Topics

Ubitx will be here tomorrow. Any suggestions for a Bitx newbie #ubitx

N5KBP

I took the plung and ordered the Ubitx last Thursday. It will be delivered tomorrow.  Any suggestions for must have mods? I am a newbie to the bitx world but have had a little experience with the Arduino Uno and Nextian displays. I am stealing a 3.5 basic nextion from another arduino project (A digital display for a couple of boatanchor rigs I own, I switched out the TN1638 7 segment displays since the look more retro). I have downloaded the latest KD8CEC htm files and installed them on the nextion and it looks good. I have also ordered some Nano's to have around and plan on using 1 for the new KD8CEC AGC/spectral display expansion to his nextion firmware.
Thanks in advance
Marty
--
N5KBP

Doug W

It is exciting to think about and plan mods.  Do yourself a favor, get it working completely stock first.  That way if anything does not work you have less to troubleshoot.
--
www.bitxmap.com

Kevin Rea

yes, one suggestion...
build it stock first, get it working. then do mods.

kevin
k6rea

EI_Frank

Don't do the Tune Up Calibration unless you absolutely have to.

W7PEA

Use the Groups wiki site... https://groups.io/g/BITX20/wiki/home  and make corrections and additions if you feel its needed.

And what they said, build it vanilla first.

Enjoy, its a fun rig,
W7PEA | Patrick

ajparent1/KB1GMX

ITs been said but I will repeat.

Build it first and test.  Insure you have the 4.7K in place on the key jack.  Double check wiring.

If you are bench testing before boxing it.  Use care to avoid accidental shorts or wires touching
the wrong thing and outside events like ESD (carpet static!).  One example seen was taped to
a piece of card board to keep everything from moving around, worked well too.

Use 13.8 volts for testing as its likely a V4 board (discrete transistor audio amp).

If all goes well you may want mods and to pick out what your box is to look like.

Good luck!

Allison

Truffies

I just received my ubitx building this weekend on cardboard to see if works.

Questions on steps

1. build on cardboard
2. power
3 place 4.7k in key jack
4  ? do you need  to load software?
5. Final listern test to see bands turning rec.
6. Test in dumb load transmit
7. OK build into a case
8. now ready to modify - AGC
9. LCD touch screen add software first to use screen?
  (load hex and how to do in steps please where to find)  dumb all new to me

Build it first and test.  Insure you have the 4.7K in place on the key jack.  Double check wiring.

If you are bench testing before boxing it.  Use care to avoid accidental shorts or wires touching
the wrong thing and outside events like ESD (carpet static!).  One example seen was taped to
a piece of card board to keep everything from moving around, worked well too.

Use 13.8 volts for testing as its likely a V4 board (discrete transistor audio amp).

If all goes well you may want mods and to pick out what your box is to look like.

Good luck!

Allison

Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...>

Hi there..

do step 3 before step 2. Install that resistor first. Then apply power.

4. The software is already 'loaded'.

After you install in a case you will have left me behind. I am not interested in touch screens, etc. Enjoy your new radio:)

73,

Bill KU8H

On 08/02/2018 01:38 PM, Truffies wrote:
[...]

bark less - wag more

f1mqj

Add in 6b : modify the raduino vanilla software to use kd8cec memory manager and get the settings -so you can put these settings in your other nano with the kd8cec software neesing very few calibration.

to do that :
1-load official raduino sources v4.3
look at it and apply the mod shown on kd8cec site to use memory manager with original firmware (add Memory CAT communication kd8cec compatible -take care the published file is for v3 raduino, on v4 sketch the « case » instruction Is used In places of multiples « if » but you can use the same logic (i will send you the file after returning from hollyday this sunday -but if you know arduino prog it’s easy)
2-apply it on your vanilla nano (working nice, well calibrated)
3-run kd8cec memory manager and retrieve memory data from your board
4-save the datas (write or print the main values -calibration, bfo...)
5-program your New nano with kd8cec firmware and preset the values previously found (it’s perhaps not perfect but might not be totally off-calibration is a true problem, i ve not seen a nice process to do it)
TAKE care the pins on the nano might be reversed (the ch340 on the uper side), I ve  put them in order to be able to insert the nano on 1 side or the other
i hope i m Clear enough (not so easy on a smartphone)
73-f1mqj

f1mqj

I added a file/photo showing the reversed side mounting pins for nano

f1mqj

This picture shows the 2 way pins can be soldered reverse on the nano, i choose the first one (not on the desktop) leaving plastic on the CH340 side, it allow using the nano either normal or reverse side (if you don't leave the plastic this side you cannot use Nano on the normal side), BUT you have to take care to do nice soldering with metal getting inside the holes.

f1mqj

What's new Marty ?
Remi - F1MQJ