Topics

Encoder knob (with a nod to knobs in general) #parts #3d_printing #ubitx

David Negaard

While waiting for time to finish building my uBITX (and a suitable antennal—gotta love condo living!), I've been working on proliferation peripheral projects to make my rig my own. I'm an avid CAD hobbyist using Fusion 360, and have access to a 3D printer and CNC routers, among other cool tools, through my work; I teach a STEM class, along with English, at a local high school.

My first prototype of my first design, a knob for the encoder, just came off the printer this morning. It needs a little cleaning, but overall I'm really happy with it. I'll use the same basic design cuts for the volume knob, and for various other projects that may cross my bench.

de WH6FZA

Martin KM6TCD

I'm working on a copper plated, Slinky hoop antenna.  Yhe copper plating makes it a better radiator and the hoop is only 5 feet in diameter. Just what the doctor ordered for places with all those crazy rules and regulations. I'll post more when I've finished it.

KM6TCD

Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 11:23 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: [BITX20] Encoder knob (with a nod to knobs in general) #ubitx #3d_printing #parts
While waiting for time to finish building my uBITX (and a suitable antennal—gotta love condo living!),

Lee

Very nice.   I wish I new something about Fusion 360.   I've been thinking of getting a Prusa 3D printer with my income tax return.
--
Lee - N9LO  "I Void Warranties"

David Negaard

Lee, I'm largely self-taught...I've been learning it as I teach intermediate and high school students how to use the tools available in this amazing age.

Just this week I learned enough to model and design an enclosure for my uBITX that can be cut and folded out of a single sheet of aluminum, even though I am unwilling to keep it simple. I'll cut it on a CNC router, fold it, and rivet or weld it.

--
David Negaard
C: (808) 214-8919
“Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.” –Heraclitus

On Dec 20, 2018, at 2:56 PM, Lee <mr.olson@...> wrote:

Very nice.   I wish I new something about Fusion 360.   I've been thinking of getting a Prusa 3D printer with my income tax return.
--

Tony Frey

Nice, are you going to post your file anywhere?

Acta non Verba

From: bitx20@groups.io on behalf of David Negaard <draagen@...>
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2018 8:31 PM
To: bitx20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Encoder knob (with a nod to knobs in general) #ubitx #3d_printing #parts

Lee, I'm largely self-taught...I've been learning it as I teach intermediate and high school students how to use the tools available in this amazing age.

Just this week I learned enough to model and design an enclosure for my uBITX that can be cut and folded out of a single sheet of aluminum, even though I am unwilling to keep it simple. I'll cut it on a CNC router, fold it, and rivet or weld it.

--
David Negaard
“Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.” –Heraclitus

--

David Negaard

Hadn't really thought about it, but can. Wondering what file format would be most suitable, not to mention where...

.STEP files can be opened in many CAD programs, but might lose the sheet metal features available in Fusion 360. Could also include a .DFX for the flat pattern. Files for knobs and such (things to 3D print) can be .STL files, which is a standard for slicing programs.

--
David Negaard

On Dec 20, 2018, at 5:10 PM, Tony Frey <Tfrey326@...> wrote:

Nice, are you going to post your file anywhere?

Acta non Verba

From: bitx20@groups.io on behalf of David Negaard <draagen@...>
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2018 8:31 PM
To: bitx20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Encoder knob (with a nod to knobs in general) #ubitx #3d_printing #parts

--
David Negaard

--

Snowist

@David, you can post your design in https://www.thingiverse.com There are some uBitx posting there already.
You can just add STL file or also include design files as well.