Topics

BITX QSO Afternoon/Evening, Sunday, July 8, 3PM & 7PM Local Time, 7277 kHz in North America, 7177 kHz elsewhere.

John P

BITX QSO Afternoon/Evening, Sunday, July 8, 3PM & 7PM Local Time, 7277 kHz in North America, 7177 kHz elsewhere.

Join us as we make contacts with our BitX-40s or uBitXs or anything else on 7.277 MHz in 40 meters!

This is a worldwide event for BitX40 (and other QRP) stations starting at 3PM and 7pm in each time zone. To participate, call CQ BitX on Sunday, starting at 3PM and/or 7PM your local time. The BitX QSO Night continues through the evening and conditions usually improve after sunset, so it is worthwhile to participate later in the evening.

Suggested Best Operating Practices:

Work at QRP power levels unless conditions require more power.
Call and listen for CQ BITX on the hour and every quarter hour.
It is helpful if you call CQ BITX with your callsign, name and location.
Repeat your callsign a number of times during your CQ BITX and during QSO's.
Start a QSO by confirming the callsign, location, name and signal report of the other operator.
Say the callsign, name and location of the other operator so others can hear.
If the frequency is busy, avoid long conversations.
After your initial QSO is complete, ask if there are any other stations who would like to contact.

Report your QSO's, discuss propagation, noise, signal reports, audio reports, antenna type, etc. in this thread.

This is an undirected, scheduled event.  The BITX QSO Night relies on you to call CQ BITX to initiate contacts with other stations, so warm up that final and transmit a few calls on Sunday evening.  Talk to you then!
--
John - WA2FZW

RCC WB5YYM

I retuned the antenna for higher in the band. I will try to make a few calls with the uBITX, this afternoon, on 7277.

RCC WB5YYM

Worked a couple closer high power stations (80 watts). Heard a station call but had weak signal. Still listening.

RCC WB5YYM

Band is pretty squirrely, (arkie slang), but still able to work N4DKD, KN4CCQ (QRO) and on the ubitx K4BBN, KD8WTB (weak) and AA4PG (extremely good sounding uBITX using 2.8 Nextion display). The band is still short with QSB, but maybe will lengthen out. Ya'll hop on and make some calls!

Jay - WS4JM

Nice Chat with Randy in AR, Heard KN4AIE in Chattanooga. Listening on 7.277
Jay WS4JM

allen west

I also had a nice chat with Randy in Ark.  and Marc in Md.  with stock uBitx and an inverted Vee.

On Jul 8, 2018, at 8:13 PM, Jay - WS4JM <ws4jm@...> wrote:

Nice Chat with Randy in AR, Heard KN4AIE in Chattanooga. Listening on 7.277
Jay WS4JM

Mark M

I listened this afternoon & evening but didn't hear anything here in AZ but noise, good old 40M summer static crashes etc. There are some guys on there now rag chewing at about S9 but I don't know where they are, they haven't identified since I've been listening.

Mark AA7TA

Same here down in Silicon Valley.  They were at it until 8:30.  I called a few times after but no luck.
I listened on and off the whole time but didn't hear any call signs either.

I've been having a rough time seeing if the TX side of my BITX40 works well enough to call it functional.
I'm using a Baofeng mic I modified.  On a nearby receiver I sound underwater, but I figure the front-end's
getting compressed pretty badly being so close.

- John
W1JDS

On 7/8/2018 8:04 PM, Mark M wrote:
I listened this afternoon & evening but didn't hear anything here in AZ but noise, good old 40M summer static crashes etc. There are some guys on there now rag chewing at about S9 but I don't know where they are, they haven't identified since I've been listening.

Mark    AA7TA

iz oos

If you sound underwater it might be the BFO is too close to the bandwidth of the filter. Check whether the opposite sideband is suppressed, if not move the BFO away 300-400hz.

On 7/8/2018 8:04 PM, Mark M wrote:
I listened this afternoon & evening but didn't hear anything here in AZ but noise, good old 40M summer static crashes etc. There are some guys on there now rag chewing at about S9 but I don't know where they are, they haven't identified since I've been listening.

Mark    AA7TA

Vic WA4THR

As delivered the BitX40 audio pass band is too low (muffled sounding) in the filter pass band range. A small adjustment will make it sound much better. Google "Improved BitX40 Audio" and see the VK3YE Youtube video about how to fix it.

=Vic=

V Zecchinelli

Gave it a try at 3PM and 7PM with nothing but noise in NW Vermont.  I could faintly hear talking but unable to make anything out.  No responses to CQ BitX.

73 Vince N1VIN

On 7/5/2018 6:53 AM, John P wrote:
[...]

Howard Fidel

I would be in favor of adding a frequency on 20 Meters. I have much better luck getting QSOs up there.
Howard

On 7/8/2018 8:04 PM, Mark M wrote:
I listened this afternoon & evening but didn't hear anything here in AZ but noise, good old 40M summer static crashes etc. There are some guys on there now rag chewing at about S9 but I don't know where they are, they haven't identified since I've been listening.

Mark    AA7TA

Thanks.  I have parts on hand.
That looks like an easy fix.

- John

On 7/9/2018 2:11 AM, Vic WA4THR via Groups.Io wrote:
As delivered the BitX40 audio pass band is too low (muffled sounding) in the filter pass band range. A small adjustment will make it sound much better. Google "Improved BitX40 Audio" and see the VK3YE Youtube video about how to fix it.

=Vic=
--

John Sutter
W1JDS CM87xi

John P

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 09:29 AM, Howard Fidel wrote:
I would be in favor of adding a frequency on 20 Meters
Then feel free to suggest one. 40 meters is the band of choice as this was started when the only game in town was the BitX-40. As I don't operate on 20, I have no idea of what might be a good frequency.

--
John - WA2FZW

Jay - WS4JM

How about trying 14.277 +/-? Easy to remember