Topics

experience with Sunil VU3SUA's enclosures #ubitx

Mike KK7ER

My young son got an Elenco FM radio kit for Christmas.  We built it together and now he is hooked.  He is studying for his technician license.
He has a birthday coming up so a few weeks back, I ordered a uBitX and one of Sunil Lakhani's cases.
The uBitX came in about a week.  Despite my credit card being charged immediately, I never received any acknowledgment of the case order.  I have tried to contact Sunil through several different channels but have gotten no response.  There were 12 of the cases in stock at the time of the order.  I am wondering if I should dispute the credit card charge or keep waiting.  What has been the experience of people in this group who have ordered cases from Sunil?  Has he come through?  What was time from order to delivery (in the US)?  Did you have trouble with communication about your order?

Thanks and 73,
Mike KK7ER

WA9PWR

I ordered one 4/6/2018 and received it in I think very roughly a month.
73, Bill WA9PWR

Kevin Luxford

Sunil has a list of countries to which he can send goods via DHL.  If your country is not on the list, you will have to receive your order via India Post.  This can take four weeks or more (to Australia).  I have found Sunil responsive to emails.  I acknowledge that my experiences may not be similar to yours, but apart from the lack of tracking information from India Post, and the long time it takes to get stuff via their service, I have so far found everything has got here in an undamaged state.

vy 73
Kevin VK3DAP / ZL2DAP

David Wilcox

I have ordered twice and received the cases in each order but never had any email letting me know it was coming.  It took about a month to get to Michigan.

Dave K8WPE

On Jun 22, 2018, at 12:17 AM, Mike KK7ER <groupio@...> wrote:

[...]

scott77488@yahoo.com

A week after I ordered my case with DHL shipping, I contacted Sunil to find out when I could expect the case. He told me that it had not shipped. At five weeks, I emailed him again and he said it had gone out that day. I received it 6 weeks after I ordered. I was not so concerned as I did not have the time to build up to that point. Sunil responded to my emails and I received my kit. The goodies that come with it are quite nice. I would suggest a bit more patience. I have no qualms about ordering from him again.
AF5RX Scott.

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 12:53 AM, WA9PWR
<bill@...> wrote:
I ordered one 4/6/2018 and received it in I think very roughly a month.
73, Bill WA9PWR

hotrod541@...

I ordered mine and it took about six week to arrive.  I received no prior notice from Sunil about the delivery, but did receive notice from DHL when it was shipped.  The case is quite nice and well worth the wait. It really makes a nice looking radio.
73
Buddy KJ4ZSI

Doug W

If you don't get the case in time for his birthday the radio will work fine wired up without any enclosure.

--
www.bitxmap.com

Mike aka KC2WVB <rb5363@...>

I agree, my case arrived in 3 and 1/2 weeks as per ordered.  Nice enclosure too and with pots and etc that match the case....

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018, 5:19 AM Kevin Luxford <kbgluxford@...> wrote:
Sunil has a list of countries to which he can send goods via DHL.  If
your country is not on the list, you will have to receive your order via
India Post.  This can take four weeks or more (to Australia).  I have
found Sunil responsive to emails.  I acknowledge that my experiences may
not be similar to yours, but apart from the lack of tracking information
from India Post, and the long time it takes to get stuff via their
service, I have so far found everything has got here in an undamaged state.

vy 73
Kevin VK3DAP / ZL2DAP

Mike aka KC2WVB <rb5363@...>

I paid for my case from Sunil through a Discover card and honestly can't remember if they sent a confirmation that the order was created. I tried to look it up in my gmail history but my history self deleted whatever might have been there.
None the less my case arrived about 3 and 1/2 weeks after the order was placed and it was well worth the wait. Its very, very nice. I would try an email or wait and see. After all we are not talking about a lot of dough for the case and I would not want to chance not getting it.

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018, 12:17 AM Mike KK7ER <groupio@...> wrote:
[...]

Ken Held KF7DUR

I paid extra for DHL and the case took less then 6 weeks to arrive.
Has anyone else had a problem with the LCD display not fitting properly in the front cutout. Mine is way off, the LCD would need to move up and to the right (by one pin) for a proper fit.
I'm not very impressed with this case.

RICHARD

My case has all kinds of problems.  First the holes for the large feet are on the wrong end. The extra boards for the mike and headphones will not clear the display board. The cabinet is so thick with paint the front and rear panels have to be sanded to get a bare metal ground.  The extra boards and the rear panel are not required for me as I do not work digital modes, and probably raised the cost of the cabinet. All the extra controls and hardware will not work for me as I already have an on/off switch on the volume control.  More time should have been spent in the basic cabinet design and less on useless extras.  Also an aluminum cabinet would have been nice, It took 2 months to receive after order.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I paid extra for DHL and the case took less then 6 weeks to arrive.
Has anyone else had a problem with the LCD display not fitting properly in the front cutout. Mine is way off, the LCD would need to move up and to the right (by one pin) for a proper fit.
I'm not very impressed with this case.

Mark M

I had fitting issues as well. First off I used the short standoffs to mount the board (doh!) so it was WAY off. One I figured out it needed the longer standoffs it was about 2mm off side-to-side. I used a small round file to elongate the holes by about that much to the right (as you look at it from the front) and it fits OK now.

My main complaint is that some of the components aren't real high quality (mainly the phone jacks and the power connector). The on/off switch doesn't work.

All in all, I can't complain too much. A blank box from other suppliers would be $20-$25 and you'd have to supply your own connectors, hardware, etc, plus have to drill], paint, & label it.

As always, YMMV...

Mark AA7TA

On 6/22/18 3:58 PM, Ken Held KF7DUR via Groups.Io wrote:
I paid extra for DHL and the case took less then 6 weeks to arrive.
Has anyone else had a problem with the LCD display not fitting properly in the front cutout. Mine is way off, the LCD would need to move up and to the right (by one pin) for a proper fit.
I'm not very impressed with this case.
_._,_._,_

allen west

My only complaint about the case is there are no bare spots for grounding. Also no star washers for grounding. Apparently case ground was not an issue.

I really do like the looks and sturdiness.

Al
KB4RA

On Jun 22, 2018, at 8:53 PM, Mark M <junquemaile@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, everyone, for the comments.  It is great information. Looks like I need to wait a little longer.

73 Mike KK7ER

Andy Wragg

I ordered mine towards the end of April, there was stock showing at the time of order but this soon changed. I had several email exchanges with Sunil, over the course of my wait, with a final notification of shipping about 3 weeks ago. I chose to use IndiaPost as DHL charge extra on delivery to the UK. Shipping took 10 days. I have found the case and supplied components to be great considering what you are getting for the money. No it's not a Yaesu or Icom but if that's what you want go and spend half a grand or more. This thing is $60 delivered anywhere in the world. The power switch is a little intermittent but I can live with that until it fails and needs replacing.
Considering the popularity of these cases (overwhelming Sunil I'm sure) I'm surprised I wasn't waiting longer, remember this is cottage industry in the North of India.

Lawrence Macionski

He is reputable, he is NOT Amazon Prime 2 days shipping. Good things take time..

JOHN CRONHELM <johncronhelm@...>

If there were only 12 available when you ordered you may have to wait for the next batch. There were 72 when I ordered and I had to wait 1 month for DHL. There is usually a very large queue.
John vo1jcc

JOHN CRONHELM <johncronhelm@...>

Have you sent the transaction IDs for the enclosure and DHL. Once I did that he answered my emails.
John Vo1jcc.

Mike KK7ER

I send that information every time I email him. But to date I have gotten zero replies.

73 Mike KK7ER

Mark M

In my experience, he's more likely to respond on Facebook. He posts there in the uBitx groups now and then. I had ordered a case in late March and shortly thereafter he announced a couple new colors in a FB posting. I sent him a message via FB about changing to one of the newer colors and he was very willing to switch. He had inventory in the color I wanted (blue with white panels) and sent it out right away. I had several FB messages with him. You might give that a try if you're on FB.

OTOH, a friend of mine ordered a case shortly after I did and has still not received it and has had no response to several email inquiries. He is planning to file a complaint with Paypal.

As for the case itself, it's well done. You might want to remove some of the paint from various places to be sure you get good contact all around. I think some of the connectors could be higher quality and the off/on switch failed after only a few uses. I also had to adjust the position of the board so that the display would line up with opening...I elongated the four holes about 2mm to the right (looking at it from the front). Overall, it's probably worth the money, esp. if you don't want to do a lot of drilling & filing & acquisition of connectors, etc.

From some postings on FB, it looks like he's working on a version to handle the touch screen displays.

Mark AA7TA