Topics

An Apology and clarification #ubitx

Lawrence Macionski <am_fm_radio@...>

Yesterday I made comment in another topic. I have discovered that some people have construed that it requires delicate and extensive soldering skills requiring "Geezer Goggles"  that will dissuade many from actually undertaking the build.

That is furthest from the truth!!! --For that I apologize. I am sure most hams can tackle the build without any problem at all.

Rather- it is I-- that needs help soldering; as my eye site is not that of when I was 18 or even 55.  FOR ME - magnification is a necessary tool for INSPECTION of solder joints and such. The recommendation of the "Geezer Goggles" is not to burn your nose with a soldering iron as focal length is 2 inches approx. but INSPECTION of the job after taking care to do a quality soldering job in the first place..

Please do not think I indicated the build required superman skills and vision with complexity requiring a EE degree from MIT or dexterity of a Swiss watchmaker.

Again I apologize in turning a report of a quality product you will be proud to own and use, into a scare you'll burn your nose off, etc.

Apologetically,

Larry W8LM
ARRL Life Member - Licensed 368 DOG years.

Ray Koster

I am afraid that your first post is correct and you do need the skills of superman to do any mods to this piece of junk!!. If this is a modders delight rig then why was it built using SMT components? Why does it need to be modded and at the rate these mods keep coming in, there will be very little of the original rig left!!!. If this rig is that bad, then why was it released on to the market with so many faults on it? Has anyone bothered to see if this rig, after all the mod's have been done, still complies with their countries radio spec's? has anybody tried to take legal action against Hf signals for selling such a poorly designed rig that requires so many modifications to make it work?

You may well be asking if this guy has infact any of these kits!!! well I have two Bitx 40's both arrived smashed in the post and beyond repair and a Ubitx that also arrived smashed and is also in a doubtful state of repair. I would not dream of putting this Junk on the air and would doubt that any of these kits would ever work...i am not going to spend weeks looking for cracked components when I can build a lot better things with my time..I am an ex Electronic service engineer and also an ex college lecturer in the field of Electronics, Ex meaning I am now retired

Ray Koster G7BHQ

Jack, W8TEE

Ray:

I think you're wrong on several levels. First, the rig does work "right out of the box" without mods. Second, virtually all of the mods resulted from the desired to do "something better" than it currently did it. If you really expected to get a IC-7610 for $140, I've got a bridge for sale. Third, hundreds of us (thousands?) have played with both the hardware and software and not one has ever mentioned a problem with being near Kryptonite. Most of us simply enjoy tinkering with the radio. Fourth, I've purchased 5 BITX's and every one of them arrived in good order with no damage. (Perhaps there is something to this karma stuff after all.) Fifth, since your an expert in this area, perhaps it would be a more constructive use of your time to lend your expertise to improving the radio rather than taking the easy route of sitting in your arm chair and bitching about it.

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, June 17, 2018, 1:38:56 PM EDT, Ray Koster via Groups.Io <raykoster@...> wrote:

[...]

Henning Weddig

Ray, You are not obliged to buy the BITX40 nor UBITX. According to the huge amout of emails You could and should have known about the deficiencies of both transceivers. So knowing its limitations, why did You buy the units?

Up to now no one mentioned about a cracked unit when it arrived. And take into account that thousands of units are sold and in use wrodlwide! to me it is unbelievable about this success.

You told that You are a professional (like me). Die You ever do a complete design of a complete transceiver and produced it in large quanteties?

73

Henning Weddig

DK5LV

Ham since 1969 (ex DC9LJ), retired RF engineer with a large  experience in RF design and homebrewer since 1966....

Am 17.06.2018 um 19:38 schrieb Ray Koster via Groups.Io:

[...]

ajparent1/kb1gmx

Its what I call moders delight as there are many possible changes to suit a builders
wishes.  The fact that it is SMT is not a hindrance as in this day and age leaded
parts are much more costly and in some cases unobtainium. The fact that its not
laid out as close as SMT parts would permit is another good thing.

Is it perfect, no, and no pretense either!  It is exactly what I knew it would be because
I participated, read the descriptions, and schematics.

As to compliance.  For most countries it is the sole responsibility of the licensee.
Rules may differ where you are but here (USA) Amateur Radio is the place where
the operator can build anything that meets basic performance standards.  That
is not permitted in any other radio service hence the responsibility for correct
operation is up to the operator and it applies even if you are running a 7800!

As to the propensity of mods...  Actually there are a few and more opinions on
how to achieve a specific result.  When you have a large group of people
experimenting  you will get many posted ways and means.  Its both nature and
a very collaborative thing.  I happen to enjoy it even if I don't always agree as
it may highlight something I missed or deemed unimportant to me, yet to
others very important.

For its price its a significant piece of hardware.  So what if it has a few warts,
I could easily run any commercial radio down to the latent flaws in those too.
I choose to enjoy it for what it is and have fun or fix them for my personal
enjoyment.

I happen to agree with Jack, quit grumping and do something constructive.
As an expert myself I choose to experiment and mod to my hearts content.

Larry,

I use geezer glasses too.  Getting old is hard on the body but sometimes makes
us smarter and wiser.  Have fun, and don't burn you're nose.

Allison

Don, ND6T

Larry,
For those that don't want to spend $$ for a nice stereoscopic microscope (which I still suggest is worth it) try the SolderScope . For several years I have enjoyed the student grade surgical loupes but the addition of the extra lenses make it a pleasure. I use everything available, "geezer goggles", surgical loupes, SolderScope, and even plain magnifiers. Do whatever it takes. Still a bunch easier than wrestling those wire leads and solder lugs that I used in the 1950's! Additionally, if you don't supply your friends with magnifiers, they can only say "WOW!" when you show off your work. Kinda like building a ship in a bottle. Howdydodat! -Don

Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Koster has had a bit of bad luck with the mail delivery; I’m not sure if he used DHL or not.    I don’t think we are likely to make this gentleman happy despite whatever effort’s—-after reviewing a few posts of his in the past, he suffers from the same pair that I have at times, being a bit over critical.    Perhaps he’s just having a bad day and he had also a few like it in the past.  Best to simply move on, and let him go his way in peace.

On Jun 17, 2018, at 14:22, ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...> wrote:

[...]

Rob Snow

I feel obliged when I see emails like this to chime in.  I apologize in advance if it annoys anyone.

My uBITX is my first HF rig and is the reason I went ahead and completed my Extra.  I saw the price, knew that there was no longer any excuse and ordered it, knowing I had 6-8 weeks to do my part (study and pass my Extra).  My "Junkyard" uBITX has been running flawlessly since it arrived and today I'll top 1000 QSO's with it.  Mostly on FT8, but I'm venturing out and have secretly been practicing my CW CQ in far off areas of 40M (nothing like on-air to raise the stakes) to get my confidence up and managed my first PSK31 earlier.

I've managed to mod my uBITX with Howards awesome and simple power mod, modded to 12.0v logic (TDA8222W) and just this morning added my temperature controlled fan mod (the box fan looming over my uBITX was unseemly).  My parts bins have exploded in size with SMT components, SMT practice boards (thanks for the tip, Jack) leaded things of all sizes and a new solder station.

I'll add that the entire uBITX experience has been amazing and I'm thankful to Ashhar for creating the completely functional base and everyone else for the full-on, immersive learning environment. Just reading here and asking questions from time to time has been 10x worth the price of admission and I'm thankful for such a treasure trove of knowledge packed in one place, the SNR is simply amazing.

73 Rob AG5OV - The Junkyard uBITX

Brian L. Davis

So sorry that your postal system is so destructive, maybe you should contact them instead of this group!
Being a retired Electronic service engineer and college lecturer I suggest that instead of maligning the creators of these radios that do work, you design a radio that will do what these radios do and sell it for $120.  If you can't or won't then please stop whining, it's unbecoming of anyone with an Amateur Radio license, with or without your background!

Dr Fred Hambrecht

He needs to remember to put a tener in the mailbox on boxing day. On another note I received 3 Bitx and 1 uBitx with nary a scratch.

v/r

Fred W4JLE