Topics

Bitx40 vs. uBitx

YO8UFO

Hey everyone! I have a uBitx for few days and I can say that it's awesome! it's my first and only HF transceiver. Yesterday I listened all across 10m to 80m with just few meters of copper wire as an antenna. I can say that was... radio silence almost all over except for the 40m band. Now that I can see 40m band as a quite crowded place, I'm wondering... is there any advantage of having a Bitx40 comparing to uBitx? Is the reception or the transmission of the smaller brother somehow better comparing to the other one, giving the fact that Bitx40 is focused for 40m band only? Because now I'm wondering maybe uBitx wasn't the right choice for me and I should opt out for Bitx40. If we speak only about 40m band, can we say that Bitx40 is better than uBitx or not ? Thanks, and I strongly appreciate any kind of information and comment.

davedt1e@...

Daniel,

I'm a bit of a noob, but I have been playing with with various transceivers in receive mode for a few years.  For what it's worth, I can tell you that regardless of the unit, your going to need more antenna to get decent reception.  Even if it's just taped to the ceiling where you live.  Up in a tree is better.  If it's for receiving only, you can use any cheap wire of any size.  Short antenna and bad band conditions = no reception.

Do this and I think you'll be pleased.

Jack, W8TEE

Daniel:

I have both and I can't really say there's a big difference. One position is save the $50, buy the BITX40, and spend that extra money to upgrade to the best antenna you can buy. On the other hand, check the bands out when there's a major contest on and you find some activity on all bands. Sometimes, I think thousands of us listen to the band, don't hear anyone, so we say "the bands dead" and we give up. If we all got on and tried a few CQ's before giving up, I'll bet we'd find the only reason the band is dead is because we didn't try. So, do you really want to throw all of your eggs into the 40M basket? Eventually, those dead bands are going to open up and you'll want to be part of it. I just hope I'm around to see it!

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, September 23, 2018, 11:06:40 AM EDT, Daniel <gonewiththeego@...> wrote:

Hey everyone! I have a uBitx for few days and I can say that it's awesome! it's my first and only HF transceiver. Yesterday I listened all across 10m to 80m with just few meters of copper wire as an antenna. I can say that was... radio silence almost all over except for the 40m band. Now that I can see 40m band as a quite crowded place, I'm wondering... is there any advantage of having a Bitx40 comparing to uBitx? Is the reception or the transmission of the smaller brother somehow better comparing to the other one, giving the fact that Bitx40 is focused for 40m band only? Because now I'm wondering maybe uBitx wasn't the right choice for me and I should opt out for Bitx40. If we speak only about 40m band, can we say that Bitx40 is better than uBitx or not ? Thanks, and I strongly appreciate any kind of information and comment.

R. E. Klaus <reklaus@...>

Right now we are in a low time of sunspots which is part of the Solar Flux equation that effects our Ionosphere and allows the upper HF bands to work (20 through 10 meters) Until the Solar Cycle starts to raise again, 20 and up will be spotty in whether it's open or not.

KM4TRT

I have a carolina windom 80 antenna about 25 ft up, and whether I'm on the uBit x or the Icom 7300 I get about the same reception.   In the morning 20 meters is good, and after it dwindles , 40 meters stays.  At night 80 meters is hopping.
havn't spent much time on 10 yet.  But you're right Jack, when 20 meters is "dead", if I look on the ICOM, i almost always find a couple of stations.  I think its worth having the uBit x just to have the 80-40-20 option. and it's a great receiver.
Andy

MVS Sarma

If you could have a 20m  band pass filter before antenna signal reaches the first mixer, It is very likely you get those two station on uBitx too.
 All the best
sarma
vu3zmv

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 6:42 PM KM4TRT via Groups.Io <garello=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have a carolina windom 80 antenna about 25 ft up, and whether I'm on the uBit x or the Icom 7300 I get about the same reception.   In the morning 20 meters is good, and after it dwindles , 40 meters stays.  At night 80 meters is hopping.
havn't spent much time on 10 yet.  But you're right Jack, when 20 meters is "dead", if I look on the ICOM, i almost always find a couple of stations.  I think its worth having the uBit x just to have the 80-40-20 option. and it's a great receiver.
Andy

YO8UFO

But actually what is happening? You can hear stations on 20m band with ICOM but cannot hear them with uBitx?

John KG9DK

I have been following this thread on Bitx40 vs. ubitx.  I understood the question to be a comparison between the Bitx40 and the ubitx 40m.  Anyway that would be my question....so are there any different between the performance of Bitx 40 and the ubitx 40m. Taking in the consideration  of   being in spec for the FCC rules too.
john kg9dk.

Richie Chambless

I mainly use 20 and 40. I always go to 20, and then 40 if there is no activity. 80 has lots of activity at night, but I hardly ever hear anything other than rag chews and nets down there.