Topics

Ruh Roh - uBitx v3 Arduino firmware update FAIL #arduino #firmware

N5YFA
 

Well, after almost a year after receiving my uBitx from HFSignals, I got around to building it into Sunil's case. I had the WX audio and replaced it with a socket and a different brand of audio. Hit the power button and viola! It worked - well on receive anyway. No mike yet.

So, I decide I need to do a firmware update/upgrade and get some feature goodness - like CAT. I know nothing of programming the Arduino.

I decided to go with the latest CEC firmware and tried to connect to the Arduino via the OEM memory manager. Nada - no communication. Some more research reveals the OEM firmware (v.02?) won't talk except at 9600 baud. Ooookay, we can do that. Nope, not happening. Next I install a free IDE, Arduino Builder. Not seeing what I need. More research. I found that you could load a .hex file via XLoader (thanks ubitx.net). I went hunting for that, found a version would work (I tried one that didn't list my specific Arduino, but I didn't know that - yet) - meaning it would talk to the Arduino and appeared to upload code. Or maybe not. It appeared to get hung so I unplugged to reset. Came up as normal to default freq. Rinse, lather, repeat. Paging Einstein....

The exact details of what happened in which order are fuzzy after the attempt to load the latest CEC .hex, but I got to the point where I needed to find the correct XLoader that had what I now knew would more likely be the correct Arduino - Duemilanove/NANO(ATmega328) as an option. Back to my search page. A couple of bad links links later I found one that seemed to communicate fine at 57600 baud and returned a "30474 bytes uploaded" message.  Both XLoader interfaces looked the same, one just didn't have my Nano listed. Maybe that first one kind of worked, I don't know. I did manage to get something loaded onto the Arduino (or at least scrambled), and probably incorrectly so now the screen has the top line of black rectangles and the bottom line is blank.

BUT, I can connect to the Arduino now with the Ubitx memory manager at 38400 baud and and it does read from the uBitx. However, I have no idea if any of the read values are valid or even what is actually being read from the Arduino. The Arduino IDE seems to connect as well, but it won't load a .hex file that wasn't complied with it. (sigh)

But wait, there's more!

Every attempt to compile code (OEM or CEC) in the Arduino v1.8.7 IDE or the Arduino Builder results in consistent compile errors too numerous to list herein, but the bulk of the errors seem to involve a recurring " 'not_a_real_variable_name' was not declared in this scope" theme in the error dump. I DO have an error dump file (copy paste from IDE). Probably not holding my tongue right when I click compile/verify.

Read a lot of threads on the subject before my attempts and during and felt I had managed to avoid or troubelshoot the more basic rookie mistakes, but alas, apparently not.

Bottom line is radio doesn't function. (duh!) I don't think it's bricked although I haven't played with any Arduino enough to know. Might be. [shrug]

So, any ideas?

Thanks

Yusuf N5YFA

Evan Hand
 

From what I read in your email, the place I would start is to insure you have the correct HWX file:
For the original parralell 2 line display:
UBITX_CEC_Vxxxxx_16P.hex    : It is the LCD equipped with uBITX. Default LCD, 16x02 Parallel LCD
UBITX_CEC_Vxxxxx_16P_S.hex  : _16P with I2C Meter 

There are other versions for other displays, so you do need to know which one you have.

The HEX files will not compile with the IDE, for that to work you need the .ino files.  Again, be sure to use the correct file.  It has the same name as above with the .ino file extension.

There are also some default libraries that need to be in the correct directory to compile the source code, though do not have them handy.  Hopefully someone else can help with those files.

Good luck
Evan
AC9TU


N5YFA
 

UBITX_CEC_Vxxxxx_16P.hex
That was it. I was using the UBITX_CEC_Vxxxxx_16D.hex file. XLoader wrote it first time, no issues. Powered up radio and fired right up.

It's the simple ones that get me every time!

Many thanks.

And I DO have the .ino files, several versions including the OEM from Farhan. No compile. Need to understand it BUT now the radio is back online.

73

Yusuf N5YFA

Jack, W8TEE
 

Step 1: Determine if the Nano is bricked.
    Plug a USB cable from your PC into the Nano.
    Load the Arduino IDE.
    Select the Nano board: Tools --> Boards: --> Arduino Nano
    Select the USB port:     Tools --> Port --> ?? (varies by system)
    Load the sample Blink program using: File --> Examples --> 01. Basics --> Blink
Step 2. Click the Compile/Upload icon (right-pointing Arrow immediately below Edit menu option).
    Should give summary load statistics when upload is done
    If it hangs, you may have to download and install the CH340 device driver. Google "download CH340 device driver", download and install.
        After device driver is installed, turn off computer, wait a few seconds, turn back on, and repeat Step 1. (May be unnecessary, but won't hurt to do it.)
Step 3. Check to see if onboard LED is blinking at a 1 second rate. If so, Nano is probably healthy.
Step 4. Try again to load the software.

Jack, W8TEE

On Monday, November 12, 2018, 5:53:18 PM EST, N5YFA <floyd@...> wrote:


Well, after almost a year after receiving my uBitx from HFSignals, I got around to building it into Sunil's case. I had the WX audio and replaced it with a socket and a different brand of audio. Hit the power button and viola! It worked - well on receive anyway. No mike yet.

So, I decide I need to do a firmware update/upgrade and get some feature goodness - like CAT. I know nothing of programming the Arduino.

I decided to go with the latest CEC firmware and tried to connect to the Arduino via the OEM memory manager. Nada - no communication. Some more research reveals the OEM firmware (v.02?) won't talk except at 9600 baud. Ooookay, we can do that. Nope, not happening. Next I install a free IDE, Arduino Builder. Not seeing what I need. More research. I found that you could load a .hex file via XLoader (thanks ubitx.net). I went hunting for that, found a version would work (I tried one that didn't list my specific Arduino, but I didn't know that - yet) - meaning it would talk to the Arduino and appeared to upload code. Or maybe not. It appeared to get hung so I unplugged to reset. Came up as normal to default freq. Rinse, lather, repeat. Paging Einstein....

The exact details of what happened in which order are fuzzy after the attempt to load the latest CEC .hex, but I got to the point where I needed to find the correct XLoader that had what I now knew would more likely be the correct Arduino - Duemilanove/NANO(ATmega328) as an option. Back to my search page. A couple of bad links links later I found one that seemed to communicate fine at 57600 baud and returned a "30474 bytes uploaded" message.  Both XLoader interfaces looked the same, one just didn't have my Nano listed. Maybe that first one kind of worked, I don't know. I did manage to get something loaded onto the Arduino (or at least scrambled), and probably incorrectly so now the screen has the top line of black rectangles and the bottom line is blank.

BUT, I can connect to the Arduino now with the Ubitx memory manager at 38400 baud and and it does read from the uBitx. However, I have no idea if any of the read values are valid or even what is actually being read from the Arduino. The Arduino IDE seems to connect as well, but it won't load a .hex file that wasn't complied with it. (sigh)

But wait, there's more!

Every attempt to compile code (OEM or CEC) in the Arduino v1.8.7 IDE or the Arduino Builder results in consistent compile errors too numerous to list herein, but the bulk of the errors seem to involve a recurring " 'not_a_real_variable_name' was not declared in this scope" theme in the error dump. I DO have an error dump file (copy paste from IDE). Probably not holding my tongue right when I click compile/verify.

Read a lot of threads on the subject before my attempts and during and felt I had managed to avoid or troubelshoot the more basic rookie mistakes, but alas, apparently not.

Bottom line is radio doesn't function. (duh!) I don't think it's bricked although I haven't played with any Arduino enough to know. Might be. [shrug]

So, any ideas?

Thanks

Yusuf N5YFA

N5YFA
 

Jack,

It looks like it is not bricked, just confused. Anyway, good tip about the determining if ones nano is in fact bricked. Looks like you'll be getting another customer for your book too.

I really like this radio. So much potential and dagnabbit, I'm learning something along the way. ;-)

Thanks for your reply Jack.

73

Yusuf N5YFA

Jack, W8TEE
 

However, I still can't figure out what your issue is.

Jack, W8TEE


On Monday, November 12, 2018, 8:51:27 PM EST, N5YFA <floyd@...> wrote:


Jack,

It looks like it is not bricked, just confused. Anyway, good tip about the determining if ones nano is in fact bricked. Looks like you'll be getting another customer for your book too.

I really like this radio. So much potential and dagnabbit, I'm learning something along the way. ;-)

Thanks for your reply Jack.

73

Yusuf N5YFA

N5YFA
 

Jack,

Evan AC9TU (danke) reminded me to check the basics. I was trying to load the wrong hex file based on my display. I used XLoader to upload the correct hex file (the pre-compiled CEC version), my uBitx works just fine. Hence confused, not bricked. Bullet dodged.

As far as the inability to compile the .ino files due to errors, well, that's going to take some more study and research on my part. But, it seems it's an investment I'll need to make to get the most from the uBitx and the post-production hobbyist variants. Until two days ago and excluding network automation scripting, I've not done anything related to programming or compiling in a very very long time - punch cards long time. That I had errors isn't surprising.

My radio works now and that was my priority. And I learned a bunch along the way. I can tinker at my own pace.

Yusuf N5YFA

Daniel Conklin
 

That's what it's all about!  I've learned a lot by following this group and trying the mods as they are being discussed, and I encourage others to do that too and not get discouraged.  This radio is a great platform for learning.
73,  Dan  W2DLC

YO8UFO
 

Hi! As Mr. Jack Purdum stated in an earlier post, to work properly, the Arduino IDE wants your sketch to reside in a directory with the same name as your sketch, in our case "ubitx_20" because our main file is ubitx_20.ino. So you create a folder with this name and put inside all the files you find in the source code, there are 7 files if I remember correct. Now it should compile at least. If it's not uploading I think it has something to do with wrong settings around the Arduino board (driver, port number, board version, bootloader version, etc.). I hope you will get through. And by the way, CAT kontrol works also with the factory firmware. Good luck!

AA9GG
 

The Arduino platform is GREAT for beginners as you don't HAVE to get down and dirty with all the registers and such on the CPU.  Other people have taken care of that for you in the wonderful libraries available for it.  For me....I develop micro-controllers for a living and it to me a little getting used to not having to play with the registers.


Virus-free. www.avast.com


On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 9:11 AM Daniel <gonewiththeego@...> wrote:

Hi! As Mr. Jack Purdum stated in an earlier post, to work properly, the Arduino IDE wants your sketch to reside in a directory with the same name as your sketch, in our case "ubitx_20" because our main file is ubitx_20.ino. So you create a folder with this name and put inside all the files you find in the source code, there are 7 files if I remember correct. Now it should compile at least. If it's not uploading I think it has something to do with wrong settings around the Arduino board (driver, port number, board version, bootloader version, etc.). I hope you will get through. And by the way, CAT kontrol works also with the factory firmware. Good luck!



--
Paul Mateer, AA9GG
Elan Engineering Corp.
www.elanengr.com
NAQCC 3123, SKCC 4628