Responsibility! A fully test and tuned µBITX HF transceiver board (6″ by 5-1/2″).??? #bitx20 #legal

M0OOZ

Legally What’s Included?

At the time I bought my uBITX up to and including today, this is what is stated on the HF SIGNALS web-page

  1. A fully test and tuned µBITX HF transceiver board (6″ by 5-1/2″).

Additionally, HF SIGNALS provide a compelling reason to buy this board insofar as the ethics of its manufacture seem to be excellent!

The µBITX boards are hand-assembled by a collective of women. Each of the toroids is hand wound. This provides these women with livelihood. The assembled boards are then DC checked and a final RF check is performed to check the receiver’s sensitivity as well as transmitter’s output before being shipped. Each board is individually numbered.

OK, so if the board is supplied as fully tested, then why are there so many boards that do not work?

This company sells a flat packed finished and tested board which it claims cannot be returned when you discover it does not work! I love the BITX idea. However, the denial of responsibility for supply of goods fit for purpose is unacceptable and is against PayPal policy. There are literally hundreds of boards delivered that do not work!

Responsibility!

I say this since it is my belief that the supplier should and must take responsibility for the trouble caused by supply of inadequate boards.

On the same subject of responsibility, I say that a business that uses PayPal or almost any bank will discover their responsibilities toward serving upon obligations. It is unacceptable to supply a board which is sold as built and tested and subsequently deny all responsibility for failure.

This is especially true when looking at the numbers of faults on boards delivered.

Pactus sunt servandum!

International contract law!

This means agreements must be served or honored. When, like me, you discover that there is a difficult to diagnose problem, on a board that has more than one fault, the 'tested and built' board that you trusted in, should be replaced by law!

I have tried to contact HF SIGNALS

I have sent two emails to HF SIGNALS on the subject of the problem seen on my board and apparently on many other boards. There has been no reply!

73

M0OOZ

Laurence Oberman <oberman.l@...>

What version of board is that and how far did you get with attempting
to make it work.
I may buy it from you and repair it.
Quite honestly I appreciate everything hfsignals has done and the way
this is going does not make me happy.
They deserve better because I am sure what has happened to you was NOT
because every attempt was not made by them to give you a proper
working board.

If it makes you happy I will take it off your hands, I will pay the
price you paid.

Regards
Laurence

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 11:35 AM M0OOZ <geoffcowne@...> wrote:

[...]

iz oos

M0OOZ, ask why so many hams do not ask money back, notwithstanding the issues that were discovered later. Even if you may be right in principle, I think HFSignals put a lot of efforts to provide a good and ameliorable board. I have no regrets to have bought it. Would I then throw away the Big Three rigs? Of course not, I don't have any of them...!

Il 05/feb/2019 17:44, "Laurence Oberman" <oberman.l@...> ha scritto:
> [...]

> This is especially true when looking at the numbers of faults on boards delivered.
>

> Pactus sunt servandum!
>
> International contract law!
>
> This means agreements must be served or honored. When, like me, you discover that there is a difficult to diagnose problem, on a board that has more than one fault, the 'tested and built' board that you trusted in, should be replaced by law!
>
> I have tried to contact HF SIGNALS
>
> I have sent two emails to HF SIGNALS on the subject of the problem seen on my board and apparently on many other boards. There has been no reply!

Jerry Gaffke

>  On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 08:35 AM, M0OOZ wrote:
>:  Legally What’s Included?

Wow, no need to shout!
I take that as a clue.

As you might have guessed, most of us are hobbyists, not lawyers.
And we enjoy getting stuff to work way more than instigating legal battles.

I'm happy enough with hfsingals, nothing like this currently available at double the price.
And unhappy with anybody pressing hfsignals to do stuff that would double the price.
Shipping round trip to India for a minor flaw seems ludicrous.

Though I do encourage hfsignals to at least switch to Axicom relays, or similar.
That's a tough fix for those lacking the tools or experience to swap them out.
Maybe throw $0.50 worth of shielded coils in with each kit to swap out L5, L7.
And take m0ooz's free legal advice about posting disclaimers
for those who might otherwise think they are buying a Yaesu.

If it's still in demonstrably good shape, it's likely easy enough to sell a uBitx
at a local ham club.  Or get advice on improving it.

Jerry, KE7ER

Guy Skeer

Pretty clear language in posted material that no warranty is included, at this fantastic price.  Better features than the new $1000 QRP radio I saw reviewed! I had difficulty, entirely my own generation, that damaged my board...bought another! Still under $350, including case!

Annd I am learning while staying out of Whorehouses and Bars! Bonus!

M0OOZ

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 09:57 AM, Jerry Gaffke wrote:
Yaesu

I cannot afford to buy a Yaesu, and I love the idea of uBITX. However, I still stand by what I have written regarding 'Responsibility'!

At the risk of repeating myself I will repeat, it says 'built & tested'!

So then, while it seems that many here feel that:

  • I am a non-believer

  • that I should be banned,

  • outcast, shunned and treated as rubbish

    ... for having expressed a basic point of view, I still say that despite having worked to diagnose the faults on my board, I like many others am left with a uBITX that does not work!

I do not believe that this is trolling! I do believe that I have made a reasonable point here and that the reactions including the idea of removing me from this forum because I dare to say something uncomfortable are nothing less than repugnant.

Is this a forum? I thought it was a forum. Interestingly the word FORUM .... comes from the Latin forum which means "marketplace"

Michael Maiorana

Geoff,
I didn't find your callsign listed on QRZ. I find that strange.  Is that your real callsign?

I would like to offer you my assistance to get your radio working. I don't know the history, so please feel free to respond directly to me with the details.
Also, you are welcome to ship it to me and I'll fix it for you and return it to you in working order.
Good luck and 73
Mike M.
KU4QO

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 1:47 PM M0OOZ <geoffcowne@...> wrote:
[...]

_

Laurence Oberman <oberman.l@...>

How you should have started this is :

"
Hello Folks. I was fortunate to receive my Ubitx but I am having
issues getting it to work.
Here is the work I have done to try get it working, please would
somebody have a look at it.
Detailed information about what is not working.
I am including measured signals and voltages at specific test points,
where else can I measure for you folks to assist me.
"
Had you done that, you would have got a much better response. We are
all very protective of hfsignals and Ashar Fahran for good reason and
we all understand what we get for what we pay.

Laurence Oberman
KB1HKO

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 2:04 PM Michael Maiorana <zfreak@...> wrote:

[...]

I do accept that the most important aspect of the issue has been a failure of the board.

I don't believe that you should say how I must approach what I consider to be a misrepresentation of invitation to sale.

There is the technical issue and there is the contractual issue and this is my point.

It says built and tested!

73s

Fine business

Geoff M0OOZ

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019, 20:17 Laurence Oberman <oberman.l@... wrote:
How you should have started this is :

"
Hello Folks. I was fortunate to receive my Ubitx but I am having
issues getting it to work.
Here is the work I have done to try get it working, please would
somebody have a look at it.
Detailed information about what is not working.
I am including measured signals and voltages at specific test points,
where else can I measure for you folks to assist me.
"
Had you done that,  you would have got a much better response. We are
all very protective of hfsignals and Ashar Fahran for good reason and
we all understand what we get for what we pay.

Laurence Oberman
KB1HKO

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 2:04 PM Michael Maiorana <zfreak@...> wrote:

> Geoff,
> I didn't find your callsign listed on QRZ. I find that strange.  Is that your real callsign?
>
> I would like to offer you my assistance to get your radio working. I don't know the history, so please feel free to respond directly to me with the details.
> Also, you are welcome to ship it to me and I'll fix it for you and return it to you in working order.
> Good luck and 73
> Mike M.
> KU4QO
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 1:47 PM M0OOZ <geoffcowne@...> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 09:57 AM, Jerry Gaffke wrote:
>>
>> Yaesu
>>
>> I cannot afford to buy a Yaesu, and I love the idea of uBITX. However, I still stand by what I have written regarding 'Responsibility'!
>>
>> At the risk of repeating myself I will repeat, it says 'built & tested'!
>>
>> So then, while it seems that many here feel that:
>>
>> I am a non-believer
>>
>> that I should be banned,
>>
>> outcast, shunned and treated as rubbish
>>
>> ... for having expressed a basic point of view, I still say that despite having worked to diagnose the faults on my board, I like many others am left with a uBITX that does not work!
>>
>> I do not believe that this is trolling! I do believe that I have made a reasonable point here and that the reactions including the idea of removing me from this forum because I dare to say something uncomfortable are nothing less than repugnant.
>>
>> Is this a forum? I thought it was a forum. Interestingly the word FORUM .... comes from the Latin forum which means "marketplace"
>>
>> _

Peter Russell <peter.russell@...>

Enough is enough.
Please go away and let the rest of us enjoy our hobby.

Peter G8FWY

On 05/02/2019 18:47, M0OOZ wrote:
On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 09:57 AM, Jerry Gaffke wrote:
Yaesu
*I cannot afford to buy a Yaesu, and I love the idea of uBITX.*However, I still stand by what I have written regarding *'Responsibility'! *
*At the risk of repeating myself I will repeat, it says 'built & tested'!*
So then, while it seems that many here feel that:
*
I am a non-believer
*
that I should be banned,
*
outcast, shunned and treated as rubbish
... for having expressed a basic point of view, I still say that
despite having worked to diagnose the faults on my board, I like
many others am left with a uBITX that does not work!
*I do not believe that this is trolling!*I do believe that I have made a reasonable point here and that the reactions including the idea of removing me from this forum because I dare to say something uncomfortable are nothing less than repugnant.
Is this a forum? I thought it was a forum. Interestingly the word FORUM .... comes from the *Latin*/forum which means "marketplace"/
---
https://www.avg.com

Vince Vielhaber

On 02/05/2019 02:04 PM, Michael Maiorana wrote:
Geoff,
I didn't find your callsign listed on QRZ. I find that strange. Is that
your real callsign?
QRZ is updating their servers. I've only had a few successful DX lookups in the last couple of days. That said, many seem to be working so I also question the validity of his call.

Vince.
--
K8ZW http://www.metalworkingfun.com http://www.hamradio.fun

Vince Vielhaber

Yes, it says built and tested. It says nothing about what happens when you attempt to assemble it into a case or even wire it up. At least one person offered to help you get it going, why not take them up on it?

Vince.

<mailto:geoffcowne@...>> wrote:

>> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 09:57 AM, Jerry Gaffke wrote:
>>
>> Yaesu
>>
>> I cannot afford to buy a Yaesu, and I love the idea of uBITX.
However, I still stand by what I have written regarding
'Responsibility'!

>> At the risk of repeating myself I will repeat, it says 'built &
tested'!

>> So then, while it seems that many here feel that:
>>
>> I am a non-believer
>>
>> that I should be banned,
>>
>> outcast, shunned and treated as rubbish
>>
>> ... for having expressed a basic point of view, I still say that
despite having worked to diagnose the faults on my board, I like
many others am left with a uBITX that does not work!

>> I do not believe that this is trolling! I do believe that I have
made a reasonable point here and that the reactions including the
idea of removing me from this forum because I dare to say something
uncomfortable are nothing less than repugnant.

>> Is this a forum? I thought it was a forum. Interestingly the word
FORUM .... comes from the Latin forum which means "marketplace"

>> _

MadRadioModder

There is no detail of what "tested" means.

--
K8ZW http://www.metalworkingfun.com http://www.hamradio.fun

---
https://www.avg.com

--
…_. _._

Curt

I will only question the statement on hundreds of boards delivered in a non-working condition.  I thoroughly doubt this without evidence.

In contrast, there are thousands of satisfied users.

We may concur that the unit has issues with spurious -- and the community is completely addressing them.  In most nations amateurs can purchase components and refine them for appropriate compliant use.

Curt

Brian L. Davis

To repeat myself in this thread:

Brand new items of all kinds have been known to fail at first power up by the purchaser!
That doesn't mean they didn't work at the factory when initially tested!
There have been instances of damage in transit from around the globe en route to the end user!
The manufacturer has no control over that type of problem or the actual life expectancy of individual components not of their manufacture!
Best advise, lighten up!
WA5RDG

I wasn't going to post but at this point I feel I should.

Well looks like you have had some trials with your new rig. It seems many have offered help as this group is great for that.

My 2 cents, take the help offered and try to stay calm. This is a hobby and is meant to be fun!

 That aside no need to be so angry, paying for a radio and not getting a working rig can be frustrating for sure. If you post what the issues are people may be able to help you. Venting unabashed rage will not get you what you are looking for.

 I run a site that sells kits and other items. If I were to get an e-mail with foaming at the mouth rage I'm not sure I would reply either other than to offer a refund and return shipping. That is a easy option for me as shipping isn't going to cost me $$$ where as return to hfsignals would be pretty costly and increase initial cost of the rig for everyone.

On HFsignals: They have done a great job and offer a radio to those who cant afford a "big rig". The radios have had some trip ups over its timeline but for what it is and what it cost is well worth it. If you knew that the rig had issues you were not willing to overcome why did you buy it?

Any how I have bought 2 rigs from HFsignals and loved them so much I just bought another bitx40 to replace the one I shouldn't have sold. As with others that have offered help feel free to email me the issues you are having with the rig and I will try my best to help you.
--
David

 N8DAH
Kit-Projects.com

Shop is open!

G1WDF

Built and tested.... Yes, but it's a kit, down to you.

Amateur licence.... A licence to test, build, or modify.

I bought a Bitx40, built it, tested it, and will be modifying it.

I bought a uBitx, i will not have the time to build or modify, so I sold it on to someone who has.

At the end of the day it is a HOBBY. There are far worse things to worry about.

Third world debt, starvation and conflict spring to mind.

Cheers.

M0OOZ

At least you have not used horrible language and you offer to help.

I still stand by what I have said.

Tomorrow I shall compile a document with pictures showing what I have done to find the problem which is that on the 40 meter band the signal looks like a horror story, a rollercoaster ride and has an output into a dummy load of less than a Watt!

On 20 meters, I have a healthy 8 watts and the signal looks like a respectable sign wave.

I do not believe my post is unwarranted, given that there is no response from RF signals. Where else can I point out that the invitation to sale says 'built &tested board' etc

I love the idea of uBITX I just wish that Farhan would at least answer his emails. Hans Summers has sold way more kits and he answers emails!

I also wish that I had never bought this board. Instead I should have built it from scratch using my messy style which I have used for 30 years+

May the peace be with you.

73

Geoff M0OOZ

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019, 21:30 N8DAH <Dherron@... wrote:

[...]

Why don’t you just sell it and move on???

MRM

[...]

Why should I sell it? Did I say I didn't want it to work? No!

Moving on would be to have a working uBITX