BITX QSO Afternoon/Evening, Sunday, August 12, 3PM & 7PM Local Time, 7277 kHz in North America, 7177 kHz elsewhere.

John P

BITX QSO Afternoon/Evening, Sunday, August 12, 3PM & 7PM Local Time, 7277 kHz in North America, 7177 kHz elsewhere.

Join us as we make contacts with our BitX-40s or uBitXs or anything else on 7.277 MHz in 40 meters!

This is a worldwide event for BitX40 (and other QRP) stations starting at 3PM and 7pm in each time zone. To participate, call CQ BitX on Sunday, starting at 3PM and/or 7PM your local time. The BitX QSO Night continues through the evening and conditions usually improve after sunset, so it is worthwhile to participate later in the evening.

Suggested Best Operating Practices:

Work at QRP power levels unless conditions require more power.
Call and listen for CQ BITX on the hour and every quarter hour.
It is helpful if you call CQ BITX with your callsign, name and location.
Repeat your callsign a number of times during your CQ BITX and during QSO's.
Start a QSO by confirming the callsign, location, name and signal report of the other operator.
Say the callsign, name and location of the other operator so others can hear.
If the frequency is busy, avoid long conversations.
After your initial QSO is complete, ask if there are any other stations who would like to contact.

Report your QSO's, discuss propagation, noise, signal reports, audio reports, antenna type, etc. in this thread.

This is an undirected, scheduled event.  The BITX QSO Night relies on you to call CQ BITX to initiate contacts with other stations, so warm up that final and transmit a few calls on Sunday evening.  Talk to you then!
--
John - WA2FZW

John P

Don't know if I'll make the afternoon session, but I should be on in the evening. If nothing is happening on SSB, look for me on 40 meter FT-8 around 2315UTC. I'll call "CQ BX". Anyone else who wants to try FT-8 should do the same.
--
John - WA2FZW

John P

Just a reminder!
--
John - WA2FZW

Jack, W8TEE

Storm late yesterday afternoon with 80mph straight-line winds. Limbs, indeed, entire trees, down or uprooted. I think my antenna is somewhere in WV.

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, August 12, 2018, 9:50:54 AM EDT, John P <j.m.price@...> wrote:

Just a reminder!
--
John - WA2FZW

Konrad Kristensen <konrad.kristensen@...>

Jack,
Sorry, - very sorry, to read the bad news.

The winds were strong up here, but you must really have been hit hard.

Konrad,

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 10:08 AM Jack Purdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Storm late yesterday afternoon with 80mph straight-line winds. Limbs, indeed, entire trees, down or uprooted. I think my antenna is somewhere in WV.

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, August 12, 2018, 9:50:54 AM EDT, John P <j.m.price@...> wrote:

Just a reminder!
--
John - WA2FZW

Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...>

EEP. I had that happen earlier in the year. An ice storm came through with a bunch of snow and ripped a huge pine tree in our front yard out of the ground and delicately laid it across the power and comm cables along the roadside. It knocked out power to the neighborhood, and took me a day and a half to get removed so the power company could restore the power. Surprisingly enough, my antenna survived. THAT was anchored to an oak tree on the other side of the yard.

Yesterday's storm didn't do us any damage, but scared the snot out of me. I was driving a ground rod at the edge of our front porch and had just started attaching the ground wire to it when the thunderboomer slammed in, blowing rain sideways so it drenched me. I was afraid that, since I was holding a grounded line, I was probably going to become a protein-based fuse if I didn't drop the wire and get inside. Probably wise of me.

John P

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 10:08 AM, Jack Purdum wrote:
I think my antenna is somewhere in WV.
They have some nice mountaintops to operate from there! Go to the antenna! Seriously, hope you get back on soon!

--
John - WA2FZW

kc1at

"T" storm came thru a of couple hours ago. Still struggling with the static crashes. Guess I should have done the AGC mod. Got that on the list now. I'll try around 7PM but the broadcasters are coming in now on 7284.

don

John P

Calling CQ on 7277. Nothing but noise so far!
--
John - WA2FZW

John P

Somebody's rag chewing on 7277; don't think it's a BitX person. I'm going to try "CQ BX" on FT-8.
--
John - WA2FZW