Topics

AB5N, Bob Nagy U-Tube Video

Kees T

Found this on the Internet, gives a real nice summary of the uBITX Transceiver. This thing is everywhere.

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l33S1ERz-tg

73 Kees K5BCQ

Mike aka KC2WVB <rb5363@...>

Yes, I saw the video too. He did a nice job on the review as well as perhaps a half of other reviews you can find on his channel.

Nobody is proficient at or cares about everything so this means something to perhaps only me and that is the carpentry skills on Bob's radio's enclosure were other than what I would aim for.
Mike
KC2WVB

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018, 5:42 PM Kees T <windy10605@...> wrote:
Found this on the Internet, gives a real nice summary of the uBITX Transceiver. This thing is everywhere.

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l33S1ERz-tg

73 Kees K5BCQ

Allard PE1NWL

On Tue, July 10, 2018 00:36, Mike aka KC2WVB wrote:

Nobody is proficient at or cares about everything so this means something
to perhaps only me and that is the carpentry skills on Bob's radio's
enclosure were other than what I would aim for.
I believe the message that he wanted to get across is that just about
anything can be used as an enclosure for this wonderful radio.

I once built one in a carton shoe box - no carpentry at all - works great!

73 Allard PE1NWL

Bill Cromwell

Hi Allard,

I made a new steel box for my uBitx. But my first project when I was about 13 was a V-O-M I built into a heavy paper cigar box. The radio will be better off and you will be happier if it is shielded and that means surrounded by metal. But we can tack some aluminum sheet inside that paper, wood, or plastic box where nobody can see it and that will work. The aluminum foil sold for kitchen use is awfully flimsy. I have had better service using the heavier aluminum pans that frozen foods like Lasagna or Mac n Cheese are packaged in. Easily shaped and sturdy enough to stay that way. Hint...I washed the food residue off them before I put them in my radios <sly grin>.

73,

Bill KU8H

--
bark less - wag more

Mike aka KC2WVB <rb5363@...>

Bill,

We were a bit different when we were boys presumably,  in the late 50's and early 60's. You loved electronics and I loved carpentry and never gave electronics more than a passing glance.

When I was 5 or 6 I tried to talk my grandpa into the two of us building an airplane but he turned the concept down for a later go. However I did build a boy size stage coach and later a small canal boat around the age of 11 or 12. So, carpentry and no electronics has been in my blood for a very long time and the only thing I like as well is the field I went into which is pure mathematics which I can bore the scrap out of most people if they allow me to start on the topic but I do find electronics a fun hobby none the less.

--
bark less - wag more

Bill Cromwell

Hi Mike,

Hams are in all walks of life and every one of us have divergent, other interests besides our professions - or how we earn our livings - and our ham radio hobby. We make some attempt at staying "on topic" in the forums and that tends to hide all those interesting other faces we all have. At the same time, those other faces are exactly what drags us off topic so often :) That is not all bad:)

73,

Bill KU8H