Topics

CAT control #ubitx #arduino

Kevin Timm

On a windows 10 machine using a v3 ubitx.

I'm trying to use CAT control for my ubitx with wsjt-x.  I select FT-817 as rig type, set baud to 38400 and COM3 (after loading CH340 driver).  I see:
tx > rx on the LCD and then some 'random' hexadecimal characters, something like the following:
80:ff80ff080
40:ff0040fff
etc.

wsjt-x fails in connecting to the ubitx though I can see some comm's are taking place.
I downloaded xloader and reloaded the firmware, that seems to work just fine (I also note that xloader uses 57600 and not 38400, I've tried 57600 on wsjt-x, no success there either)

Do I have to download newer firmware or should I be loading the K8CEC 1.097 (1.1)?

Kevin
K5KDT

John

I recently obtained a new  W10 laptop and didn't install any drivers, maybe they were installed when I installed Arduino IDE. Have no problem whatsoever to connect to my uBitX v3.

Attached device manager and wsjt-x

John, K5GT

John

Also with the 817 it works
Capture_wsjtx-817.PNG

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 4:30 PM John <jjczon@...> wrote:

I recently obtained a new  W10 laptop and didn't install any drivers, maybe they were installed when I installed Arduino IDE. Have no problem whatsoever to connect to my uBitX v3.

Attached device manager and wsjt-x

John, K5GT

John

I had it running on 1.097 and it was working with my old laptop just fine, recently loaded V1.1 and also no problem.
As the loads are the same and only differs in naming you should be fine.

John

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 4:33 PM John Zonneveld <jjczon@...> wrote:
Also with the 817 it works
Capture_wsjtx-817.PNG

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 4:30 PM John <jjczon@...> wrote:

I recently obtained a new  W10 laptop and didn't install any drivers, maybe they were installed when I installed Arduino IDE. Have no problem whatsoever to connect to my uBitX v3.

Attached device manager and wsjt-x

John, K5GT

_Dave_ K0MBT

When I tried loading the 1.1 (1.097) version of firmware I had random characters appear on the screen I was told that I picked the wrong display but moved back to the v1.08 It also works with the ubitx 4.3 on my v3 ubitx. The ubitx 4.3 is trickier to get into a single ino file.

I doubt if usb port 3 is the acutal port where your ubitx is located. If you disconnect the cable does the port go away.

I have a win 10 computer that sometimes I have to turn off and back on to recognize stale port.

Kevin Timm

Thanks guys, I'll try again (and with a different mini USB cable also).  Pretty sure it's not the cable as I was able to reload the stock firmware.  Will spend some time with the memory manager of other add ons.

K5KDT
Kevin

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 8:25 AM <davesters@...> wrote:
When I tried loading the 1.1 (1.097) version of firmware I had random characters appear on the screen I was told that I picked the wrong display but moved back to the v1.08 It also works with the ubitx 4.3 on my v3 ubitx. The ubitx 4.3 is trickier to get into a single ino file.

I doubt if usb port 3 is the acutal port where your ubitx is located. If you disconnect the cable does the port go away.

I have a win 10 computer that sometimes I have to turn off and back on to recognize stale port.

Kevin Timm

I'm pretty sure that COM3 is correct as that's the value I used when I reloaded the firmware.

K5KDT
Kevin

Jack, W8TEE

I would expect different machines to use different COM ports. If I compile for a Nano, it's COM4. For a Teensy, its COM6. I would not be surprised by different COM ports. You can use the Control Panel - Device Manager to see how the ports are allocated.

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 10:53:46 AM EST, Kevin Timm <kevindtimm@...> wrote:

I'm pretty sure that COM3 is correct as that's the value I used when I reloaded the firmware.

K5KDT
Kevin

Kevin Timm

I downloaded the original firmware (see above) and still had no CAT control.  So, I downloaded 1.1 from KD8CEC and now I can use the memory mgr and the CAT all works.

Very nice.

K5KDT
Kevin

Thanks for the suggestions