Topics

antennas vs antennae

K5ESS

It appears my feeble attempt at levity has fallen flat.  My apologies.
Mike
K5ESS

Mike Short

Too many thin skins

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 11:46 PM K5ESS <k5ess.nothdurft@...> wrote:
It appears my feeble attempt at levity has fallen flat.  My apologies.
Mike
K5ESS

Terry Morris

People that are wrong in public don't like being corrected in public. That is how we learned. Our peers corrected us in public. Today being wrong about something is your fault (the reader) not the author who doesn't know the correct word to use intelligently in the sentence or the correct spelling.

Terry - KB8AMZ
Brimfield Twp, OH USA EN91hd
Linux User# 412308, Ubuntu User# 34905, PCARS#78, NAQCC#6668, QRP-ARCI#8855, SKCC#14195

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 12:46 AM K5ESS <k5ess.nothdurft@...> wrote:
It appears my feeble attempt at levity has fallen flat.  My apologies.
Mike
K5ESS

Vince Vielhaber

Well if I refer to more than one antenna as antennas and it bothers you (not directed at you, Terry), you're just gonna have to get over it 'cuze antennae just don't work for me!

Vince - K8ZW.

<mailto:k5ess.nothdurft@...>> wrote:

It appears my feeble attempt at levity has fallen flat. My apologies.
Mike
K5ESS

Timothy Fidler

It did not take off is what you are saying.. Specifically,  your levity did not levitate.

Perhaps that is an old joke. If not, I claim it.  TEF

Timothy Fidler

The crude punishness refers to original post of Mike at the start of the string... something about a joke falling flat.

Ted

Just imagine that anyone had  been bothered by your reference to more than one antenna as antennas, 'cause [sic] it don't [sic] appear in print in the other thread or this one.

Ted
K3RTA

Ted

My apologies at missing a really good pun and it was sad to see that one just fly by without taking a friendly swat at it.

73,

Ted
K3RTA

Ted

That's how "we" learned as well. Then again, back in those times, "public" meant "fact to face" as opposed to being insulated by 1/3 of a continent or more - and when the corrector insisted in being a di€k about it, he risked more than just words in return.

Please try to keep this story in context. The original corrector was being holier-than-thou and had something more than simply poor word choice to prove; the rest of you simply jumped on, before (apparently) using the search function at the top of the page to see how commonplace the word "antennae" is on this board alone.  The mistake being common doesn't make it right but it should add a contextual element that shows it's use as other than the result of poor grammar choices or ignorance.

In any event, I stand corrected.

Mike Short

I was not being a dick. Just pointing out the correct usage. As others have mentioned, this is not the first time antennae has been used as plural.

if someone is offended, I am sorry for you. It was not a personal attack, and if it was taken that way, I can’t do anything about it.

the internet has dumbed down the English language while allowing access to a tremendous amount of information. Prior to the internet publishing books and articles was the only way to share information, and it was edited and proofed before publishing.

As Abraham Lincoln said, “Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”

Terry Morris

Yes Vince, I agree. Thanks for your response.

--
   K8ZW  http://www.metalworkingfun.com   http://www.hamradio.fun

Terry Morris

I have no qualm with Mike said.

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 4:44 AM Timothy Fidler <engstr@...> wrote:
The crude punishness refers to original post of Mike at the start of the string... something about a joke falling flat.

Joe Puma

The dictionary plural description for antenna can be both antennas and antennae. What the heck are we complaining about. For all the things to over complicate. Smh

On Feb 8, 2019, at 1:26 AM, Vince Vielhaber <vev@...> wrote:

[...]

That's where I stand (what's worthy of complaining about vs. the world and other more worthy controversies).

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 8:45, Joe Puma
<kd2nfc@...> wrote:
The dictionary plural description for antenna can be both antennas and antennae. What the heck are we complaining about. For all the things to over complicate. Smh

Ted

Mike, I was referring to the original challenger who first had to use a condescending tone on mistakes in mobile radio use that were/are not yet in evidence, and who THEN felt it necessary to augment his self-importance with a grammar lesson that affects the material discussion not a bit.

If you feel you were compared with being a dick, then - as you say - I can't help how one takes things. Just know I was referring to another person, for what it's worth. Not "you" personally.

I am truly sorry for offending this forum with my mistake.

Ted
K3RTA

mrz80

heh...

Antennas are multiple fiddly bits of aluminum and wire that people put up to talk on the radio
Antannae are the sensory organs on insects.

:D

Bruce H. McIntosh @mrz80 www.afn.org/~scotsman WA4UF
Network geek with a strong affinity for Telecasters

Jerry Gaffke

You guys are all way off, the plural is spelled "aerials".

Language naturally evolves with time and space.
Some of you are going to be awfully frustrated if you ever travel even a little bit
Or manage to get old.

Jerry

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 07:57 AM, mrz80 wrote:
Antennas are multiple fiddly bits of aluminum and wire that people put up to talk on the radio
Antannae are the sensory organs on insects.

Doug W

Since it appears some of us like to fight over grammar, I submit the following.  If 73 means best regards than 73's must mean best regards's.  Feel free to discuss.
--
www.bitxmap.com

Diane Bruce

I was hoping this thread would just die off, but no....

On Fri, Feb 08, 2019 at 08:45:52AM -0500, Joe Puma wrote:
The dictionary plural description for antenna can be both antennas and antennae. What the heck are we complaining about. For all the things to over complicate. Smh
Oh ffs ;) language changes get over it. My favourite is the word
'fantastic'.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/fantastic#etymonline_v_1121

No one nowadays would say something that is fantastic exists only
in one's imagination. ;)

I've *corrected* the wording on a brochure we were writing for a
hamradio organisation here in Canada from 'antennae' to 'antennas' but
the standards for formal written are more conservative and stringent
than emails, speech etc. This was a few years ago and now I wouldn't bother.

FWIW we've lost the battle. We are 'loosing' our spelling with all
the 'websights' we have now. ;)

Most modern dictionaries are descriptive rather than precriptive.
Fine. Antennae it is, despite me thinking of insects. ;)

P.S. When one blames the Internet look up the term 'Recency illusion'.
And language changes have been happening since Beowulf. Hwaet!

Diane
--
- db@... db@... http://artemis.db.net/~db

Vince Vielhaber

Yeah, it ain't like anyone's talking about their arial! Yep, I went there.

Vince.