Topics

W0EB's uBITX with 5" Color "mouse" Screen 1st QSO!!! #ubitx #ubitxcw

Jim Sheldon

Finally got time enough after all the work on the 5" color TFT touch/mouse/keyboard display on our BITeensio card in one of my uBITX rigs that I was tuning around 20 meters a few minutes ago and heard CT9/OM7LW on 14.014 working split 1 up.

Gave my uBITX a good test of functions - put it in split, set the TX frequency to 14.015, mode to CW and called him.  Measured 4.89 watts out and I got him first call.  I don't believe the 599 signal report he gave me, but then I don't believe in S meters either.  He WAS quite strong on my little PAR EndFedZ 40-20-10 meter antenna which is only about 15 feet or so above the ground and quite close to the roof of the house.  I normally use this antenna only for testing so I'm super pleased that this particular uBITX's first QSO was a DX station on Madeira Island!  Don't get too much better than that!

Using the mouse and that screen, setup for split was super easy, took only seconds and I made the QSO.

I had spent the previous hour and a half changing out the fan on the case for a bigger one that moves more air to keep the 3.3V heat sink cool.  I do believe I have my hamfest demonstration rig working (have to give a presentation this coming Saturday at the Wichita, KS hamfest on this and the 2.8" color display version.

Jim, W0EB

Alan G4NMA

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 09:21 PM, Jim Sheldon wrote:
CT9/OM7LW
Interesting. I will be visiting Madeira for a week between 15/10 and 22/10. I wonder if he will still be active.

Jim Sheldon

Shortly after I worked him, another CT9 call (I didn't write it down) was being used so I suspect he was operating from a local ham station somewhere on Madeira.  I don't think it was a DXpedition, just operating from some local hams station.

Jim