Topics

KD6CEC code and Nextion displays, tuning skips steps #ubitx #radiuno

Glenn

Has anybody with this combination of Raduino noticed that the Encoder skips steps when tuning up or down.  ie the tuning is not in the nominated 100Hz steps but often skips 200-300Hz or more, unless the encoder is tuned VERY, VERY slowly.

I have tried several Encoders, but with the same result.   I "think" the Sketch uses polling to read the Encoder which may be the problem, but interested to hear if others have noticed this at all.

glenn vk3pe

I had an issue with encoders several years ago, in a PIC application.  I looked at the A/B outputs and noticed spikes on the square waves.  Adding two .001uF caps across the outputs to ground, cured the issue.  Maybe that will help?  Most likely you encoder is easy to get to...
Your mileage may vary,
Jim W0CHL

I have noticed this as well. For example when you set the step size to 50 Hz if you tune quite quickly it seems that the step-size
increases.

Are you sure that this isn't intentional ?  I see to recall Ian making a passing comment about variable rate tuning at some point.

Michael VE3WMB

P.S. I am really enjoying the ability to select the step size via touch screen in V2 of Ian's "Nextion" display code. This was a great addition.

I may have found another bug though. More on this later when I have had more of a chance to test it out.

Jack Purdum

I did this on the Forty-9er encoder (March, 2016, QST):

Inline image
The lines are often labeled CLK and DTA on the encoder.

Jack, W8TEE

On Friday, July 20, 2018, 7:53:53 AM EDT, Jim Reagan <jimreagans@...> wrote:

I had an issue with encoders several years ago, in a PIC application.  I looked at the A/B outputs and noticed spikes on the square waves.  Adding two .001uF caps across the outputs to ground, cured the issue.  Maybe that will help?  Most likely you encoder is easy to get to...
Your mileage may vary,
Jim W0CHL

Glenn

I am using normal tuning speed. Not fast tune.

I am quite aware of contact bounce and fitting capacitors etc.

The reason I ask, is to see if others using the CEC software with Nextion, are seeing a similar thing without having to fit any extra parts..  Ian's web pages don't mention any mods required that I can find.

glenn vk3pe