Topics

TX frequency? of uBitx at CWL and CWU mode #ubitxcw

Don Meyerhoff

Michael,

We're you able to get a copy of 1.095 and if you did do you have a link for it? I'm running 1.094 but would like the CW shift feature in ubitx manager.

73

Don Meyerhoff
WA2SWX

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018, 8:53 AM Michael Babineau <mbabineau.ve3wmb@...> wrote:
Ian :

Yes I am currently using V1.094 beta with the Nextion 2.8" Display.

 I will upgrade to V1.095 and try that.

Cheers

Michael VE3WMB

Andy V. Borisenko

Ian, thanks for the file and the explanations!
all turned out well.
rw9rn(@)mail(dot)ru

Andy V. Borisenko

Thank you Ian!
Now I'm at work, I'll definitely try in the evening.
p.s. I measured the value of the DDS frequency and changed it in a file ubtx_si5351.ino v1.08. I found a way to do it without using devices.
now with the calibration I have no problems!

Ian Lee

Andy
I was able to observe your uBITX status very easily because of the .btx file (you sent)
I made my uBITX the same as your uBITX as shown below.
01.

02.This is the part you set for CWL, CWU

Everything is perfect. If it was just a mistake, my explanation was not enough.
CW Freq Adjust Value should be set to 0 (Default value)
Depending on your side tone, the frequency is automatically calculated.

Again, this is due to my lack of explanation.
CW Freq Adjust Value is for further fine tuning. In general, it should be set to 0.
I set CW Freq Adjust value (Fine tune) to 0 and wrote to uBITX.

03.

And I tested it as follows.
(It will look the same as your uBITX)

04.Change mode -> CWL

05.Changed mode -> CWL

Was the displayed frequency changed?
This is actually the frequency at which the radio waves are transmitted.

Attach the modified (600 -> 0) btx file.

You can modify it yourself, or you can follow the procedure below.
Connect -> Read From uBITX -> Load file -> Select attached file -> Write -> Reboot

Please let me know your personal e-mail address and I will tell you a few more things

Ian KD8CEC

Ian,
my .btx file

--
Best 73
KD8CEC / Ph.D ian lee

Andy V. Borisenko

Ian,
my .btx file

hirosmb <hirosmb@...>

I am very much looking forward to your blog, Akira-san.

Please kindly post the URL here at this BITX20 ML.

Many thanks in advance.

// hiro, JJ1FXF

2018/07/03 18:07、jj1epe@...のメール:

lan and everyone who replied me

I did not use uBITX manager.
But I have understood that using uBITX manager is essential to set  CW offset and for uBITX.

Now everything has been cleared by setting uBITX manager as follows
   - Enabled Adjust CW Frequency
   - Shift Display Frequency on CWL, CWU Mode

Frequency displayed by uBITX and my ICOM rig is completely same!!
Thank you for your support!!

I have started to promote uBITX in Japan.
English as the language is the one of the big wall for most of Japanese people.
Even for me, this TX -RX frequency issue was hard to find the solution.
So I will make the article on my blog in Japanese about this topics.

73!
Akira
JJ1EPE

Ian :

Yes I am currently using V1.094 beta with the Nextion 2.8" Display.

 I will upgrade to V1.095 and try that.

Cheers

Michael VE3WMB

Andy V. Borisenko

Ian,
at which address do you send a copy of the settings?

jj1epe@...

lan and everyone who replied me

I did not use uBITX manager.
But I have understood that using uBITX manager is essential to set  CW offset and for uBITX.

Now everything has been cleared by setting uBITX manager as follows
   - Enabled Adjust CW Frequency
   - Shift Display Frequency on CWL, CWU Mode

Frequency displayed by uBITX and my ICOM rig is completely same!!
Thank you for your support!!

I have started to promote uBITX in Japan.
English as the language is the one of the big wall for most of Japanese people.
Even for me, this TX -RX frequency issue was hard to find the solution.
So I will make the article on my blog in Japanese about this topics.

73!
Akira
JJ1EPE

Ian Lee

Micheal

Are you using 1.094 Beta with Nextion LCD?
Version 1.094 with Nextion LCD has not yet implemented this.
Implemented in version 1.095.  Version 1.095 is now ready for release.
(Supported from Version 1.03 on Character LCD)

I recently posted a video on youtube.
It is an introduction image of some functions of Version 1.095, but Shifted CW Frequency can be checked.

Please wathc the link below. From 1:30, you will see what you want.

Ian KD8CEC

Ian :

I did as you suggested within the uBITX Manager :

 - Enabled Adjust CW Frequency
 - Shift Display Frequency on CWL, CWU Mode

I encoded and wrote to the uBITX and then reset and I see no difference in operation.

Note that I am using your v1.094 beta with the Nextion Display.

With my main radio set to 7.050 Mhz (CWU) the uBITX must still be tuned to 7.049.300 Mhz (700 Hz Sidetone/Offset selected) CWU
in order for each Radio to hear the other, so the Display Frequency on the uBITX is still the RX frequency, not the TX Frequency.

Both radios should display 7.050 Mhz or very close to it.

Cheers

Michael VE3WMB

--
Best 73
KD8CEC / Ph.D ian lee

Ian Lee

Andy
I will check if you send me your uBITX backup file.
You can back up your uBITX settings to a file in uBITX Manager. Send it to me

Simply put, the order is as follows.
Connect -> Read from uBITX -> Decode -> Selected Options for CWL, CWU Shift -> Encode -> Write to uBITX -> Reset uBITX

I used this feature a few months ago, and I'll check it again.

Ian KD8CEC

I also do not have a difference. I did all the changes in uBitx manager.
+600Hz CWU, -600Hz CWL from the desired frequency.
v 1.08

--
Best 73
KD8CEC / Ph.D ian lee

Ian Lee

JJ1EPE

Maybe it is related to the side tone.
Check the side tone of ICOM Transceiver and the side tone of uBITX.
Set ' Shift Display Frequency on CWL, CWU Mode ' in uBITX Manager software.
Probably the error will be reduced.

Thanks
Ian KD8CEC

Hi!

Thank you for your advice and comment.

Firstly, I did not consider that frequency displayed on the commercial rigs is TX frequency even though frequency of uBitx is RX.

But I am still wondering why the difference of frequency between my ICOM transceiver and uBitx is 1.5Hz but not off set .
1.5KHz might be double of 700 or 800 Hz off set.

I think many uBitx user have been making the contact on CWL or CWU mode by uBitx.
So there is something I have not understood about offset of CW.
I would like to examine the cause of the frequency difference of 1.5KHz.

73!
Akira
JJ1EPE

--
Best 73
KD8CEC / Ph.D ian lee

Ian Lee

Glenn

The latest version is not supported, but can be downloaded from the link below.

It is also briefly described below.

After this Version 1.1, I will post a description of the uBITX Manager program.

Ian KD8CEC

Sorry if I'm missing something but is there a "user manual" for the Memory Manager? I've never used it before...

Thanks

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 9:04 PM, Ian Lee <kd8cec@...> wrote:
Michael

I agree with you opinion, yes There is not enough explanation for them :)
I liked it the first time I implemented this feature.
So I adopted it as a basic specification. That is, if no setting is made, 'TX' frequency is displayed unconditionally.
However, it is inconvenient for users who are familiar with the existing method.
So I decided to let the user choose by uBITX Manager.

Ian KD8CEC

Ian :

Thanks for the reply. I noticed that option in the uBITX Manager but I couldn't find any documentation on what I meant.
Now I know, so I will give it a try.  I am not sure that this will "fix" the issue in switching back and forth between CWU and CWL,
but I will recheck after I try with this option enabled.

What I have observed is  that the RX Frequency stays the same when you switch from CWU to CWL, but the TX frequency is changed, which should not
be the case.

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers

Michael VE3WMB

--
Best 73
KD8CEC / Ph.D ian lee

--
73 de Glenn VE3JAU
Thunder Bay, Ontario

--
Best 73
KD8CEC / Ph.D ian lee

Andy V. Borisenko

[...]

Glenn Anderson

[...]

jj1epe, michael and all

CW is a way to generate and transmit one frequency,
To hear the unmodulated frequency, we move the frequency a little in SSB(We call it Side tone)
In LSB, it is necessary to increase the frequency by Side tone, and in USB, it must be lowered by Side Tone.

If you want to display the actual frequency transmitted to the screen, selected the following in uBITX Manager.
 - Enabled Adjust CW Frequency
 - Shift Display Frequency on CWL, CWU Mode

Various opinions about CW frequency display method have been continued.
A few months ago I created the option 'Shift Display Frequency on CWL, CWU Mode' by OM's  opinion  in  this community group.

If you select this function, the LCD will show the frequency at which the radio will be transmitted.

Ian KD8CEC

Akira-san :

The uBITX display frequency in CWU/CWL is the RX frequency not the TX frequency. The norm in CW on most commercial rigs is to always display the TX frequency.
You can however set the RX offset. It seems that yours must be 1.5 Khz which is a lot. Typically it would be something in the range of 500 to 800 Hz.

There is a related issue which I have reported and that is that changing CW modes is "broken". When switching back and
forth between CWU/CWL modes the TX frequency changes and the RX frequency does not which is wrong. This means that
if you properly tune in a CW station (RX tone matches your offset) on CWU and switch to CWL the other station is no longer audible and
he can't hear you. It should be possible to switch back and forth between CWU and CWL and still maintain contact.

See message #51983 for more details.

Cheers

Michael VE3WMB

--