Topics

Keyer

Bill Robbins

I have Sunil's case with the front panel board.  The 4.7K resister is included on that  board.  I fashioned a plug/cable with the other two resistors as part of it.

I have the KD8CEC software installed on the uBitx v4.  I'm fairly certain of the wiring, but also reversed the leads on the key just to be sure.   Also, I have been in the software
and changed the setting from straight key to to paddle.

What am I missing???

Bill
WA8CDU

Adam Goler

What is the issue you're having? I'm guessing it's not working. From your description it seems like you have it wired up in the right way.

First, I would verify the paddle is mechanically functioning by verifying connectivity through the jack, i.e. one side of the paddle connects the "dit" terminal on the jack to ground and vice versa for "dah".

Once that is verified, I would make sure that the ground pin of the jack is connected to the raduino ground. I had a similar problem. If you don't ground the jack the bottom of the voltage divider used to determine whether the paddle has been keyed is floating. If this is the case (enclosure pun intended), when you key either side of the paddle nothing will happen.

Reversing the resistors will only swap dit for dah.

@klimber

I also have Sunil's case on a v4 uBITX board .
Added the 2 resistors (10K and 2.2K) to my Paddle key.
Configured the software for Paddle use (latest firmware from KD8CEC).
Measured connectivity etc.
Can get one side of the Paddle to do the Di Di Di ... but the other, nothing.

What could this be?

Matthias Zwoch

Am 27.08.2018 um 19:14 schrieb @klimber:
I also have Sunil's case on a v4 uBITX board .
Added the 2 resistors (10K and 2.2K) to my Paddle key.
Configured the software for Paddle use (latest firmware from KD8CEC).
Measured connectivity etc.
Can get one side of the Paddle to do the Di Di Di ... but the other, nothing.
What could this be?
Had the same behaviour. I had to replace 10k with 8k2 and this solved the problem.

73 Matthias DD7NT

Bill Robbins

Did you find a cure??  I have tried most everything including resistor values, a new front panel board by Sunil, connectivity, etc.  No progress.

Like you, the Di side works but that's all.

Help??

@klimber

I tried the suggestion someone mentioned (changing 10K for 8.2K) with same result (no change).
Then I found this diagram, as you can see, the Key  and Paddle have separate plugs and wiring, I will try this next...

I will let you know if it works.
73's

Bill Robbins

Thank you very much.  This is the best drawing i have yet to see of the uibitx20.  I have Sunils front panel board already for connectors.  Obviously something is wrong.

Let me know.

Bill

Am 30.08.2018 um 02:37 schrieb @klimber:
I tried the suggestion someone mentioned (changing 10K for 8.2K) with same result (no change).
Then I found this diagram, as you can see, the Key  and Paddle have separate plugs and wiring, I will try this next...
I will let you know if it works.
73's
You may connect a 10k lin potentiometer directly to the 4k7 resistor and the other end to GND. If you move slowly from 0k to 10k you should hear dits, dit-dahs and then dah.
(original VU2ESE software). You can measure (between GND and blue wire) at which voltage betweeen 4k7 and 10k the dits and dahs will occur and you may calculate the needed resistors. I did so and found 8k2 working for me.
A continuous tone for the straight key will not occur in VU2ESE 4.3 software. There is a menu point "Straight key" which must be activated before. (despite that a straight key could be recognized without any menu change at the analog port A6). If the 10k pot wont bring out dahs try a higher value.

73 Matthias, DD7NT

Adam Goler

Hi Bill,

Apologies for the delayed response. It has been a busy week. With regard to your photos, I think your breadboard set up is OK. The white wire and red wires go to the sides of the paddle (I’m guessing) and the black wire to ground.

Regardless of firmware, when you key the different sides of the paddle you should measure a different voltage drop across the 2.2k or 10k resistor. Matthias’ suggestion about the 10k pot would be interesting to try.

Swap the jack see if it helps! Other than that maybe there’s a goof on the board? What does the bottom of that PCB look like? Maybe something weird is going on w/ the ground trace on the PCB.

I saw another post recently about some keyer issues with the latest firmware. Might be worth looking into.

--
Adam Goler, PhD
Cell: (425) 985-8700

"Fear is the mind killer."

W2CTX

A small point but not all firmware uses the different voltage across resistors.

rOn