800 bucks on a Yaesu or whatever you want, Elecraft KX2 etc
. They will track your order and respond for the extra 700+ dollars.

Ashar Fahran and hfsignals, you are a joy to all of us Hams, the rest
of the complainers are insignificant

Thanks
Laurence
KB1HKO

Curt

Andy

Nice words. Those in the community need time to work everything through. My wisheses that you v5 will meet spurious,  if not the recipes are emerging. Very cool rig, I barely turn on my so called better transceivers.

Curt

Bob Bennett

Andy,
   My feelings exactly. What we learn with the BITX is how much goes into those high end big ticket radios. With our BITX’s we invest sweat equity to bring it up to the level we want.
   For the shipping complainers, I set up a Facebook Group, UBITX Ordered, with the expressed purpose of keeping all the shipping complaints off of the main group. I am happy to report that my group has served its purpose and will soon close.

Bob nz2z

Bill Lamm

I am a new ham but not new to kits and soldering.. building, repurposing modding but as I look at getting a low cost first rig I am thinking uBITx v5 or the soon to be released QRPlabs QTX?  and one reason I like the uBITx is that some one better at toroid winding then me has built that board.. the gamble on uBITx is the same as any other kit but the deck is stacked a little in your favor.. I suspect the QRPlab kit will be designed with more FCC compliance but it still has to pass through my fat finger shaky handed soldering..

Oops.. turned in to a ramble

73 / 72
KD9MDL
Bill

VE3MIC

Bill, I too used to pass on kits that involved winding torroid cores, but after investing in a really inexpensive inductance meter, I can now verify my work by ensuring that the torroid that I just wound is the proper value before continuing on.  Han's QRP Labs kits are, in my opinion, the best that they come these days, and I am looking forward to the QTX when it is released. I also have a BITx40.

Don't let torroid winding discourage you. It's not until you wind them for 160m & below, that the number of turns gets unwieldy. I've lost count of my turns more than once, and had to start over again :)
Also, I've often wondered if there is an online calculator where you could enter the torroid type/size, wire gauge, etc., and it would display the length of wire needed for winding for the desired inductance. It wouldn't be exact, but get you in the "ball park" where you could then verify with an inductance meter before finishing off things.

73 de Mike

Ashhar Farhan

Mike,

such a resource does indeed exist.

- f

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 11:44 PM VE3MIC via Groups.Io <ve3mic=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Excellent!
Thank you Farhan
Best wishes for your continued success with your projects.
de Mike

On Sunday, February 10, 2019, 1:16:27 p.m. EST, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:

[...]

Evan Hand

We have not seen the final results of the QSX (I think that is the unit you mean) from Hans, G0UPL, only the material on the web pages.  You are also going to wait for the multi-band upgrade, as the first kits will be single band.

One point for me is the ability to add the Nextion type of display to the uBitx.  I have ordered the v5 board, am already planning to mod the current KD8CEC code to work with the v5 board, assuming someone else doesn't do it first.  I have 2 v4 boards, one with a Nextion display.   I have gotten spoiled with the features of the KD8CEC software/graphics screen.  Not sure how that is possible with the QSX.

For me, I am fortunate in that I can have both to play with.  It is the building and problem solving that is the fun of the hobby for me, not so much making contacts/QSOs.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Evan Hand

There is a web page that calculates inductance AND wire length needed with 1" leads.  It is here:
https://toroids.info/
or
http://coil32.net/online-calculators/ferrite-torroid-calculator.html

If that is not what you want, then a quick search on google or other search engine should get you what you want.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Donald

I use Mini Ring Core Calculator. It calculates length of wire and maximum wire size in AWG or mm units (your choice), for most Amidon cores, both iron and ferrite. It also lets you enter the number of turns and shows you the inductance and reactance for a given number of turns on a given core at a given frequency, so you can see what happens if you add or remove a turn. It will also calculate air core coils. Also has a resonance calculator for LC values, and can tell you inductance of a straight piece of wire. I use version 1.2, but see there is a newer version, now.

Free, from here:

http://www.dl0hst.de/mini-ringkern-rechner.htm

Very handy for me. -- Donald, KB5PWL

On 2/10/2019 1:46 PM, Evan Hand wrote:
There is a web page that calculates inductance AND wire length needed with 1" leads.  It is here:
https://toroids.info/
or
http://coil32.net/online-calculators/ferrite-torroid-calculator.html

If that is not what you want, then a quick search on google or other search engine should get you what you want.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Brian L. Davis

http://www.kitsandparts.com/index.php
If you look at a specific torroid you will find that you can select the value you want and it will tell you how many turns and the approximate length of wire needed.  Sounds like what you would like to see.

73,
Brian, WA5RDG

M0OOZ

Very useful webpage - I use this all the time. It also gives you the Z @ any particular frequency

73
Geoffrey David Cowne M0OOZ

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 at 22:40, Brian L. Davis <brianldavis@...> wrote:
http://www.kitsandparts.com/index.php
If you look at a specific torroid you will find that you can select the value you want and it will tell you how many turns and the approximate length of wire needed.  Sounds like what you would like to see.

73,
Brian, WA5RDG

Hans Summers

Hi Evan

We have not seen the final results of the QSX (I think that is the unit you mean) from Hans, G0UPL, only the material on the web pages.  You are also going to wait for the multi-band upgrade, as the first kits will be single band.

One point for me is the ability to add the Nextion type of display to the uBitx.  I have ordered the v5 board, am already planning to mod the current KD8CEC code to work with the v5 board, assuming someone else doesn't do it first.  I have 2 v4 boards, one with a Nextion display.   I have gotten spoiled with the features of the KD8CEC software/graphics screen.  Not sure how that is possible with the QSX.

QSX has CAT control and also a rich command interface of its own. It will not be difficult for someone to design an external controller for it with more expensive deluxe display.

73 Hans G0UPL

Evan Hand

Hans,
Thanks for the information!

I do plan on buying a QSX, so will have first hand experiences with the uBitx v4, v5 AND the QSX when available.  Really looking forward to when you have the QSX finished and we are able to order the kit.  I am monitoring the QRPLabs Group.io reflector as well as this one.

Again, waiting anxiously for the QSX.  Seems like it will be a really fun kit.

73
Evan
AC9TU

MVS Sarma

Yes Donald, ver1.3 came up after one designer became SK
I use both.
regards
 sarma
vu3zmv

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019, 1:48 am Donald <donwestpwl@... wrote:

[...]

I am not so much avoiding winding toroids.. just not jumping into a radios worth for my initiation..

Dave New

After being licensed for nearly 50 years, I wound my first toroids when I built my QRPlabs QCX40.  It went flawlessly, and I credit Hans' painstakingly written documentation, all 142 pages of it.

I'm now plunging into the Ultimate U3S 6-band WSPR kit.  There will plenty of toroids to wind, but I fear not...Smile

73,

-- Dave, N8SBE