Topics

Source for female connectors/pins/manual crimp tool?

Dave New

Greetings,

Sorry if this has been hashed over before on the list, but I couldn't find any reference to this, either here or on the various wiki/facebook, etc. sites I found.

I have a uBITX and one of the cases.  Between the two, there are a number of interesting PCBs, cables, etc.  There are two cables provided with the uBITX that are 8-way with female housings on one end of each cable (the other end is just loose wires).

The case comes with a front panel PCB, which has lands for 8-way BergStik-type male pins (which I was able to provide from my junque box).  Now I realize that I could've just soldered the loose wires from the cables provided with the uBITX into the front panel PCB, but now that I've gone and soldered all the male pins on the front panel PCB, I now need to find the appropriate female housings/pins and a manual crimp tool, to make it all look (and work) good/well.

I think I've found the appropriate stuff on Mouser, in their Amphenol/FCI brand, but I thought it might be helpful to find out what others on the list have used (or did they just solder the loose wires to the front panel PCB?).  A number of pictures I've seen of a uBITX installed in a case shows connectors on both ends of the digital and analog cables,  but no hint where to find such animals.

I did find a pre-made cable on Amazon (by searching on Relimate), but they wanted $90 USD for one cable, meaning that I would have to plunk down $180 USD for two!  That methinks goes against the spirit of the whole BITX thing, where the point is to come up with a reproducible inexpensive design.

So, links to messages, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and 73,

-- Dave, N8SBE

Doug W

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 11:57 AM, Dave New wrote:
I have a uBITX and one of the cases
This has come up many times but it is tough to search for something when you are trying to figure out what it is called.

You didn't say what case you have so I can't help there but the connectors on both the BITX40 and µBITX from HFsignals are Molex KK.  You can find them just about anywhere.

Digi-Key
connector https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex-llc/08-50-0114/WM1114-ND/26475
housing (2 position to get you to the right section) https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex-llc/22-01-2027/WM2011-ND/171991

Tayda while lower cost only has the connectors with the "ears" on them from a reel that you have to trim off making them less than ideal.
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/connectors-sockets/wafer-housing-crimp-terminal/serie-2500-2-54mm.html

While not up to NASA standards, I crimp them with mini pliers like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7THAPR.  Buy a few extra connectors for practice.  I find folding over the stripped end of the wire gives you more to crimp on to.  I have zero doubt a proper crimp tool would work better but the pliers work for me.

--
www.bitxmap.com

Dennis Yancey <bigbluedry@...>

You can make a Cable out of DuPont wires. You get 6 or 8 pins, lined up and clamped and use large shrink wire if black tape to hold them together. You could touch the seams between the pins/sockets with Super Glue. I have never done it with 8 wires but have made several 3 or 4 wire cables this way.

Budd Churchward has some good tips in his YouTube videos.

Dave New

Thanks,

I ordered:

100% Brand new high quality connector, pin headers and IDC cable kit
Package quantity: 635-Piece and 5-Feet 10-Wire IDC Cable

Package Includes:
Dupont Connector Female / Male Housing Connector.
1x2P Dupont Connector Housing Female-----------20-Piece
1x3P Dupont Connector Housing Female-----------20-Piece
1x4P Dupont Connector Housing Female-----------20-Piece
1x5P Dupont Connector Housing Female-----------20-Piece
1x6P Dupont Connector Housing Female-----------20-Piece
1x7P Dupont Connector Housing Female-----------20-Piece
1x8P Dupont Connector Housing Female-----------20-Piece
1x9P Dupont Connector Housing Female-----------20-Piece

210-Piece Dupont Jumper Wire Cable Female Pin Connector.
210-Piece Dupont Jumper Wire Cable MalePin Connector.

10-Piece 40 Pin 2.54mm Pitch Single Row PCB Pin Header
10-Piece 40 Pin 2.54mm Pitch Single Row Right Angle PCB Pin Headers

5-Feet 10-Wire Rainbow Color Flat Ribbon IDC Cable

for $13.87 USD, and:

IWISS Crimping Tools for Dupont Professional Pin Compression Ratcheting Modular Insulated Terminal Crimper Pin 2.54mm 3.96mm 28-18AWG 0.5-1.0mm2 with Wire-electrode Cutting Die

for $22.99 USD

I'd say the tool dies look a LOT like the one I have for Anderson Powerpoles, but I'd rather have one that is specifically designed for the Dupont stuff than to take a chance that it doesn't fit quite right. I'm a great believer in proper crimping.

In any event, since I'm a Prime member, I will get both of those with free shipping in two days.

I figured that if I got a decent quantity of the housings/pins, I could share with my club mates, since we did a quantity buy of the uBITX, and a number of them are also ordering the case I got.  No sense everyone having to scour the Internet for missing connectors.

73,

-- Dave, N8SBE

[...]

Vince Vielhaber

On 07/20/2018 01:26 PM, Doug W wrote:

Tayda while lower cost only has the connectors with the "ears" on them
from a reel that you have to trim off making them less than ideal.
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/connectors-sockets/wafer-housing-crimp-terminal/serie-2500-2-54mm.html
You must have gotten a bad batch or listened to someone who had. The reel pins you get from Tayda are attached at the end where the wire goes in, not off of the ears. I've purchased hundreds from them and all were the same.

Now if someone has a source for pre-crimped wires like what comes with the bitx, I'd sure appreciate a link or at least a name of what they're called.

Vince.
--
Michigan VHF Corp. http://www.nobucks.net/ http://www.CDupe.com/
http://www.metalworkingfun.com

Doug W

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 03:45 PM, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
The reel pins you get from Tayda are attached at the end where the wire goes in, not off of the ears. I've purchased hundreds from them and all were the same.
Good to know.  I have heard from others that they needed to be trimmed and that is how they look to me in the picture on their site so I have avoided them.  I like to be wrong when the right answer is better for me.

--
www.bitxmap.com

Mike Woods

The KK equivalent out of the Far East is called KF2510.   You can buy sets of these very affordably with different pin numbers.

Mike

On 21/07/18 12:01 PM, Doug W wrote:
On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 03:45 PM, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
The reel pins you get from Tayda are attached at the end where the wire goes in, not off of the ears. I've purchased hundreds from them and all were the same.
Good to know.  I have heard from others that they needed to be trimmed and that is how they look to me in the picture on their site so I have avoided them.  I like to be wrong when the right answer is better for me.

--
www.bitxmap.com

--
Mike Woods
mhwoods@...

Vince Vielhaber

Don't pay attention to the pic. Take a look at the datasheet.

Vince.

www.bitxmap.com <http://www.bitxmap.com>

--
Mike Woods
mhwoods@...

Robert Ogburn

shells & pins https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B014YTPFT8/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_2_w

tool:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OMM4YUY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jon Titus, KZ1G <tituskz1g@...>

Radio-control aircraft enthusiasts use the same types of crimp connectors, so a local hobby store probably has male and female pins and a crimper.  The crimp tool linked to below should do the job and it won't kill your ham-project budget.

https://www.showmecables.com/d-sub-crimp-tool?gclid=CjwKCAjws8vaBRBFEiwAQfhs-BmOdBAvHw7fnPZd1Wnhm2dWCRCMJ8UI-yR39lF6crX_4uVqluOTJRoCSFcQAvD_BwE

I used a similar tool for my uBITX project.  For female crimp connectors that attach to 0.025" square posts on 0.10" centers, use the Jameco Electronics part #100766.  The small tabs crimp the metal wire, while the larger tabs crimp the outer insulation and provide a strong physical hold in case you pull too hard on a wire.  Jameco also sells the connector housings for from 2 to 36 contacts.
--
Jon Titus, KZ1G
Herriman, UT USA

Leonard

Here's a set of instructions for crimping the molex equivalent pins.

http://golddredgervideo.com/kc0wox/tools/molex.htm

Leonard

f1mqj

Robert Ogburn

To reposition wire/contact in berg/DuPont 2.54mm connectors so the colors are correct:

f1mqj

@leonard : i don’t grimp, i prefer solder (take care to jeep or small to get in the hole)
@robert thank you for the hint/tip completing my Link to item (it’s obvious but i ve not thinked to do it ;-)