Topics

JackAl Voltage Chart

Jack, W8TEE

All:

The voltage chart for the JackAl board is now posted on hamradiodesigns.com. The program source code will be available for download on Monday.

Jack, W8TEE
Al, AC8GY

Jim Sheldon

Has anyone been able to download the JackAl software from hamradiodesigns.com yet?  I thought it was supposed to be available today but the download on the website is still password protected.  Tried clearing the browser cache in case that was the problem but so far no luck.

W0EB

Konrad Kristensen <konrad.kristensen@...>

Yes, but it was not straight forward.

KA1LD/Konrad

On Jan 14, 2019, at 10:10 PM, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

Has anyone been able to download the JackAl software from hamradiodesigns.com yet?  I thought it was supposed to be available today but the download on the website is still password protected.  Tried clearing the browser cache in case that was the problem but so far no luck.

W0EB

Jack, W8TEE

All:

It is true, I wanted to release the software today, which was in line with QRP Guys distribution of the boards. Jim has written to me several times about the software not being distributed yet, and I did tell him I would release it today. Alas, there are still two parts that I'm not happy with so I did not release it today. Jim evidently thinks that bringing this to your attention will make me look bad and make his competing product (his board is for the Nextion display) look better, and perhaps it does. All I can say is that Al has done a fantastic job with the hardware and I'm working hard to match his craftsmanship, but on the software side.

There are several people who do have the software right now. They are our Beta testers, and Konrad is one of them. He has been especially helpful because he lives here in the city. For all of you who have already purchased the JackAl system, I will be releasing the software as soon as I can. When it is ready for prime time, I will post a notice here. In the meantime, bear with me for a few more days.

Jack, W8TEE

On Monday, January 14, 2019, 10:20:00 PM EST, Konrad Kristensen <konrad.kristensen@...> wrote:

Yes, but it was not straight forward.

KA1LD/Konrad

On Jan 14, 2019, at 10:10 PM, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

Has anyone been able to download the JackAl software from hamradiodesigns.com yet?  I thought it was supposed to be available today but the download on the website is still password protected.  Tried clearing the browser cache in case that was the problem but so far no luck.

W0EB

Christopher Miller

Why not remove them, release the source and then release a new version /after/ you fix the bugs?

If I recall correctly this person also attacked people from posting off topic on their thread promoting their product. Its a little disappointing in my humble opinion.

KF4FTR

Jack, W8TEE

Mornin' Christopher:

I hate releasing software with a known bug in it, even when it is one that doesn't really impact the functionality of the product. The bug is in the EEPROM that saves the setup information. An easy fix is to simply hard-code the values, but that requires programming which scares a lot of people. I know it's going to be a flat-forehead mistake on my part, so I'm fairly sure I'll get it fixed soon or have a viable work-around within a day or two.

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 1:06:17 AM EST, Christopher Miller <djmalak2k6@...> wrote:

Why not remove them, release the source and then release a new version /after/ you fix the bugs?

If I recall correctly this person also attacked people from posting off topic on their thread promoting their product. Its a little disappointing in my humble opinion.

KF4FTR

bill wright

what ever happened to zero defects?.. Known bugs released will
continue to screw things up because someone will NOT get the word.
Bill kd5yyk

[...]

Jerry Gaffke

If you want something that claims to have zero defects, I suggest paying more than $50 for it.
Check out the offerings from Lockheed Martin or Loral.

Jerry

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 10:16 AM, bill wright wrote:
what ever happened to zero defects?.. Known bugs released will
continue to screw things up because someone will NOT get the word.
Bill kd5yyk

Jack, W8TEE

That's not what he's saying. What he's suggesting is remove the features that aren't working correctly and release it that way, fix the bugs, and then put the fixed code back in. Well, as it turns out, Al found what the issue was and I'm working on the fixes. Hopefully they won't take too long and this one fix will fix both bugs.

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 1:16:57 PM EST, bill wright via Groups.Io <chief6226@...> wrote:

[...]

Jerry:

Exactly. Also, JackAl is an Open Source, experimenters platform, not just a product. It's meant to be dinked around with and we hope that's what buyers intend to do. There are still about a dozen free pins, 780K of flash, and 225K of SRAM left unused in JackAl, so there are plenty of idle resources. Hopefully, people with share their discoveries.

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 1:21:05 PM EST, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:

If you want something that claims to have zero defects, I suggest paying more than $50 for it.
Check out the offerings from Lockheed Martin or Loral.

Jerry

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 10:16 AM, bill wright wrote:
what ever happened to zero defects?.. Known bugs released will
continue to screw things up because someone will NOT get the word.
Bill kd5yyk

bill wright

Don't know why a commons sense comment turns snarky.  If you are putting out crap
even if it is an experimenter source code, save the bugs until they are fixed.
As stated before, someone will NOT get the word.
Bill kd5yyk

[...]

Another possible strategy:  Sit on your hands till the Alpha 0.002 release of JackAl rolls out.
Jerry

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 10:27 AM, Jack Purdum wrote:
Exactly.

Jack, W8TEE

Where do I say that I'm going to release it before I fix the bugs?

Jcak, W8TEE

On Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 1:35:20 PM EST, bill wright via Groups.Io <chief6226@...> wrote:

[...]

K5ESS

Zero Defects.   Ah yes.  Harkens back to the 60’s when McDonnell Douglas had a “Zero Defects” program.  They had big all hands meetings where execs exhorted all to have zero defects in their work and passed out Zero Defects coins to everyone.  It was a short lived program when it was realized that this was not the way to achieve high quality.  Ultimately they discovered Juran and Deming and launched into another quality improvement program.

Mike

K5ESS

[...]

Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>

Mr. Wright. please go away

On Jan 15, 2019, at 13:35, bill wright via Groups.Io <chief6226@...> wrote:

[...]

And a third:
  Design and build your own gear.
  Then it's certain to be zero-defect.

To be honest, I was wondering for a moment if I was
taking a snarkily comic remark too seriously.

Jerry