Topics

display not working

daytrippin1336@...

Hey guys. Im Dan. I recently purchased and built the ubitx v4.3 .  it worked great for a few days and then the stock 16x2 display quit working.  I’ve got black across the top and it’s blank on the bottom row. Its lit up and the red led is lit on the back of the board. Any ideas. Thanks for your help. Your new member Dan

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Doug W

Dan,
It could be several things but start with the easiest first.  There is a trimmer pot on the Radiuno that controls the contrast on the lcd.  Try adjusting that and see if anything happens.
--
www.bitxmap.com

Dan Jones <daytrippin1336@...>

Thank you for your response. All im getting is black blocks on the top line and an error code saying out of alignment when I use the Arduino app

Sent: Monday, January 28, 2019 4:55 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] display not working

Dan,
It could be several things but start with the easiest first.  There is a trimmer pot on the Radiuno that controls the contrast on the lcd.  Try adjusting that and see if anything happens.
--
www.bitxmap.com

MVS Sarma

Dan, So far so Good.  while the RIG is off  press and hold the rotary switch , while that time position, switch on the rig.
The rig should go to refresh its firmware.
 Let us see what happens.
all the best
sarma
 vu3zmv

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 4:02 AM Dan Jones <daytrippin1336@...> wrote:

Thank you for your response. All im getting is black blocks on the top line and an error code saying out of alignment when I use the Arduino app

Dan,
--
www.bitxmap.com

Thanks for the suggestion but….no go. its lit up but all im getting is black blocks on top and green on bottom. It was working great, then one day it just quit. Im not getting any sound or anything. But onceagain, thank you

Sent: Monday, January 28, 2019 10:17 PM

Dan, So far so Good.  while the RIG is off  press and hold the rotary switch , while that time position, switch on the rig.

Let us see what happens.

all the best

sarma

vu3zmv

Dan,
--
www.bitxmap.com

Skip Davis

Dan try removing the Raduino from the UBitx and powering it via the USB connector. If it boots up fine, then you could be having low supply voltage to your UBitx or just the Raduino via the main board connector for the Raduino.

Skip Davis, NC9O 

On Jan 28, 2019, at 22:26, Dan Jones <daytrippin1336@...> wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion but….no go. its lit up but all im getting is black blocks on top and green on bottom. It was working great, then one day it just quit. Im not getting any sound or anything. But onceagain, thank you

Let us see what happens.

all the best

sarma

vu3zmv

Dan,
--
www.bitxmap.com

<D96B330614A94D05A4B323320614A9E9.png>
<637F520BA9A64B46A7A64CA2963256BB.png>

Removed the aduino from the main board and used the usb. It lit up as usual. Ive got a lit red led on the back and a red blinking led beside it. Still got the black blocks across the top row of the display

Sent: Monday, January 28, 2019 11:30 PM

Dan try removing the Raduino from the UBitx and powering it via the USB connector. If it boots up fine, then you could be having low supply voltage to your UBitx or just the Raduino via the main board connector for the Raduino.

Skip Davis, NC9O 

On Jan 28, 2019, at 22:26, Dan Jones <daytrippin1336@...> wrote:

Let us see what happens.

all the best

sarma

vu3zmv

Dan,
--
www.bitxmap.com

<D96B330614A94D05A4B323320614A9E9.png>

<637F520BA9A64B46A7A64CA2963256BB.png>

Christopher Miller

also, be aware you need nanos without the pins soldered in. the way its mounted you have to put the pins reverse to normal. 

Chris 

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019, 8:27 PM Dan Jones <daytrippin1336@... wrote:

Let us see what happens.

all the best

sarma

vu3zmv

Dan,
--
www.bitxmap.com

I had similar problems, I changed the display!

At 29-01-19, you wrote:
Hey guys. Im Dan. I recently purchased and built the ubitx v4.3 . it worked great for a few days and then the stock 16x2 display quit working. I’ve got black across the top and it’s blank on the bottom row. Its lit up and the red led is lit on the back of the board. Any ideas. Thanks for your help. Your new member Dan

Iv e ordered a new display but ive lost sound also

Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 12:03 AM

At 29-01-19, you wrote:

>Hey guys. Im Dan. I recently purchased and built the ubitx v4.3 .  it worked great for a few days and then the stock 16x2 display quit working.  I’ve got black across the top and it’s blank on the bottom row. Its lit up and the red led is lit on the back of the board. Any ideas. Thanks for your help. Your new member Dan

Its telling me cant connect to board because its out of sync

At 29-01-19, you wrote:

>Hey guys. Im Dan. I recently purchased and built the ubitx v4.3 .  it worked great for a few days and then the stock 16x2 display quit working.  I’ve got black across the top and it’s blank on the bottom row. Its lit up and the red led is lit on the back of the board. Any ideas. Thanks for your help. Your new member Dan

Christopher Miller

I really think the nano has died. They are cheap anyway. Put an aftermarket firmware on it and swap the display if you get it first. Since you have no audio, Im betting the nano is dead. I could be wrong though.

Im thinking the same thing. Thanks for the  help

Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 12:11 AM

I really think the nano has died. They are cheap anyway. Put an aftermarket firmware on it and swap the display if you get it first. Since you have no audio, Im betting the nano is dead. I could be wrong though.

I suspect the nano soldering for no audio.

At 29-01-19, you wrote:

At 29-01-19, you wrote:

It may be but it all happened at the same time. I know anything can happen but ive been soldering for a lot of years

Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 12:25 AM

At 29-01-19, you wrote:

At 29-01-19, you wrote:

Christopher Miller

The nano would fit because the display is dead and the dds is not working. They also picked up an LCD. I fully believe that one of the two are bad. I'm excited to find out which. I started doing tech support today on garage door openers today so I am practicing my skills.

Chris

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019, 10:25 PM Raj vu2zap <rajendrakumargg@... wrote:

At 29-01-19, you wrote:

At 29-01-19, you wrote:

Ive ordered the display and im looking at arduinos as we speak. Ill be more than happy to keep you posted on everything. Good luck with the new job and thanks for all your help. If you hear of, or come up with anything else id appreciate any and all information I can get. All my electronic experience is with guitars and effects pedals and processors so….

Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 12:34 AM

The nano would fit because the display is dead and the dds is not working. They also picked up an LCD. I fully believe that one of the two are bad. I'm excited to find out which. I started doing tech support today on garage door openers today so I am practicing my skills.

Chris

At 29-01-19, you wrote:

At 29-01-19, you wrote:

Skip Davis

Dan try and reload the firmware like someone else suggested, maybe it got corrupted and isn’t booting up properly. And order another Arduino for replacement. If it isn’t booting up properly it won’t control the Si5351 and that means no oscillators or RX audio output. You will only hear the amplifier noise with volume at max.

Skip Davis, NC9O 

On Jan 29, 2019, at 00:42, Dan Jones <daytrippin1336@...> wrote:

Ive ordered the display and im looking at arduinos as we speak. Ill be more than happy to keep you posted on everything. Good luck with the new job and thanks for all your help. If you hear of, or come up with anything else id appreciate any and all information I can get. All my electronic experience is with guitars and effects pedals and processors so….

Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 12:34 AM

Chris

At 29-01-19, you wrote:

At 29-01-19, you wrote:

<9F953442E2834C859DC9F4F6D7B0D646.png>
<59A8CDC1A60E42DE9A9A16A8AF8F5EB2.png>

Jerry Gaffke

Lots of Arduinos out there
What you want is a Nano clone that does not have the header pins soldered in, like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/ELEGOO-Arduino-ATmega328P-Without-Compatible/dp/B0713XK923

To fit into the Raduino socket, the header pins get soldered in on the "wrong" side.
There are better prices out on ebay, down to about $2 each.
Don't be afraid to get two or three, the Nano is a very fun toy.

Jerry

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 06:47 AM, Skip Davis wrote:

Dan try and reload the firmware like someone else suggested, maybe it got corrupted and isn’t booting up properly. And order another Arduino for replacement. If it isn’t booting up properly it won’t control the Si5351 and that means no oscillators or RX audio output. You will only hear the amplifier noise with volume at max.

_Dave_ K0MBT

I would ask my self. Did you do anything to the radio between the time it was working and the time it quit? No then you you probably have a loose connector. Sometime just moving the radio or pressing on the case can make a weak connection go wonko.

If you worked on the radio then undo what you did. There would be no reason why the display and arduino went bad. Did you install a new version of the firmware? It sounds like you have two problems now rather than one.