Topics

Schematic . . . What Schematic . . mine?

Russ KG0BK

As I worked on my uBitx I made changes . . .duh . . doesn't everybody?
As I progressed I found I forgot what I had hooked to what.
I used cardboard for my front panel to help make a template for control placement.
Easy to cut new holes or move the placement.
Forgot to document what I had wired to what and where.
Now I am wanting to install a push button to be able to read both board voltage and PA voltage.
Also adding a analog watt meter to the mix.
First picture shows work so far and has room to add the above controls.
All fine and well. . . except . . . I didn't make a schematic of what I had already wired.
2nd pic shows the other side with wiring.
As this was a proto-type I left most wires too long as to make easy mods. That's fine.
BUT I didn't document what I had already wired.
Now I have to retrace wiring to find out where to hook up new contriols.
Moral of story . . . Make notes and a schematic.
Sure will help id something becomes . . . disconnected.

Jon Titus, KZ1G <tituskz1g@...>

Suggestion:  It's a good idea for us to keep lab/project notes and info in a spiral-bound notebook.  Then we have everything we need and in chronological order.  Tape in program code, which we should label with a time, date, and version number.  Logic-analyzer and scope traces also help document what we did and the results we saw.  A separate folder for a project also helps keep loose papers in one place.
--
Jon Titus, KZ1G
Herriman, UT USA

Russ KG0BK

Ty Jon. That's about what I was saying.
I'm I retired Broadcast Engineer an never kept a notepad (except hidden)
Job security I guess. hi hi
Just wanted those that were making mods to know.
When some quits working. . . how do i get through this rats net to fond it.
AGN TY
73

Ashhar Farhan

I always work with a lab notebook. Each time something is finished (as a module or rig), i pull out the notebook, draw out the circuit and note the readings and the performance. Then, move on. It is a habit worth cultivating. In six month time you will forget what you built and why. Building without a log book is filling a leaky bucket.

- f

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 8:14 AM, <russkg0bk@...> wrote:
Ty Jon. That's about what I was saying.
I'm I retired Broadcast Engineer an never kept a notepad (except hidden)
Job security I guess. hi hi
Just wanted those that were making mods to know.
When some quits working. . . how do i get through this rats net to fond it.
AGN TY
73

Vince Vielhaber

I do the same thing. Mainly because I figure I won't remember it tomorrow!

Vince.

<mailto:@Russ_KG0BK>> wrote:

Ty Jon. That's about what I was saying.
I'm I retired Broadcast Engineer an never kept a notepad (except hidden)
Job security I guess. hi hi
Just wanted those that were making mods to know.
When some quits working. . . how do i get through this rats net to
fond it.
AGN TY
73

William Cullison

i think I need to start a notebook. I'll order parts quite often from Chaina and by the time I have my parts I can't remember what they were ordered. At least I'm collecting a good supply of parts.

73 Bill WA8VIH/4

<mailto:russkg0bk@...>> wrote:

    Ty Jon. That's about what I was saying.
    I'm I retired Broadcast Engineer an never kept a notepad (except hidden)
    Job security I guess. hi hi
    Just wanted those that were making mods to know.
    When some quits working. . . how do i get through this rats net to
    fond it.
    AGN TY

  Michigan VHF Corp.   http://www.nobucks.net/   http://www.CDupe.com/
                          http://www.metalworkingfun.com

Russ KG0BK

TNX Bill and I think Vince did the same thing.
I received some boards from China yesterday that I forgot I'd ordered.
I had to go to Paypal to see what 2 of them were.
Looked liked great boards, but I didn't know what they were. Looked like maybe an amp of some sort..
Yea they were . .  Dynamic mic preamps.
Wired one up to the uBitx and got great audio.
And yes . . . I did make a notation in my notes.
Like they say . . . War is hell . . .so is getting older . . .  HI HI
73 all

Russ KG0BK

TNX Ashhar . . . Maybe include that in the new instructions?  hihi
Love your work!!!!
Best 73

Doug W

now if I could just remember where I left my damn notebook...
--
www.bitxmap.com