Topics

TX frequency? of uBitx at CWL and CWU mode #ubitxcw

jj1epe@...

Hi!

I would like to know whether the behavior of TX frequency of uBitx at CWL and CWU mode I experienced is normal on CECFW v1.08.

For instance,
When there is the CQ station on 7.0100MHz on my ICOM transceiver,  uBitx at CWL mode shows 7.0085MHz as RX frequency.
Then I transmit CW carrier on ubitx at the exact same RX frequency of uBitx.
CW carrier is observed not at 7.0100MHz but 7.0085MHz on my ICOM transceiver as RX frequency.

When there is the CQ station on 7.0100MHz on my ICOM transceiver,  uBitx at CWU mode shows 7.0100MHz as RX frequency.
Then I transmit CW carrier on ubitx at the exact same RX frequency of uBitx.
CW carrier is observed not at 7.0115MHz but 7.0100MHz on my ICOM transceiver as RX frequency.

This means that TX frequency is lower 1.5KHz at CWL mode and higher 1.5KHz at CWU mode than actual frequency.

Your comment would be much appreciated.

Akira,
JJ1EPE

iz oos

I usually use a Softrock Ensemble as the receiver for the Ubitx and other rigs. The CW TX in the Ubitx is 700hz off the actual frequency. I believe it was done by purpose although I would have rather preferred it indicated the actual frequency.

Il 01/lug/2018 07:43, <jj1epe@...> ha scritto:

[...]

The firmware is still the original for the ver. 3 Ubitx

Il 01/lug/2018 13:25, "iz oos" <and2oosiz2@...> ha scritto:

[...]

Akira-san :

The uBITX display frequency in CWU/CWL is the RX frequency not the TX frequency. The norm in CW on most commercial rigs is to always display the TX frequency.
You can however set the RX offset. It seems that yours must be 1.5 Khz which is a lot. Typically it would be something in the range of 500 to 800 Hz.

There is a related issue which I have reported and that is that changing CW modes is "broken". When switching back and
forth between CWU/CWL modes the TX frequency changes and the RX frequency does not which is wrong. This means that
if you properly tune in a CW station (RX tone matches your offset) on CWU and switch to CWL the other station is no longer audible and
he can't hear you. It should be possible to switch back and forth between CWU and CWL and still maintain contact.

See message #51983 for more details.

Cheers

Michael VE3WMB

Ian Lee

jj1epe, michael and all

CW is a way to generate and transmit one frequency,
To hear the unmodulated frequency, we move the frequency a little in SSB(We call it Side tone)
In LSB, it is necessary to increase the frequency by Side tone, and in USB, it must be lowered by Side Tone.

If you want to display the actual frequency transmitted to the screen, selected the following in uBITX Manager.
 - Enabled Adjust CW Frequency
 - Shift Display Frequency on CWL, CWU Mode

Various opinions about CW frequency display method have been continued.
A few months ago I created the option 'Shift Display Frequency on CWL, CWU Mode' by OM's  opinion  in  this community group.

If you select this function, the LCD will show the frequency at which the radio will be transmitted.

Ian KD8CEC

--
Best 73
KD8CEC / Ph.D ian lee

Ian :

Thanks for the reply. I noticed that option in the uBITX Manager but I couldn't find any documentation on what I meant.
Now I know, so I will give it a try.  I am not sure that this will "fix" the issue in switching back and forth between CWU and CWL,
but I will recheck after I try with this option enabled.

What I have observed is  that the RX Frequency stays the same when you switch from CWU to CWL, but the TX frequency is changed, which should not
be the case.

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers

Michael VE3WMB

Ian Lee

Michael

I agree with you opinion, yes There is not enough explanation for them :)
I liked it the first time I implemented this feature.
So I adopted it as a basic specification. That is, if no setting is made, 'TX' frequency is displayed unconditionally.
However, it is inconvenient for users who are familiar with the existing method.
So I decided to let the user choose by uBITX Manager.

Ian KD8CEC

Ian :

Thanks for the reply. I noticed that option in the uBITX Manager but I couldn't find any documentation on what I meant.
Now I know, so I will give it a try.  I am not sure that this will "fix" the issue in switching back and forth between CWU and CWL,
but I will recheck after I try with this option enabled.

What I have observed is  that the RX Frequency stays the same when you switch from CWU to CWL, but the TX frequency is changed, which should not
be the case.

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers

Michael VE3WMB

--
Best 73
KD8CEC / Ph.D ian lee
kd8cec@...
www.hamskey.com (my blog)

Glenn Anderson

Sorry if I'm missing something but is there a "user manual" for the Memory Manager? I've never used it before...

Thanks

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 9:04 PM, Ian Lee <kd8cec@...> wrote:
[...]

73 de Glenn VE3JAU
Thunder Bay, Ontario

jj1epe@...

Hi!

Thank you for your advice and comment.

Firstly, I did not consider that frequency displayed on the commercial rigs is TX frequency even though frequency of uBitx is RX.

But I am still wondering why the difference of frequency between my ICOM transceiver and uBitx is 1.5Hz but not off set .
1.5KHz might be double of 700 or 800 Hz off set.

I think many uBitx user have been making the contact on CWL or CWU mode by uBitx.
So there is something I have not understood about offset of CW.
I would like to examine the cause of the frequency difference of 1.5KHz.

73!
Akira
JJ1EPE

Ian :

I did as you suggested within the uBITX Manager :

 - Enabled Adjust CW Frequency
 - Shift Display Frequency on CWL, CWU Mode

I encoded and wrote to the uBITX and then reset and I see no difference in operation.

Note that I am using your v1.094 beta with the Nextion Display.

With my main radio set to 7.050 Mhz (CWU) the uBITX must still be tuned to 7.049.300 Mhz (700 Hz Sidetone/Offset selected) CWU
in order for each Radio to hear the other, so the Display Frequency on the uBITX is still the RX frequency, not the TX Frequency.

Both radios should display 7.050 Mhz or very close to it.

Cheers

Michael VE3WMB

Andy V. Borisenko

I also do not have a difference. I did all the changes in uBitx manager.
+600Hz CWU, -600Hz CWL from the desired frequency.
v 1.08

Ian Lee

Glenn

The latest version is not supported, but can be downloaded from the link below.

It is also briefly described below.

After this Version 1.1, I will post a description of the uBITX Manager program.

Ian KD8CEC

[...]

Maybe it is related to the side tone.
Check the side tone of ICOM Transceiver and the side tone of uBITX.
Set ' Shift Display Frequency on CWL, CWU Mode ' in uBITX Manager software.
Probably the error will be reduced.

Thanks
Ian KD8CEC

[...]

Andy
I will check if you send me your uBITX backup file.
You can back up your uBITX settings to a file in uBITX Manager. Send it to me

Simply put, the order is as follows.
Connect -> Read from uBITX -> Decode -> Selected Options for CWL, CWU Shift -> Encode -> Write to uBITX -> Reset uBITX

I used this feature a few months ago, and I'll check it again.

Ian KD8CEC

I also do not have a difference. I did all the changes in uBitx manager.
+600Hz CWU, -600Hz CWL from the desired frequency.
v 1.08

--
Best 73
KD8CEC / Ph.D ian lee
kd8cec@...
www.hamskey.com (my blog)

Ian Lee

Micheal

Are you using 1.094 Beta with Nextion LCD?
Version 1.094 with Nextion LCD has not yet implemented this.
Implemented in version 1.095.  Version 1.095 is now ready for release.
(Supported from Version 1.03 on Character LCD)

I recently posted a video on youtube.
It is an introduction image of some functions of Version 1.095, but Shifted CW Frequency can be checked.

Please wathc the link below. From 1:30, you will see what you want.

[...]

lan and everyone who replied me

I did not use uBITX manager.
But I have understood that using uBITX manager is essential to set  CW offset and for uBITX.

Now everything has been cleared by setting uBITX manager as follows
   - Enabled Adjust CW Frequency
   - Shift Display Frequency on CWL, CWU Mode

Frequency displayed by uBITX and my ICOM rig is completely same!!
Thank you for your support!!

I have started to promote uBITX in Japan.
English as the language is the one of the big wall for most of Japanese people.
Even for me, this TX -RX frequency issue was hard to find the solution.
So I will make the article on my blog in Japanese about this topics.

73!
Akira
JJ1EPE

Andy V. Borisenko

Ian,
at which address do you send a copy of the settings?

Ian :

Yes I am currently using V1.094 beta with the Nextion 2.8" Display.

 I will upgrade to V1.095 and try that.

Cheers

Michael VE3WMB

hirosmb <hirosmb@...>

I am very much looking forward to your blog, Akira-san.

Please kindly post the URL here at this BITX20 ML.

Many thanks in advance.

// hiro, JJ1FXF

2018/07/03 18:07、jj1epe@...のメール:

lan and everyone who replied me

I did not use uBITX manager.
But I have understood that using uBITX manager is essential to set  CW offset and for uBITX.

Now everything has been cleared by setting uBITX manager as follows
   - Enabled Adjust CW Frequency
   - Shift Display Frequency on CWL, CWU Mode

Frequency displayed by uBITX and my ICOM rig is completely same!!
Thank you for your support!!

I have started to promote uBITX in Japan.
English as the language is the one of the big wall for most of Japanese people.
Even for me, this TX -RX frequency issue was hard to find the solution.
So I will make the article on my blog in Japanese about this topics.

73!
Akira
JJ1EPE

Andy V. Borisenko