Topics

CW PTT attack time to slow #ubitx

Joop Stakenborg <joop.stakenborg@...>

Hi there,

just finished a ubitx build and I am trying to use it with my K3NG arduino keyer. I have set the CW configuration to straight key. The keyer output is open collector.

I get a nice sidetone and there is enough power output, about 11 Watts on 20 meters. But if I use the paddle the PTT response is to slow, either the first ‘dit' is lost or the first ‘dah' is turned into a ‘dit’.

Does it help changing the pull-up resistor at the keyer input? Anyone have a suggestion?

Regads,
Joop PG4I

Ben Holmes

This might be a possible fix: https://qrpguys.com/ubitx-cw-conditioning-adapter

ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...>

Another user installed the KD8CEC software and found it to be an improvement.

Changing the pull up will not help the issue.  The factory code is slow in
recognizing keying.

Allison

Ben Holmes schreef op 2018-08-30 20:17:
This might be a possible fix:
https://qrpguys.com/ubitx-cw-conditioning-adapter
_._,_._,_

Thanks Ben,

will have a look.

Regards,
Joop PG4I

ajparent1/KB1GMX schreef op 2018-08-30 20:55:
Another user installed the KD8CEC software and found it to be an
improvement.
Changing the pull up will not help the issue. The factory code is
slow in
recognizing keying.
Okay!
Yes, I bet it takes a while for the code to recognize if we have a keyer input and then switch from USB to CW... Maybe I should hack the code a bit since I want to stick to the stock firmware for a while.

Another approach I see is changing the hardware input. I will investigate both and get back on this topic.

Allison
Regards,
Joop PG4I

ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...>

Joop,

IF you don't mind grinding code where are many possible fixes.
I would suggest looking at V4.3 as it is a bit cleaner and more current.

The biggest issue is the software is a big loop and CW ke is checked
a few times in the loop.  Speeding up the loop is one thing.  Or making
the input interrupt driven so when there is an event it gets the processors
attention.

Allison

W2CTX

On w0eb.com webpage is NANO software that implements interrupt driven CW generation.  Also

eliminates the voltage divider scheme.  Also eliminates the need to switch between straight key

and paddle as both are always active.

rOn

Op 1 sep. 2018, om 03:41 heeft ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...> het volgende geschreven:

Joop,

IF you don't mind grinding code where are many possible fixes.
I would suggest looking at V4.3 as it is a bit cleaner and more current.
Thanks Allison,

I have now tried both the recent V4.3 from GitHub and KD8CEC’s version.
Ian’s version works a bit better, attack time is improved but I am still missing part of the first dit to dah.

The biggest issue is the software is a big loop and CW ke is checked
a few times in the loop. Speeding up the loop is one thing. Or making
the input interrupt driven so when there is an event it gets the processors
attention.

Allison
Thanks for responding

Regards
Joop

Joop Stakenborg <joop.stakenborg@...>

Op 1 sep. 2018, om 04:10 heeft W2CTX <w2ctx@...> het volgende geschreven:

On w0eb.com webpage is NANO software that implements interrupt driven CW generation.  Also

eliminates the voltage divider scheme.  Also eliminates the need to switch between straight key

and paddle as both are always active.

rOn

Okay! Sounds good, will have a look.
I’m afraid the stock firmware is unusable for serious CW transmissions.

Thanks,
Joop PG4I

On August 31, 2018 at 9:41 PM ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...> wrote:
Joop,

IF you don't mind grinding code where are many possible fixes.
I would suggest looking at V4.3 as it is a bit cleaner and more current.

The biggest issue is the software is a big loop and CW ke is checked
a few times in the loop.  Speeding up the loop is one thing.  Or making
the input interrupt driven so when there is an event it gets the processors
attention.

Allison
_

Allison:

Thank you for the clarification. One last question, then, under firmware 1.095, can I use a single input for both straight-key an keyer mode?

David A Posthuma, WD8PUO

1 (616) 283-7703

On w0eb.com webpage is NANO software that implements interrupt driven CW generation.  Also

eliminates the voltage divider scheme.  Also eliminates the need to switch between straight key

and paddle as both are always active.

rOn

On August 31, 2018 at 9:41 PM ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...> wrote:
Joop,

IF you don't mind grinding code where are many possible fixes.
I would suggest looking at V4.3 as it is a bit cleaner and more current.

The biggest issue is the software is a big loop and CW ke is checked
a few times in the loop.  Speeding up the loop is one thing.  Or making
the input interrupt driven so when there is an event it gets the processors
attention.

Allison

Joop Stakenborg <joop.stakenborg@...>

Howdy,

today I have had a go at W0EB’s firmware version together with a I2C LCD display. Using the I2C bus frees up a number of digital and analog lines. A dedicated digital line is used for straight key input (I am using an external keyer). Also, using software interrupts improves keying responsiveness. I no longer have missing dits and dahs…

One thing I am missing in this firmware version: there is no way to set PTT delay, that is the time it takes to go from transmit to receiver. It is much to long, especially for contesting.

It looks like it is hardcoded:
#define CW_TIMEOUT (350l)
in ubitx.h

Regards,
Joop PG4I

Op 1 sep. 2018, om 04:10 heeft W2CTX <w2ctx@...> het volgende geschreven:

On w0eb.com webpage is NANO software that implements interrupt driven CW generation.  Also

eliminates the voltage divider scheme.  Also eliminates the need to switch between straight key

and paddle as both are always active.

rOn

Jim Sheldon

Joop and all, yes, that is the proper value to set it.  When that software was written we didn't think that the uBITX would be used for contesting and we have now been proven wrong - LOL.  Making that number smaller shortens the transition time between TX and RX, larger lengthens the time.  You don't want to get it too short though as that will overwork the relays.  Remember, the uBITX is NOT capable of full break-in (QSK) on CW because relays are being used for T/R switching.  Get that delay too short and your relays won't last long using CW.

Jim Sheldon for the TSW team

[...]

Thanks Jim, I have set it to 100.

Regards,
Joop PG4I

Jim Sheldon

You don't say which version of our firmware.  Did 100 help you get what you wanted?  Please let us know.

Jim