Topics

Anyone seen an SSB xmit causing the menu to pop up?

Gwen Patton

I was testing into a dummy load and noticed that when I whistled into the mike, or even spoke into it on higher frequencies, would cause the rig to react as if I had pressed the button on the encoder. It showed "Band Select >", and receive stopped. Pressing the encoder twice exited the menu normally. Is this RF getting into the switching transistor the encoder switch trips? How can I prevent this?

Gwen NG3P

brad martin

I too have seen this. I have yet to sort mine out and usually for me happens on an antenna and not the dummy load.

Brad

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 12:34 AM Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:
I was testing into a dummy load and noticed that when I whistled into the mike, or even spoke into it on higher frequencies, would cause the rig to react as if I had pressed the button on the encoder. It showed "Band Select >", and receive stopped. Pressing the encoder twice exited the menu normally. Is this RF getting into the switching transistor the encoder switch trips? How can I prevent this?

Gwen NG3P

MVS Sarma

Perhaps local radtion due to left over mismatch.
 It might be wiser to shield loose wires to/from audio amp /agc  by shielded wires and shield grounded on one side.
Also the power reaching to raduino could be passed thro a diode say 1N5401 and filtered by 100uF parallel 100nF.

All the best

Regards
MVS Sarma
 vu3zmv

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 10:05 AM, brad martin <emclinux@...> wrote:
I too have seen this. I have yet to sort mine out and usually for me happens on an antenna and not the dummy load.

Brad
On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 12:34 AM Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:
I was testing into a dummy load and noticed that when I whistled into the mike, or even spoke into it on higher frequencies, would cause the rig to react as if I had pressed the button on the encoder. It showed "Band Select >", and receive stopped. Pressing the encoder twice exited the menu normally. Is this RF getting into the switching transistor the encoder switch trips? How can I prevent this?

Gwen NG3P

Ashhar Farhan

check if your supply voltage is dropping on 'hellow'.

- f

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 11:43 AM, Mvs Sarma <mvssarma@...> wrote:
[...]

learnt a point Farhan jee.

Regards
MVS Sarma

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 12:06 PM, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:
[...]

M Garza <mgarza896@...>

Hi Gwen,
I had something similar on both SSB & CW.  Part of my problem was my 3amp laptop power supply was shutting down.  It reset the radio.  I got a 5 amp power supply to fix that issue.  After that, I had display issues, like you are describing.  I seemed to lock up the nano.  The screen would be on and the radio would transmit but the screen was blank and it would not go back to receive.  I fixed this by putting a clip on ferrite over all the wires coming from the Raduino.
Interestingly, it only happened on 20M.  That is where my radio seems to have the best power efficiency.  I was using a 50 ohm dummy load when I was having these issues.

Hope this helps.

Marco - KG5PRT

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018, 7:43 AM Mvs Sarma <mvssarma@...> wrote:
[...]

I'm running on a different battery than the jump box I was using before. It should have sufficient amperage. I'll test it with my bench supply and see if it does it under those conditions. It's odd, though, I was running my bench supply in current limit mode at 1.5 and 2 amps, and it didn't exhibit this behavior. It almost seemed like the RF was getting into the Nano and triggering the menu event for some reason. Very peculiar.

It behaves precisely as if I pushed the encoder knob in to operate the menu switch. I key the mike, speak loudly into it or whistle into it, and BAM, the radio goes into menu mode and receive stops. I can get out of it by pushing the knob twice to cycle band select mode, but it's annoying. I was just wondering if someone else spotted this behavior and added ferrites or some other solution. I'll keep fiddling with it.

Jack, W8TEE

Quite a while ago I was messing with some Nano code, but had my FT-1200 on, too. I grabbed the mike and answered a CQ and I remember the Nano display changing when I activated the mic. It turns out that the coax to the antenna switch passed within inches of the Nano. I put two ferrite beads on the coax and it didn't happen again. FWIW.

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, July 1, 2018, 11:15:07 AM EDT, Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:

[...]

Gwen,
I still suggest trying the ferrite on the Raduino wires.  Your issue will probably go away.

Does it happen on any frequency or just specific bands?

I doubt the power source will matter.  If you turn off the current limiting on your bench supply, it will probably do the same thing.

Just things to try.

Good luck,

Marco - KG5PRT

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018, 10:15 AM Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:
I'm running on a different battery than the jump box I was using before. It should have sufficient amperage. I'll test it with my bench supply and see if it does it under those conditions. It's odd, though, I was running my bench supply in current limit mode at 1.5 and 2 amps, and it didn't exhibit this behavior. It almost seemed like the RF was getting into the Nano and triggering the menu event for some reason. Very peculiar.

It behaves precisely as if I pushed the encoder knob in to operate the menu switch. I key the mike, speak loudly into it or whistle into it, and BAM, the radio goes into menu mode and receive stops. I can get out of it by pushing the knob twice to cycle band select mode, but it's annoying. I was just wondering if someone else spotted this behavior and added ferrites or some other solution. I'll keep fiddling with it.

KE0GYC

I have this happen, but typically with poor SWR.  That would make sense if it is an EMI issue, wouldn't it?

Gwen Patton

I put some small ferrite beads on some of the wires, and snap-on ferrites around all the Raduino wires, the audio wires, and the lead from the board to the antenna jack (I replaced the thin wires with a short piece of coax).

It worked. I no longer trigger the menu just by talking into the mike.

Thanks for the suggestions, they helped a lot!

Gwen, NG3P

M Garza <mgarza896@...>

Gwen,
Glad you got it worked out.