Topics

Known issues on uBITX r4 #ubitx

hirosmb@...

Hi, all.

I’m really new to uBITX and planning to place my order to hfsignals.com very soon.

Then please share its known hardware issues of uBITX r4 that I need to modify or solder.

Thanks in advance and hope to QSO with my uBITX soon.

// hiro, JJ1FXF

Jack, W8TEE

Most of the mods that have been made are summarized at: ubitx.net

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, June 28, 2018, 11:31:43 PM EDT, <hirosmb@...> wrote:

Hi, all.

I’m really new to uBITX and planning to place my order to hfsignals.com very soon.

Then please share its known hardware issues of uBITX r4 that I need to modify or solder.

Thanks in advance and hope to QSO with my uBITX soon.

// hiro, JJ1FXF

hirosmb@...

Jack,

Thanks for ur quick reply.

I read some articles of mods, but couldn’t recognize which are necessary mods for uBITX r4 board.

Does the r4 board still need to be fixed for the distortion issue?

// hiro

2018/06/29 12:38、Jack Purdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum@...>のメール:

Most of the mods that have been made are summarized at: ubitx.net

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, June 28, 2018, 11:31:43 PM EDT, <hirosmb@...> wrote:

Hi, all.

I’m really new to uBITX and planning to place my order to hfsignals.com very soon.

Then please share its known hardware issues of uBITX r4 that I need to modify or solder.

Thanks in advance and hope to QSO with my uBITX soon.

// hiro, JJ1FXF

MVS Sarma

There are few members who reported  the good functioning of Audio amplifier.
 we need to check whether the element is wrong in design or some pieces went  out with distorted output.

Regards
MVS Sarma

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 9:44 AM, hirosmb JAZZ <hirosmb@...> wrote:
Jack,

Thanks for ur quick reply.

I read some articles of mods, but couldn’t recognize which are necessary mods for uBITX r4 board.

Does the r4 board still need to be fixed for the distortion issue?

// hiro

2018/06/29 12:38、Jack Purdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum@...>のメール:

Most of the mods that have been made are summarized at: ubitx.net

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, June 28, 2018, 11:31:43 PM EDT, <hirosmb@...> wrote:

Hi, all.

I’m really new to uBITX and planning to place my order to hfsignals.com very soon.

Then please share its known hardware issues of uBITX r4 that I need to modify or solder.

Thanks in advance and hope to QSO with my uBITX soon.

// hiro, JJ1FXF

hirosmb JAZZ <hirosmb@...>

IC. I’ll pay my attention to this distorted audio issue for a while.

Any other known hardware problems on uBITX r4, the latest board?

Many thanks, MVS.

// hiro

2018/06/29 13:35、Mvs Sarma <mvssarma@...>のメール:

[...]

Andy V. Borisenko

I have  v4.
big problems with sound.
if you bypass the built-in audio amplifier, then you can use it.

hirosmb JAZZ <hirosmb@...>

Do all of the v4 have this distortion issue? Or  only for the certain lots?

Thanks, Andy.

Ur videos helped me to understand what the distortion issue is like.

// hiro, JJ1FXF

2018/06/29 14:47、Andy V. Borisenko via Groups.Io <rw9rn@...>のメール:

I have  v4.
big problems with sound.
if you bypass the built-in audio amplifier, then you can use it.

Andy V. Borisenko

Hiro
if necessary, I can shoot the video with an external (bypassing the built-in) audio amplifier.
but believe me, there is no problem with audio.

hirosmb JAZZ <hirosmb@...>

Very much appreciated, Andy.

I’d like to compare its before/after.

What do u mean by “no problem of audio”?

Do u mean to say the synchronized noise is the spec of uBITX?

// hiro, JJ1FXF

2018/06/29 15:03、Andy V. Borisenko via Groups.Io <rw9rn@...>のメール:

Hiro
if necessary, I can shoot the video with an external (bypassing the built-in) audio amplifier.
but believe me, there is no problem with audio.

Andy V. Borisenko

I want to say that synchronized noise is a problem with an audio amplifier  v4.
tonight I will try to make a video where the built-in audio amplifier is turned off, and the sound goes through an external amplifier.

Andy V. Borisenko

in the message #52671 solution a problem:
"gentlemen, the question is closed.
I connected the cheapest computer speakers with a built-in amplifier and sent a signal to them bypassing the amplifier uBitx.
I got a good audio.
and "A re-setting of the BFO should fix this" did not have to do with it.
You just need not use the audio amplifier in uBitx. he is no good at all.
for me it's a fact!I previously wrote about problems with the audio amplifier v4.
I will build and instal in uBitx a wonderful audio filter and audio amplifier QCX from QRP-Labs.
best regards to all!
Andy V. Borisenko RW9RN"
#52684
"Farhan has an engineering error in the audio amplifier. I do not speak English well enough to explain this in detail. I will say simply: do not use the built-in amplifier in this form. It's easier and cheaper to signal bypass, to an external audio amplifier. this can be done by sending a signal from the yellow (signal) through the condenser 47-100 microfarad and green (ground), to an external audio amplifier."

hirosmb JAZZ <hirosmb@...>

Many, many thanks for ur comments, Andy.

Now I understand that either a cheap speaker or bypassing built-in amp is the solution of the synchronized noise issue.

Since this fix isn’t hard one for me, now I’m placing my order sooner.

Again, thanks, Andy.

// hiro, JJ1FXF

2018/06/29 15:49、Andy V. Borisenko via Groups.Io <rw9rn@...>のメール:

[...]

First connect up the board and get it working in stock condition and when all is
well and running look for mods that you may want to try.

I have posted the audio distortion fix just now. Its very simple to do.

Raj

At 29-06-18, you wrote:
Hi, all.

Im really new to uBITX and planning to place my order to hfsignals.com very soon.

Then please share its known hardware issues of uBITX r4 that I need to modify or solder.

Thanks in advance and hope to QSO with my uBITX soon.

// hiro, JJ1FXF

hirosmb JAZZ <hirosmb@...>

Yes, you are right, Raj.

I’ll set up the uBITX as it comes at first.

My only concern was if I need to solder or mod at my first setting-up bcoz v4 is rather new design, I’ll easily get confused what I do is ok or not.

Thanks for ur advice, Raj.

// hiro, JJ1FXF

At 29-06-18, you wrote:
Hi, all.

I’m really new to uBITX and planning to place my order to hfsignals.com very soon.

Then please share its known hardware issues of uBITX r4 that I need to modify or solder.

Thanks in advance and hope to QSO with my uBITX soon.

// hiro, JJ1FXF

Jack, W8TEE

It seems there are still people who complain about the audio. Since most of the mods can be done post-construction, I'd put it together and judge for yourself. It's not an issue for me as the JackAl board has its own audio amp.

Jack, W8TEE

On Friday, June 29, 2018, 12:14:56 AM EDT, hirosmb JAZZ <hirosmb@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your comments.

I am not complaining at all.

I just wanted to know what mods I need to do to have better ubitx functionalities.

I appreciate a lot for the engineers who designed this wonderful hardware which I wanted but I could not design by myself.

I agree with you that the audio issue isn’t a problem for myself, too.

Anyway, thank you for ur reply. I’ll be visiting the ubitx.net to find nice mods to enjoy modifying my ubitx.

Thanks a lot, Jack.

// hiro, JJ1FXF

2018/06/29 21:28、Jack Purdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum@...>のメール:

[...]

Hiro, special for you
sound bypassing the built-in amplifier v.4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsB6_HeeToc&feature=youtu.be

hirosmb JAZZ <hirosmb@...>

Andy,

Tons of thanks to you.

ARIGATO!

// hiro, JJ1FXF

2018/06/29 22:38、Andy V. Borisenko via Groups.Io <rw9rn@...>のメール:

Hiro, special for you
sound bypassing the built-in amplifier v.4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsB6_HeeToc&feature=youtu.be

hirosmb JAZZ <hirosmb@...>

WONDERFUL!!

This is the mod I certainly will do at first after setting up my ubitx.

Again, many thanks, Andy.

// hiro, JJ1FXF

2018/06/29 22:45、hirosmb JAZZ <hirosmb@...>のメール:

Andy,

Tons of thanks to you.

ARIGATO!

// hiro, JJ1FXF

2018/06/29 22:38、Andy V. Borisenko via Groups.Io <rw9rn@...>のメール:

Hiro, special for you
sound bypassing the built-in amplifier v.4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsB6_HeeToc&feature=youtu.be

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

I have V3 with a socketed audio chip labeled as Feb 2018. It worked right out of the box - as advertised. I have not had to make *any* mods at all. I do expect to install the CEC software but that is only to get some options I would like to have for CW. I am already using it for CW. I do not have distirtion, I can tune in SSB and AM stations and they are clear. Lucky me?

Wait until you have actually used your radio to decide if you 'need' mods. Most of the mods I see described are optional and only for the owners perefernces - like my plans to install the CEC software. There will be no hardware changes to mine.

73,

Bill KU8H

--
bark less - wag more