Topics

ubitx CW straight key wiring

David Kukulka

I've gone through 2 rounds of blowing finals before I finally found it mentioned that the wiring in the manual for the CW straight key was wrong.
It is also wrong on the website https://ubitx.net/wiring-up-a-paddle-and-straight-key/........
The resistor and blue wire must be wired to the upper right terminal in both pictures for it to work properly.
With the wiring as pictured my keyers essentially shorted the ring to the sleeve, hard keying the rig.

I would set up my keyer - plug it into the jack on the ubitx, then power the ubitx up,
unaware that as soon as I powered up, the ubitx was keyed until the finals finally fried.

This is the reference from the same web page mentioning the error in the schematic:
"There is an error on the circuit diagram and the wire up instructions for the CW Key.  The
diagrams show the key connected to pin 2 of the key jack. Pin 2 is the RING terminal, not the TIP."

Just wanted to put this out there in case anyone else is going through similar frustration.
I was so frustrated that I was ready to scrap my ubitx.

Dave New

Wow.  I missed that completely by using the front panel PCB that came with the enclosure from amateurradiokits.in.

Seems like with online resources like that, the schematic and wire-up page could get updated.

Just sayin'...

73,

-- Dave, N8SBE

[...]

Gwen Patton

I also "cheated", using Jim W0EB's breakout boards for the sockets and encoder. They're silkscreened with labels for tip, ring, sleeve, so I didn't wire it to "pin 2", I wired it to what is marked as "tip". So I avoided the incorrect instructions entirely.

Best purchase EVAR.

Gwen NG3P

Mike Woods

dkuk

I want to thank you for pointing out this error on ubitx.net.   I have  fixed this temporarily by removing both the photos from that page and by deleting the reference to the hfsignals.com wire up error (now out of date)

The original wiring diagram and circuit diagram on hfsignals.com were in error.  The error in the circuit diagram was subsequently drawn to list members attention, and I updated the circuit diagram on ubitx.net accordingly.   HF Signals subsequently fixed their circuit diagram and I purged a number of references to the wire up and circuit diagram instructions error.  Obviously I missed one!

It is regrettable that you (and perhaps others?)  have taken the photo as the guide to wiring up their manual key in this manner, and come to grief with the ubitx going directly into TX mode. For that I can but apologise.  Unfortunately this problem wasn't commented on earlier.

Maintaining ubitx.net is a bit of an undertaking. The guide will, from time to time, become a bit out of date, because there is a very active community of hackers. However, I certainly don't want folk burning through finals or getting a really bad steer.   So if anybody spots an error, I attend to these as soon as they are drawn to my attention.   It's normally best to write direct to info@... for the fastest response.

73
Mike ZL1AXG ubitx.net

--
Mike Woods