Topics

#ubitx safely putting on tight tuning knob #ubitx

JOHN CRONHELM <johncronhelm@...>

The knob without set screw is very difficult to push on the encoder.i am worried about pushing too hard in case I damage the encoder. Can anyone give me advice.
Many thanks,
John Vo1jcc.

Latham, Chip

I think there is something wrong (possibly) with the encoder switch. Mine is not that hard to push maybe 10 ounces of force.
You can get another encoder or what I would do and am planing is to do is just not use that switch and simply replace it with a panel switch. I end up changing frequency when pushing mine and its making me nutz. N5FJK Chip

Rob Bleumer

Ls
My solutio  for the fragil tuning knob:
Put a push switch parallel to the switch of te decoder (Enter) and velten beneath the tuning knob.
Than t doesnot change the frequency if touched.
Much easyer to work with.

Jack, W8TEE

We grappled with the same tuning issue, especially since we were using an encoder push to change the tuning increment. Our experience is that once the rig is "set up", the most common actions are tuning and changing the frequency increment. We've added a second encoder to handle most of the "set up" duties where needed (e.g., setting WPM for the keyer, setting tuning skirts, etc.). However, we came up with what we call ALS Tuning. When the main tuning encoder is being used (e.g., Tuning State), the second encoder automatically has a tuning increment which is 1/10 of the main tuning increment. (The user could change this ration if they wanted to.) So, if the main increment is 1KHz, the ALS Tuning increment is 100Hz. This allows the user to tune reasonably fast across the band, but fine-tune when they approach the desired frequency, but without any kind of button push.  The really nice thing about ALS is that you don't have to "reset" the increment each time you make a large move in frequency. Some approaches use presses on the encoder to "cycle back" to the original encoder value. The code to do this is really simple.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, June 27, 2018, 1:29:01 PM EDT, Rob Bleumer <Bleumer@...> wrote:

Ls
My solutio  for the fragil tuning knob:
Put a push switch parallel to the switch of te decoder (Enter) and velten beneath the tuning knob.
Than t doesnot change the frequency if touched.
Much easyer to work with.

PeteWK8S

Whose firmware is using this "ALS" Tuning ? Or are you referring to some of your past projects vs. the uBITX?

Pete WK8S

Jack, W8TEE

It's brand new...never used it before, and it is part of the JackAl board software we're working on. However, almost anyone with just a modicum of programming experience and two encoders could implement it into their code. It's really nice to use! I think Ian has packed the Nano to the gills, so there may not be room in his code for it.

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, June 28, 2018, 9:51:28 AM EDT, PeteWK8S <pmeier@...> wrote:

Whose firmware is using this "ALS" Tuning ? Or are you referring to some of your past projects vs. the uBITX?

Pete WK8S

PeteWK8S

Thanks for the quick reply.

Where can can I read more about the JachAI project?

Pete WK8S

Jack, W8TEE

 About all we have right now is the attached feature set list. The assembly manual is probably a month away. We will be selling the PCB with all SMD's in place.

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, June 28, 2018, 12:25:29 PM EDT, PeteWK8S <pmeier@...> wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply.

Where can can I read more about the JachAI project?

Pete WK8S

PeteWK8S

Ambitious. Good luck with the development. I'll be watching with great interest. Thanks for sharing.

Pete WK8S

Rick Price

Hi Jack,
Patiently waiting for the JACKAL board to be released, have the space, display, teensy, and audio board,  but just wondering if you have included CAT in your new software.  Seems I've gotten hooked a bit on FT8 and the use of CAT for switching between bands and initiating transmit at the proper time.  I did not see it or missed it in the list of features you released.  MSG#53233  JackAL V01 Features.doc

Rick
KN4AIE

Jack, W8TEE

The first release will not have the CAT, but we'd guess it will take someone about an afternoon to move the existing CATs code over. There is plenty of free memory and pins to do it. We're just making sure all of the other features work first. Trust me, we want to release it as badly as you do, but we had a noise issue and it took us a while to figure it out. It will be worth the wait.

Jack, W8TEE