Topics

Adding /modifying firmware. #firmware

KM4TRT

Thanks N5KBP and Mike,
Memory manager working well.  On now to stand alone analyzer
I bought some extra arduinos for that purpose.

Andy KM4TRT

N5KBP

Turn power off to Ubitx
Choose correct com port. Com7 on my laptop probably something else on yours.
38400 Baud
Press Connect
Press Read from Ubitx
Put Call sign in Text box
Press Write to Ubitx follow prompts
Press Save to file so you can reload a good config in the future if you have a problem.
Power Ubitx back up
That's it.
--
N5KBP

KM4TRT

Hi Mike,
I looked up ver 1.1  memory manager and found the place to enter the call letters .  I noticed his new version does not have all the spaces on the left that the old one had.
I couldn't seem to find any instructions other than Dr. Lees on the old version (which I didnt understand)
A couple of questions
1) Baud rate?  What is it.  Then connect
2) Enter KM4TRT across from "my callsign" and chk the box  Do I have to enter anything in the text box above?
3) Then "write to bitx"  and done?

Thanks
Andy  KM4TRT
Andy

Mike Woods

That’s right!

Your call sign is entered using  a third bit of software - uBITX Manager that runs on Windows and interfaces to the Raduino via USB.  You can set a whole range of parameters for the uBITx using KD8CEC’s uBITx Manager.

Mike

On Mon, 1 Oct 2018 at 4:44 AM, KM4TRT via Groups.Io <garello=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
So if I buy say the Adifruit cable with the built in FTDI and download the driver, then I can download direct to the Nextion with the 4 pin connector instead of the sd card?

KM4TRT

So if I buy say the Adifruit cable with the built in FTDI and download the driver, then I can download direct to the Nextion with the 4 pin connector instead of the sd card?

KM4TRT

Thanks N5KBP for the concise explanation.'
Can I now download the ino file from gitHub, make changes and overwrite what I have put in with the hex Loader?

Thanks Mike, I have already downloaded the latest uBit-x with the hex method and successfully used the micro-sd card.  I'm not familiar with FTDI, but will look it up
I noticed that people have their call letters on the screen.  Is this something you have to add in the Nextion simulation software and re upload?
Andy KM4TRT

Mike Woods

Andy

Two bits of firmware to install:

1) firmware on Raduino that installs the control instructions for queries from the Nextion display.  Uploading the latest firmware gives all current features on the uBITx.
2) firmware for the Nextion display.  Ian describes the method using the micro-sd card.  You can also uplift ad using a usb to FTDI serial interface.  Your choice!  The Mextion has its own processor and also needs firmware to communicate with the uBITx.

Hope this helps...

Mike ZL1AXG

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 at 9:25 AM, KM4TRT via Groups.Io <garello=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi group,
I successfully added Nextion 2.4 screen to my uBit-x  using Dr. Lees  CEC software/firmware? version 1.097 (currently 1.1)'
I have had a lot of fun learning how to use it,  but still confused about the update process
Dr. Lee talks about 2 methods of uploading changes.  1) upload the arduino code directly to the radino, or 2)  Save the arduino code as a hex file and use the bootloader to load the hex file.
When I first set this up, I followed Dr Lee's instructions  on uploading the hex files and was successful.  Dr Lee seems to prefer this method as he goes into great detail on how to do it..
My question is, am I getting confused between firmware and software, are the two methods the same, or will everything be accomplished by uploading the latest  ino file.
Thanks,
Andy KM4TRT

N5KBP

The terms firmware and software are interchangeable in this scenario. The difference in a hex file and a ino file is that a hex file is machine readable and an ino is human readable. When  you write code it is called source file. This is the ino. The arduino IDE compiles or converts this human readable file to a hex file the arduino can read and follow. It hen uploads the hex file to the arduino. The hex file That Dr. Lee distributes is nothing more than the ino file he has already compiled for you. I prefer the ino file myself. It gives you the flexibility to change things if you wish. ie make it use the i2c dsp meter, drop unused functions to free up memory etc.
--
N5KBP

KM4TRT