Topics

VK3YE AGC pcb.

Nick VK4PP

Something I'm Working on...

73 Nick VK4PLN

MVS Sarma

Nice . I suppose we could try to make it smaller

regards
sarma
vu3zmv

Regards
MVS Sarma

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 9:43 AM, Nick VK4PLN <nickpullen@...> wrote:
Something I'm Working on...

73 Nick VK4PLN

Nick VK4PP

Maybe ill do an SMD version too...

Dexter N Muir

It may have been done before: an opto-coupler driven in a linear-transfer range ... ? Certainly smaller and less susceptible to ambient light (opening housing, etc. ... Just alter a few resistor values here and there ... may also be more readily available: scrap an old PC power supply.
73
Dex, ZL2DEX

MVS Sarma

LDR and LED can better be tucmed into a small black tube. That helps intercerence from external lighting.

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 6:35 PM Dexter N Muir, <dexy@...> wrote:

It may have been done before: an opto-coupler driven in a linear-transfer range ... ? Certainly smaller and less susceptible to ambient light (opening housing, etc. ... Just alter a few resistor values here and there ... may also be more readily available: scrap an old PC power supply.
73
Dex, ZL2DEX

Paul Galburt - K2AYZ

Nice feedforward audio limiter/compressor. Back in the day, when I designed professional audio gear, I sometimes used packages like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xvive-Audio-VTL5C3-Opto-Coupler-/331920576160

for such applications. The main limitiations were transfer curve repeatability from unit to unit, limited overall dynamic range, and somewhat slow attack time for some applications.

Ultimately designs based on log characteristics of semiconductors worked better (like THAT 2180 part).

LED/LDR work fine here, except that sharp spikes will sneak throught the attack delay.

I have a batch of about 50 odd 2180's left from the old days that I hope to press into this service. These were kicked out of production THD tests on audio consoles where the limit was 0.005% THD.

73,

Paul K2AYZ

Alan Jones <oalanjones@...>

Hi Nick,
What EDA software are you using?

Al, N8WQ

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 00:13:06 -0400, Nick VK4PLN <nickpullen@...> wrote:

Something I'm Working on...

73 Nick VK4PLN

Nick VK4PP

EasyEDA.com.

Richard Spohn

Regarding the VK3YE...don't make it smaller. I like Kees' AGC kit but
I choked on getting it because I have never worked on SMT boards and
just thinking about doing so makes me tired. Having a through-hole
AGC kit is something I am interested in. Don't make it smaller. -
Rich WB2GXM

On 7/25/18, Mvs Sarma <mvssarma@...> wrote:
Nice . I suppose we could try to make it smaller

regards
sarma
vu3zmv

Regards
MVS Sarma

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 9:43 AM, Nick VK4PLN <nickpullen@...> wrote:

Something I'm Working on...

73 Nick VK4PLN

Nick VK4PP

Hi Richard.
I did make it a bit smaller, but only by standing the resistors and diode on-end.
I agree, SMD is do-able, I have the Kees AGC, but TH is easier on the eyes and less tiring, I also just like the look of TH components too.

I might be able to do a board that you can use either/or if you so choose...Hmm...

I have been thinking deep in my mind about putting all these boards I have done into a single one, as well as a complete TH ubitx board.
Maybe in a modular stacked version... But right now I'm a bit time poor...

73 Nick VK4PLN

Richard Spohn

Nick, if this becomes a kit, will buy one. - Rich WB2GXM

On 7/25/18, Nick VK4PLN <nickpullen@...> wrote:
Hi Richard.
I did make it a bit smaller, but only by standing the resistors and diode
on-end.
I agree, SMD is do-able, I have the Kees AGC, but TH is easier on the eyes
and less tiring, I also just like the look of TH components too.

I might be able to do a board that you can use either/or if you so
choose...Hmm...

I have been thinking deep in my mind about putting all these boards I have
done into a single one, as well as a complete TH ubitx board.
Maybe in a modular stacked version... But right now I'm a bit time poor...

73 Nick VK4PLN

Nick VK4PP

No kit, just PCBs...

Jack, W8TEE

I choked on getting it because I have never worked on SMT boards...

And therein is the problem...you haven't tried it. I'm two years younger than dirt and tried SMD's for the first time a little over a year ago. Like anything new, it takes a little practice, but it's really quite easy. Farhan uses large SMD's (1206's) and they are really easy to work with. I find a good set of angled tweezers and a magnifying headset and some confidence is all you need. Give it a try! After all, Custer took a chance...

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018, 7:17:03 PM EDT, Richard Spohn <wb2gxm@...> wrote:

Regarding the VK3YE...don't make it smaller.  I like Kees' AGC kit but
I choked on getting it because I have never worked on SMT boards and
just thinking about doing so makes me tired.  Having a through-hole
AGC kit is something I am interested in.  Don't make it smaller. -
Rich WB2GXM

On 7/25/18, Mvs Sarma <mvssarma@...> wrote:
> Nice . I suppose we could try to make it smaller
>
> regards
> sarma
> vu3zmv
>
> Regards
> MVS Sarma
>

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 9:43 AM, Nick VK4PLN <nickpullen@...> wrote:
>
>> Something I'm Working on...
>>

>> 73 Nick VK4PLN

Kees T

Nick,

What is the overall power requirement of this circuit with the LED ?

73 Kees K5BCQ

Nick VK4PP

No idea, I'd imagine the LED is only taking 20ma at most...

I run it off the 12v RX line near the R18 resistor, so no issues with that 5v regulator overloading...

Peter VK3YE may be able to shed more "light" on it, HI HI.

73 Nick VK4PLN

Nick VK4PP

Also, 1206 SMD resistors fit nicely across vertical resistor pads...
I have added pads so that you can use MMBTH3409 or 2N3904....

Richard Spohn

And therein is the problem...you haven't tried it.
I may not try it for awhile, Jack. I love your books and I respect
your work greatly...and I respect your opinion greatly. However...I
find TH construction relaxing and fun. TH is part of my personal
approach to the hobby. SMT is not yet, and may or may not be for
awhile.

(And I do still use rotary phones also)...73, Rich WB2GXM

<wb2gxm@...> wrote:

Regarding the VK3YE...don't make it smaller.  I like Kees' AGC kit but
I choked on getting it because I have never worked on SMT boards and
just thinking about doing so makes me tired.  Having a through-hole
AGC kit is something I am interested in.  Don't make it smaller. -
Rich WB2GXM

On 7/25/18, Mvs Sarma <mvssarma@...> wrote:
Nice . I suppose we could try to make it smaller

regards
sarma
vu3zmv

Regards
MVS Sarma

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 9:43 AM, Nick VK4PLN <nickpullen@...> wrote:

Something I'm Working on...

73 Nick VK4PLN

Ralph Mowery

I started building when i was about 14.  I did not do any SMD untuil about 3 years ago and was 65 at the time.  Found a good microscope, and hot air rework station made the SMD very easy.  I would rather do it than the TH now.  Everything is about one one side, making it easy.

Just as anything else, it just takes a few good tools to do the job.  The first smd I did was a 2 meter preamp.  Tried it using some magnifying headsets and nearly burnt my nose off.

de ku4pt

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 11:22 PM, Richard Spohn <wb2gxm@...> wrote:
>And therein is the problem...you haven't tried it.

I may not try it for awhile, Jack.  I love your books and I respect
your work greatly...and I respect your opinion greatly.   However...I
find TH construction relaxing and fun.  TH is part of my personal
approach to the hobby.  SMT is not yet, and may or may not be for
awhile.

(And I do still use rotary phones also)...73, Rich WB2GXM

On 7/25/18, Jack Purdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>  I choked on getting it because I have never worked on SMT boards...
>
>    And therein is the problem...you haven't tried it. I'm two years younger
> than dirt and tried SMD's for the first time a little over a year ago. Like
> anything new, it takes a little practice, but it's really quite easy. Farhan
> uses large SMD's (1206's) and they are really easy to work with. I find a
> good set of angled tweezers and a magnifying headset and some confidence is
> all you need. Give it a try! After all, Custer took a chance...
> Jack, W8TEE
>
> On Wednesday, July 25, 2018, 7:17:03 PM EDT, Richard Spohn
> <wb2gxm@...> wrote:
>
>  Regarding the VK3YE...don't make it smaller.  I like Kees' AGC kit but
> I choked on getting it because I have never worked on SMT boards and
> just thinking about doing so makes me tired.  Having a through-hole
> AGC kit is something I am interested in.  Don't make it smaller. -
> Rich WB2GXM
>
> On 7/25/18, Mvs Sarma <mvssarma@...> wrote:
>> Nice . I suppose we could try to make it smaller
>>
>> regards
>> sarma
>> vu3zmv
>>
>> Regards
>> MVS Sarma
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 9:43 AM, Nick VK4PLN <nickpullen@...> wrote:
>>
>>> Something I'm Working on...
>>>

>>> 73 Nick VK4PLN

m5fra2@...

Just proves that us old timers can be modern!

Colin v- M5FRA

I started building when i was about 14.  I did not do any SMD untuil about 3 years ago and was 65 at the time.  Found a good microscope, and hot air rework station made the SMD very easy.  I would rather do it than the TH now.  Everything is about one one side, making it easy.

Just as anything else, it just takes a few good tools to do the job.  The first smd I did was a 2 meter preamp.  Tried it using some magnifying headsets and nearly burnt my nose off.

de ku4pt

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 11:22 PM, Richard Spohn <wb2gxm@...> wrote:

>And therein is the problem...you haven't tried it.

I may not try it for awhile, Jack.  I love your books and I respect
your work greatly...and I respect your opinion greatly.   However...I
find TH construction relaxing and fun.  TH is part of my personal
approach to the hobby.  SMT is not yet, and may or may not be for
awhile.

(And I do still use rotary phones also)...73, Rich WB2GXM

On 7/25/18, Jack Purdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>  I choked on getting it because I have never worked on SMT boards...
>
>    And therein is the problem...you haven't tried it. I'm two years younger
> than dirt and tried SMD's for the first time a little over a year ago. Like
> anything new, it takes a little practice, but it's really quite easy. Farhan
> uses large SMD's (1206's) and they are really easy to work with. I find a
> good set of angled tweezers and a magnifying headset and some confidence is
> all you need. Give it a try! After all, Custer took a chance...
> Jack, W8TEE
>
> On Wednesday, July 25, 2018, 7:17:03 PM EDT, Richard Spohn
> <wb2gxm@...> wrote:
>
>  Regarding the VK3YE...don't make it smaller.  I like Kees' AGC kit but
> I choked on getting it because I have never worked on SMT boards and
> just thinking about doing so makes me tired.  Having a through-hole
> AGC kit is something I am interested in.  Don't make it smaller. -
> Rich WB2GXM
>
> On 7/25/18, Mvs Sarma <mvssarma@...> wrote:
>> Nice . I suppose we could try to make it smaller
>>
>> regards
>> sarma
>> vu3zmv
>>
>> Regards
>> MVS Sarma
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 9:43 AM, Nick VK4PLN <nickpullen@...> wrote:
>>
>>> Something I'm Working on...
>>>

>>> 73 Nick VK4PLN

David Wilcox <Djwilcox01@...>

I second the thoughts of Jack.  I am 73 with declining vision but have had no or very little trouble with SMD.  I use one of the inexpensive medical type head loupes and very bright light.  My fine tip soldering tip works well.  Go light on the solder. I tin the pads first and that is usually enough solder to do the job, and tomb stoning a resistor or cap is easy to break a circuit to add something to the circuit. Everyone should give it a try.  John, KC9ON, at swaps hands out little circuit boards with parts to make a sequential flasher from SMD parts as a practice kit.  It's a hoot and builds confidence. You can order them also from many eBay sites.

But then again, I have seen a few "ham fisted" hams build through hole kits and bungle up everything.  Sorry to say they went away sad as they could never get it, even with others help.  But they went back to old fashioned hamming with 100+ watts and SSB and are still making contacts while hams like me are pulling our hair out trying to get the latest kit working.  Ha!

Dave K8WPE