Topics

Receive pitch shifts when confirming.... #ubitx #ubitx-help #arduino

mtrager1@...

I am back troubleshooting my uBITx build and am still trying to get the receiver sounding normal.

I was able to use values that other had great success with and now I am at the point where I need to fine tune the pitch setting.

However when I go to confirm the pitch setting the pitch shifts back to where it was before or to another setting! Even when I connect the usb cable
to my computer I notice an eventual pitch change...

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks  73's Michael

Ion Petroianu, VA3NOI

Hi Michael!
What firmware are you using?
In case you use Ian's firmware I will tell you what I have done to get my uBitX calibrated.
Please let me know and I will try to help.
73,
--
Ion

VA3NOI

mtrager1@...

Hi Ion,

I am using the latest from KD8CEC 1.08.

I can get the receiver to sound ok until I try to save it!

Thank you,

Michael n2zdb

Ralph Mowery

I thought I read somewhere after you get the frequency set you have to turn the ubitx off and then back on to save the settings.

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 3:34 PM, <mtrager1@...> wrote:
Hi Ion,

I am using the latest from KD8CEC 1.08.

I can get the receiver to sound ok until I try to save it!

Thank you,

Michael n2zdb

mtrager1@...

It says PTT to confirm.

I think the number is changing but not the pitch.

mtrager1@...

I can change the vfo on the ubitx and it is 270Hz off.

K3 output on 28400000

UBitX             28400270 for natural pitch

Why does the pitch go back and forth when I try to save it?

Michael n2zdb

Ion Petroianu, VA3NOI

I will explain what I did and it worked for me.
Turn ON the radio with the function (encoder push button) pressed and hold it.
Watch the screen for messages to reset to factory defaults.
Last thing it will ask you is to turn off the radio and back on again (power reset). Do it. Connect your antenna.
You are now at the beginning of the calibration.
Go to settings and enable them (if the message on the screen reads "setup on? press the encoder push switch).
Set the radio on 30m (10.100 MHz) and rotate the encoder until you are on 10.000 MHz
Press the encoder again and now, after "exit menu?" you will have more options in the menu.
First option in setup menu, after "Exit menu?" is "Set Calibration?". Select that and zero beat the carrier. You have to spend some time there until you hear the voice and the voice should sound decent. When you are happy with the result press PTT and after a second or two do a power reset (Radio off and on again).
Select a band where you have activity and tune to a station that is not very strong.
Enable again Setup menu as above. Enter setup and go to "Set the BFO". Select that option by pressing the encoder push switch.
Your BFO frequency should be around 11.997 MHz. Adjust the BFO to get the natural sound. Press PTT when you are happy with the result and do a last power reset.
Try to find a broadcast SW station (in my case I can hear a broadcast station on 7.210 MHz in the evenings). Check that you cannot hear the carrier and there is no difference in the reception sound if you switch the mode from LSB to USB.
It only took me 10 minutes to have it done and I am happy with the result.
Good luck and 73,
--
Ion

VA3NOI

W2CTX

Please state what firmware and version you are using when stating a problem or explaining how something works.

There are numerous versions now in circulation.

rOn

On July 22, 2018 at 7:08 PM "Ion Petroianu, VA3NOI" <ion.petroianu@...> wrote:

[...]

Ion,

Thank you for your help.I will give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

I was not able to zero beat the carrier from WWV on 10MHz (there was no null or center).

I also may have deleted the default values when using the KD8CEC Memory Manager. What default values do you use?

One guy used a Master Cal of 143000 and USB Cal of 11996200 which worked fairly well except for the 270 Hz error which I couldn't correct.

Will let you know tomorrow....

73's Michael
n2zdb

Correct, only PTT sets it or else it reverts back to old value.

Raj

At 23/07/2018, you wrote:
It says PTT to confirm.

I think the number is changing but not the pitch.

Jerry Gaffke

To hear much of a zero-beat, the BFO should be set within the passband of the 12mhz filter as per post 54501.
I have no idea how the various firmware releases out there are doing in that regard.

Jerry

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 05:40 PM, <mtrager1@...> wrote:
I was not able to zero beat the carrier from WWV on 10MHz (there was no null or center).

Ion Petroianu, VA3NOI

Hi Michael,
Here is my calibration saved with the help of uBitX manager.

You can try loading it.
I do not have a factory settings files as I replaced my Nano.
You can get the factory values by uploading first Farhan's firmware 4.3.
Hope this helps.
--
Ion

VA3NOI

mtrager1@...

Hi Ion,

Will now try this on Thursday evening or Friday the latest.
Busy working this week:(

Michael

mtrager1@...

Hi Ion,

Finally had a chance to try your method.
First off I used your initial settings above and everything sounded great (BFO=11997200) but the VFO was 1KHz high at 28.4 MHz.

                    -1

Second I tried your cal method and was able to zero beat it...however....my voice was very shallow (transmitting from my K3's memory).
These are the values that came up:

     Master    131250
     LSB         -1
     USB        111995650   (BFO)   not good....but why did this happen?  This is why is sound so shallow or narrow.
     SideT      -1

I also noticed that with the KD8CEC Manager I can hit reset and that is the same thing as removing the power (power plug and USB plug). Much easier.

Now do you or anyone else know why I am not getting the correct bandpass setting. If I go to 11997 is sounds terrible with those settings.

Thank you,

Michael n2zdb

Ion Petroianu, VA3NOI

Michael,
You found the right BFO frequency as 11997200.
At this point I would leave the uBitx manager aside and go to enable setup. Verify that your BFO is still 11997200 by going to Set carrier. If not adjust it to that and save by pressing PTT. Power reset the rig.
Power on and again enable setup. No go and do calibration by zero beating either 10 Mhz or 15 Mhz universal time beacon.
Make sure you are using USB (upper side band).
In my rig the number was 19. Find yours and save by pressing PTT. Power reset and check 7074 KHz for signal loud and clear when USB and no sound when LSB.
For me it worked like that. I am running 1.08 CEC firmware.
After the calibration was done I have used uBitx manager to set the S-meter and save my setup.
Hope it helps.
73,
--
Ion

VA3NOI

mtrager1@...

Ion,

Still not able to get the frequency accurate.

Any idea why I can't use the MM and set the calibration number to what I want and then encode it and boot it in to the uBITx?

It comes back with the previous number.

I noticed in your file you have a meter and some ++ in there. Is that the s-meter and are then any special mods for that?

Thanks again,

73's Michael

Ion Petroianu, VA3NOI

Michael,
I do not know what number you shall write in uBitx manager calibration field for your particular clock crystal (25 MHz crystal for SI clock generator). Why don't you try calibration using the setup menu of the radio itself? If the UT beacons on 5 MHz, 10 MHz and 15MHz cannot be received at your QTH try a SW broadcast station on a known frequency.
At my QTH I can hear loud and clear a Spanish broadcast on 7.210 MHz almost every day around 7:00 p.m. EDT.
To be able to use the S-meter you should have a voltage detector of the audio signal installed ay the hot end of the volume potentiometer.
You already have that if you install Don/Kees AGC kit.
You will connect your unused purple wire on the digital connector to the output of the voltage detector and enable S-meter function through uBitx manager.
To read more about that check Ian's website www.hamskey.com
73,
--
Ion

VA3NOI

mtrager1@...

Ion,

I managed to get my uBITX on frequency today.  Just used the MM and figured if it was 250Hz off @143000 and 1000Hz off at 166250...then I split the difference
by 3 and subtracted that from 143000 to get 135,250 (which is the magic number for my radio).

The 10 meter band is right on now according to my K3.

Now I just wish the receive would sound  a little cleaner. Are you satisfied how yours sounds? Mine seems better if I lower the IF by 250Hz (IF-250).

Also the TX output is terrible on the higher freq bands and carrier null is bad on the lower bands.

What is potentiometer RV1 for tx drive? Mine is all the way up.

Thanks for your help and being patient with me:)

73's Michael
n2zdbv

Ion Petroianu, VA3NOI

Michael,
Now that you are on frequency you can adjust again the BFO. BFO frequency differs from unit to unit depending on the filter passband. If the pitch on receive is too low you should increase your BFO frequency, or lower it if the pitch is too high. From your IF shift required I guess your pitch is low. Play with BFO (carrier) frequency a little and see if you can get the sound you like.
My RV1 setting is about 90% and I get 12 W on 80, 10 W on 40, 7 W on 20. Power out drops to 1.2W at 28.4 MHz. All those powers are CW, key down, not SSB, measured into a dummy load using the power meter on a MFJ antenna tuner.
This has been discussed a lot and is the result of components used. You can try some of the hardware mods and find what works for you. Mine is stock, running at 12.8 V provided by a linear, 6 A capable power supply.
On SSB my power was low, so I had to increase the microphone amplifier gain.
I did not measure the carrier suppression, so I have no reference number for you.
I hope this help.
73,
Ion
VA3NOI

--
Ion

VA3NOI

mtrager1@...

Hi Ion,

OK I lowered the BFO until I was satisfied with the high end. Right now it is at 11996200 and I may move it up a bit.

I can see the difference in the transmission on my K3's P3 Panadapter......much clearer.

I will have to check into the AGC mod also.

73's Michael
n2zdb