Topics

FT8

M. LeBlanc

Hello,

I heard about one or several other QRP kits that come with FT8 in the radios OS.  Is FT8 something that can be worked in to a Micro-Bitx with a phone or PC For time and display but without a sound-card interface?

Thanks,

Misha VE9GIS FN76

Ashhar Farhan

You will have to connect the sound card. There isnt any DSP in the ubitx, yet...
- f

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018, 00:14 M. LeBlanc <mm@... wrote:

Hello,

I heard about one or several other QRP kits that come with FT8 in the radios OS.  Is FT8 something that can be worked in to a Micro-Bitx with a phone or PC For time and display but without a sound-card interface?

Thanks,

Misha VE9GIS FN76

Jerry Gaffke

Hmm.
Sounds like some future uBitx v5 may prove interesting.
The QSX looks promising too, but not very hackable.

Jerry

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 05:58 PM, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
You will have to connect the sound card. There isnt any DSP in the ubitx, yet...
- f

Ashhar Farhan

jerry,
no secret here, but i do dream of swapping the arduino with a raspberry pi W ....
- f

On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 8:06 AM Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hmm.
Sounds like some future uBitx v5 may prove interesting.
The QSX looks promising too, but not very hackable.

Jerry

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 05:58 PM, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
You will have to connect the sound card. There isnt any DSP in the ubitx, yet...
- f

Doug W

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 09:57 PM, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
no secret here, but i do dream of swapping the arduino with a raspberry pi W ....
The W on the Pi is very delicate.  I routinely knocked it out with playing with WSPR at 100mW using the TAPR shield.  Separating the shield from the Pi from 10cm jumpers fixed the problem with both the RPi3 and RPiZero.

--
www.bitxmap.com

John Scherer

Hi Mesha,

This guy using FT8 on an Asus Tinker Board, a Raspberry Pi clone, but much faster.  While it might be a bit overkill, depending on the case your uBitx is in, you might be able to have a tinker board in the same case.  The audio from the uBitx would need to go into the tinker board as well for this to work.  This could be a fun experiment as you could connect to the TInker Board over wifi and run ft8.  The TInker Board, being mostly raspberry pi compatible, it would be icing on the cake if someone could make a Radruino-like board that a raspberry pi could connect to, and software to control it!
--
John - N0CTL - Fulltime RV in a 40' motorhome

Nigel G4ZAL

I tweaked my ubitx so I have an 'all in one' rig for FT8 and other digi modes, including CAT control (FT-817 emulation).
Added an un-powered 4 port USB hub inside the rig and used a cheap USB sound card (discarded casing shown to right side of the pics below).
I cut the USB cable and hard wired the USB hub from the back panel and on into the Raduino via the USB hub (didn't connect the USB 5v power into the Raduino).
Hacked the USB sound card so I could wire it directly to the corresponding MIC and SPKR wiring (used an old PC CD-ROM audio cable).
I'm using the latest firmware KD8CEC in the ubitx and now have CAT control, sound etc over one USB cable to my PC/laptop.

I can also upload new firmware without opening the case.

Nigel

Praba Karan

Are isolation transformers not necessary?

On Thu, Nov 8, 2018, 6:11 PM Nigel G4ZAL <nigel@...> wrote:

I tweaked my ubitx so I have an 'all in one' rig for FT8 and other digi modes, including CAT control (FT-817 emulation).
Added an un-powered 4 port USB hub inside the rig and used a cheap USB sound card (discarded casing shown to right side of the pics below).
I cut the USB cable and hard wired the USB hub from the back panel and on into the Raduino via the USB hub (didn't connect the USB 5v power into the Raduino).
Hacked the USB sound card so I could wire it directly to the corresponding MIC and SPKR wiring (used an old PC CD-ROM audio cable).
I'm using the latest firmware KD8CEC in the ubitx and now have CAT control, sound etc over one USB cable to my PC/laptop.

I can also upload new firmware without opening the case.

Nigel

Martin KM6TCD

YES! That is on my list of things to bring up.
km6tcd

Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2018 at 7:57 PM
From: "Ashhar Farhan" <farhanbox@...>
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] FT8
jerry,
no secret here, but i do dream of swapping the arduino with a raspberry pi W ....
- f

On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 8:06 AM Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hmm.
Sounds like some future uBitx v5 may prove interesting.
The QSX looks promising too, but not very hackable.

Jerry

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 05:58 PM, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
You will have to connect the sound card. There isnt any DSP in the ubitx, yet...
- f

Nigel:

I would love to learn the step-by-step details of how you made this work, and the actual devices used. I also wonder if anyone has wired an IF out for an SDF Pan Adapter? The package would be awesome.

David A Posthuma, WD8PUO

1 (616) 283-7703

I tweaked my ubitx so I have an 'all in one' rig for FT8 and other digi modes, including CAT control (FT-817 emulation).
Added an un-powered 4 port USB hub inside the rig and used a cheap USB sound card (discarded casing shown to right side of the pics below).
I cut the USB cable and hard wired the USB hub from the back panel and on into the Raduino via the USB hub (didn't connect the USB 5v power into the Raduino).
Hacked the USB sound card so I could wire it directly to the corresponding MIC and SPKR wiring (used an old PC CD-ROM audio cable).
I'm using the latest firmware KD8CEC in the ubitx and now have CAT control, sound etc over one USB cable to my PC/laptop.

I can also upload new firmware without opening the case.

Nigel

Typo Correction, SDR Pan

David A Posthuma, President

E-Church Essentials, LLC

AssessME.org

Author: Made for a Mission

Author: eShift

1-800-724-1159

1 (616) 283-7703

I tweaked my ubitx so I have an 'all in one' rig for FT8 and other digi modes, including CAT control (FT-817 emulation).
Added an un-powered 4 port USB hub inside the rig and used a cheap USB sound card (discarded casing shown to right side of the pics below).
I cut the USB cable and hard wired the USB hub from the back panel and on into the Raduino via the USB hub (didn't connect the USB 5v power into the Raduino).
Hacked the USB sound card so I could wire it directly to the corresponding MIC and SPKR wiring (used an old PC CD-ROM audio cable).
I'm using the latest firmware KD8CEC in the ubitx and now have CAT control, sound etc over one USB cable to my PC/laptop.

I can also upload new firmware without opening the case.

Nigel

Nigel G4ZAL

@Praba - I've built a couple of devices like this and never had any issues requiring isolation transformers (I have some but never fitted them as it worked fine as is).

@David - I used a USB cable "Mini USB 5pin male to female with screw panel mount extention cable" from ebay (mine was wired incorrectly as the colours were wrong according to the USB standard and had to wire according to how they had it set).  I cut this cable to suit and hard wired it to the USB hub (removed the original connection).
My USB hub was a Startech one, but basically any similar one that you can fit inside your enclosure should work.  I removed 2 of the USB sockets on the hub and hard wired my stripped down USB sound card of which I also removed the USB connector and 3.5mm audio/mic sockets and soldered it direct to the hub, plus added connector pins for the audio/mic (CD-ROM) cable.  I only went to these extremes so it would all fit inside my enclosure.  If your enclosure is big enough, you may be able to get away with simply plugging it all together.
The USB sound card can be found on the famous auction web site. Mine was an "External Virtual USB 3D Sound Audio Card Adaptor Converter Mic/Speaker PC Laptop"
I hard wired the Raduino USB side of the connector to the hub as well, but didn't connect the 5v power line (the Raduino is powered as normal).
To program the Raduino you have to have it powered up as normal.

I started out by proving it all worked by assembling all the component parts externally, using USB and audio/mic cables to suit.
The inspiration for the basics are here http://www.g4ilo.com/usblink.html - I just fancied it 'all-in-one' with CAT control.

I use KD8CEC's firmware http://www.hamskey.com/ and use the pre-built hex files and xloader so no need to compile yourself.
Ian's firmware allows CAT control emulation without necessarily needing any hardware mods.

I've worked all continents on my ubitx on FT8, so it does work ;-)

Not tried a pan adapter and probably won't 'hack' my ubitx any more (maybe!).

Nigel