Topics

Raduino consumption #ubitx #radiuno

f1mqj

Hi,
new to uBitx, I've a problem already shown on some thread but more than a plaster on the wound I would like to understand the problem and reduce it.
My 7805 get very hot after few minuts (already seen on threads), looking at current consumtion i found about 0.35A, with 12V input, 5V output that makes 7x0.35 = 2.5W so heat production
My problem is also : 0.35A consumption in receive is not very fine for QRP rig and small battery life
But when i look at datasheet of what is powered, I don't understand where come this great current :
- Led backlight : about 25mA on 5V (measurment and datasheet), 1602 logic : 35-40mA (datasheet)

-Sis5351A : 22-45mA (datasheet)

-FT232 (part of the nano which produce 3.3V for Sis5351A from 5V) : 15mA (i assume + 3.3V consumption) -> 60mA

- so that would mean that the nano board asks at least (assuming max consumption for other parts...) 350-65-45-60 = 180mA, looks a lot, near the PIC max rating (200mA)
Looking at the QCX which use the same screen and same PIC (not on a nano board) comsumption is given to 180mA (half less)

My questions :
Q1 : do you have the same current consumption ? (especially interested by answers with genuine raduino but other firmware)
Q2A : what could be the source of this problem ? (perhaps programming without using power consumption reduction)
Q2B : what could be the means to reduce this consumption ?

if the problem is due to some software features (CAT, ...) it could be nice to disable them to reduce consumption (TMHO the main goal of a QRP is not to work with CAT but on the field with small battery), the "only" usage of Radiuno processor might be when changing frequency or some parameter, staying on a frequency receiving and transmitting might not need any processor cycles  (oups i missed the PTT and CW is processor driven, but it's still true in receiving -PTT could be transfered out of processor drive, but we need to have outputs TXA-B-C remain to proper value)

PS : Some tips are used on QCX to reduce 7805 problem i plan to try them : Powering Backlight directly from 12V with calculated resistor (240ohms), powering Sis5351A directly from 5V with 2 diodes in serial to lower voltage (avoiding using voltage tranverter like ft232, perhaps a consumption reduction by putting it in low power mode ?)

Thank's in advance for answer
73 - Remi - F1MQJ

f1mqj

Some additional data (sorry it's in french) about consumption trials on arduino boards (genuine and chinese) : https://www.carnetdumaker.net/articles/test-comparatif-de-la-consommation-electrique-vide-de-diverses-cartes-arduino-et-compatible/#les-cartes-arduino-compatibles-chinoises
spreadsheet file on https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2_QaX8F73zyTkh2Sms5a2VoX3M/view
it shows nano consumes 80-100mA (about half the one in the Raduino)

Don, ND6T

Hello Remi,

I measure 168 ma. for my entire uBITX on idle receive (low volume, no input signal, 13.8 volt source). Since I use a 7808 as a pre-regulator my 7805 is cool enough to pinch and hold, the additional heat being soaked up by the cabinet where I mounted the 7808. That keeps heat off of the Raduino and also provides a modicum of additional filtering. I also decrease the LED backlighting on my display which probably helps a bit.
Isolate the loads and check your current. There is something wrong if you measure 350 ma at under 14 volts. With the power off, unplug the Raduino, re-apply power and measure the current. If the drain is coming from the Raduino then disconnect power again and just unplug the display. Then apply power and measure again. Take your time and measure resistances until you see something amiss. Check to see if something is touching mechanically where it should not. Check under the boards. Look for a tiny wire or solder ball. Make sure that you are, indeed, in receive mode. Please let us know what you found. 73, Don

Tom, wb6b

Here is the Google Translate URL for the article.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.carnetdumaker.net%2Farticles%2Ftest-comparatif-de-la-consommation-electrique-vide-de-diverses-cartes-arduino-et-compatible%2F%23les-cartes-arduino-compatibles-chinoises&edit-text=

Tom, wb6b

Lawrence Macionski <am_fm_radio@...>

Remi F1MQJ-

If power consumption is a problem, there are regulator boards that can be had/made that use a torrid to buck-boost the voltage. Much higher in efficiency than a 7805. I have heard a claim of 95%.  The circuit is basically an oscillator at the input voltage that the oscillators' output is rectified/filtered to create a new voltage output.

#2. disable the back-light of the display. Or the entire display when not looking at it. It is only an output and not interactive except to provide information. You should be able to tune around without it for short periods of time. DPDT Center off switch - display- off-  display with back light.

#3. QRP - by definition is transmitting LOW power. Not Low power consumption of the transceiver.  Comparing a 1950's 100 watt station (tubes) to a modern rig today, certainly uses less power at the mains. Likewise true low consumption minimalist transceivers are usually 1 band, CW only- crystal controlled.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QRP_operation

#4. Like you, I appreciate QRP operation and years ago used a K1SWL 40M QRP rig, that worked nicely in my sleeping bag as, frequency read out was in CW, it's only mode. My mess kit weighed more than that rig, headphones and key. True backpacker's rig. No longer made, also came in a 30 meter version.

#5. Perhaps a Radunio with cw audio readout will be instituted by others.  "PROGRAMMING ARDUINO" by Simon Mark ISBN 978-0-07-178422-1 has information on a CW sketch, albeit it converts ASCII to a flashing LED. But a good basis. Further application would be visually impaired hams. It could be a Raduino without the display- a Plug in.. or a variant of #2 above.

Regards from Kansas,
Larry W8LM

Jerry Gaffke

If I just power up my raduino it draws about 100ma.
nothing else connected, the display works, backlight is on.

Without the display, more like 60ma.  Most of that is probably backlight.

f1mqj

tnx don, larry, jerry
My raduino alone (now, it was more yesterday) consume 230mA on a 12V battery

Jerry Gaffke

Unplug the display.
Then how much does the main Raduino board draw?
I measured mine (crudely though, at the bottom end of my power supply's ammeter) at 60ma.

Verify that the voltage out of the LM7805 is 5 volts.

Is something other than the LM7805 also getting hot?

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 09:48 am, f1mqj wrote:
My raduino alone (now, it was more yesterday) consume 230mA on a 12V battery

Don, ND6T

Remi,

OK, I just did the same test. Brand new, just out of the box, 12.5 volt source. I get 61.5 milliamps. De-power. Unplug the display. I get 40.8 milliamps when repowered. -Don

Jerry Gaffke

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 11:09 am, Don, ND6T wrote:
OK, I just did the same test. Brand new, just out of the box, 12.5 volt source. I get 61.5 milliamps. De-power. Unplug the display. I get 40.8 milliamps when repowered. -Don

Jerry Gaffke

I repeated the test using my highly accurate Harbor Freight meter.  ;-)
Not the needle on my old linear power supply.
My figures now agree with Don's measurements to within a couple ma.

Voltage should not affect the current draw by much at all.
Should be the same current with 8v as it is at 15v into the Raduino, within a couple ma.

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 11:09 am, Don, ND6T wrote:
OK, I just did the same test. Brand new, just out of the box, 12.5 volt source. I get 61.5 milliamps. De-power. Unplug the display. I get 40.8 milliamps when repowered. -Don

f1mqj

Don, Jerry, thank you for trials and excanges,
unpluging the display (after power off Of course) i got still 210mA
don i assume you have ashan genuine firmware, do you have v3 or v4 board (i’ve not seen difference on Raduino board)
3 more power consomption than your’s i might have a problem or a very bad nano board
I’l Check voltage after diner, and Also put the firmware inside another  nano board i have (not easy to Check the nano board on  the raduino because There us a lot Of solders to remove)

Don, ND6T

Remi, this is the new V4 board and I am pleased to report that the Nano is now socketed . Without removing anything soldered, with the display still not connected, I measure 1,590 ohms from the +5 output of the 7805 to ground reference (the 7805 tab). Both polarities, indicating that my ohmmeter has low enough applied voltage not to cause any junctions to conduct. Did you measure to see if the +5 volts was actually what was expected? -Don

f1mqj

Don,
Ohmmeter is not signifiant (which seems normal): 165K on 2M, 20K on 200Kohms, 2.59K on 20K, 640ohms on 2K,
The 7805 output is 4.79V
Don could you send me a pic to see how the nano socket is mounted to allow the display board to be put onto it ? perhaps longer display connector
-remi

Don, ND6T

Remi,
Will do when I get some time. Meanwhile, the Nano is inverted, the USB connector on the display side. The headers pins on the Nano are on the USB connector side of the board. That maintains the previous orientation while moving it to the other side of the board. -Don

Michael Shreeve

I put my own Nano socket on mine. Will measure but I've heard the Display is the culprit. Lots of current. Looking forward to V4 videos on YouTube showing various things, like pop or not, cw opp, and sound. So far there is one video on my playlist V4 and the guy has a speaker which looks like one that is meant to have an amplifier, and he says it has not good sound, just added to my playlist . Its my V2 playlist, V1 has 200 videos which is the maximum YouTube allows. Link to Playlist 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhQkF18Vpho&list=PLxzZgQElG0cGsf5_Qrx-bhIs8O4o51aRJ

--
Michael Shreeve N6GRG

f1mqj

It seems to be a problem with my raduino board (or nano but as it's soldered, its hard to test further), i'm going to ask for warranty to get raduino replacment, does someone know how i can ask that ? (teamhfsigs@..., paypal, ...)
73 - Remi - F1MQJ

f1mqj

Thanks Don your description is fine, i understand what have been made
do you know what serial board is under the nano ? (FT232, PL2303, CH340 ?) (with the new mount it's probably more easy to see than on solders'one)
(for what i've seen it might be FT232, but nano boards exists with thes 3 chips, if i plan to exchange nano board, i 'll try the same)
73 - Remi

Vince Vielhaber

It's the CH340.

Vince - K8ZW.