Topics

uBITX Version 4 first attempt #ubitx #ubitx-help

Richard

I was very excited to get my kit - I am pretty novice, but have a firm grasp of basic electronic theory - I followed the direction from HF Signals, and had it up and running pretty quickly,  its mounted in an old Midland  CB Case and using a Baofeng handmic  (MIC Only)  Speaker is the old midland speaker. I have the VER 4 with no Audio IC On the board and here are my issues:

1. Very VERY Quiet audio using the internal speaker or an small amplified stereo speaker.

2. The Calibration for the 25MHz crystal doesn't work at all like the directions -  I enter the menu and it says setup, turn to on then move to calibrate and hit the button, it tells me to turn exactly to 10 MHz, and a second later begins to transmit -  I hit the PTT Button and get rewarded with a sidetone that is Very loud from the speaker -  I put it on a dummy load, listened with my IC 746 unhooked from an antenna and try to match the sidetone with the noise from the Icom .

Is this a thing with the V4?

I am not confident enough to reload the firmware but have messed with the Calibration and BFO SO much things SSB Sounds Horrible!  Ill try to post a video tonight.

ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...>

Can't comment on the audio.  It s been changed for V4.  However if you expecting a lot of hiss
that not something it does.  Hook it to an antenna and tune around to see.  You should hear
an increase in noise just putting antenna on it and depending on the band, stations.  The
receiver was designed to be quiet, that means low internally generated noise.

I think during the transmission tone there is a spot where you measure the frequency or compare it to
WWV at 10mhz.
Its not unique to V4.  I suspect if you read around you answer is there.

Best I can do as I took a very different path to calibration.

Allison

Richard

Good Morning,

I am too novice - thus afraid to try and load a different firmware - but I read the code of the Ver. 4 Firmware and it is different, the V3 program seems much easier to work with - below are the differences my non computer self was able to find:

V3:
Menu: "Setup on?"
Menu: "Set Calibration?"
If button-
Print "Set to Zero-beat,"
Print "press PTT to save"

V4:
Menu:  "Settings on?"
Menu: "Set Calibration"
If Button -
Print: "Press PTT & tune"
Print: "to exactly 10 MHz"
delay -
Then it goes into TX - and the PTT Delivers a sidetone -

Earlier I posted my method of listening on an IC 746, and transmitting the sidetone into a dummy load - which you can still faintly hear, and I matched the sidetone to the IC746 receive tone, I am pretty sure I am in the neighborhood and can hear SSB Stations but they sound like GARBAGE -  so I am thinking my calibration and BFO are less of an issue then the Audio concerns I have been reading about with the V4.

I would love a post from someone about calibrating the V4 with the factory firmware - to see if I have a software bug of if I did it right!

Then I think I will look into the audio issues others have had.
Thnaks

--
Richard
KC7DDW

Andy V. Borisenko

I have exactly the same problems.

Andy V. Borisenko

I'm surprised by the position of the authors and sellers of the transceiver.
despite the obvious shortcomings main board of version 4, they did not recognize the problem, do not comment on the situation, do not offer compensation for inconvenience, do not do not remove the main board from the sale.
those who bought main board v4 did not even receive an apology for the inconvenience.
why is that?

Richard Bennett

I am assuming you made an effort and filed your grievance with them?
Myself, i bought this kit as an experimentation without expecting it to be of the quality that you would expect from a device costing thousands more.  Even then, I have heard complaints about radios that didnt measure up to the hooplah that was marketed.....and I would seriously doubt the big three EVER publicly made a claim as to their appologies for any dissatisfaction they may have caused.
Sure, I have bought kits that didnt perform as well as i had hoped or made an error in building, whether an honest mistake on my part or difficulty in following some maybe "scetchy" build instructions.
Its those times that I learned the most.
Maybe I just read the "tone" of your words as being a bit strong and if I did, olease forgive me.
I build kits and the like to learn....not just operate as those who buy aooliances would.
Yes, it can be very fruatrating at times.
I hope you find your answers but I am thankful there are peoole who continue to turn out projects for people like myself who enjoy the challenge.
I got very frustrated once with a kit supplier who was so so very slow about shipping items that were paid for in advance but waited months for an item while I read posts from the same about all of the things he had going on.
New projects and his travels and so on.
I just stopped biying as I felt the creating the hooplah and marketing was more important than the shiooing of the kits.
I even heard a supplier of this kitter complain of the neverending changes to the boards and getting stuck with old stock that he then discounted to the public just to liquidate.
Others continue to buy the kits without a complaint.
I am chuckling as I type this as i must constantly edit due to my fingers being fatter than the keys on my smartphone.....they should make the keys bigger so I wont make so many mistakes.

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 0:24, Andy V. Borisenko via Groups.Io
<rw9rn@...> wrote:
I'm surprised by the position of the authors and sellers of the transceiver.
despite the obvious shortcomings main board of version 4, they did not recognize the problem, do not comment on the situation, do not offer compensation for inconvenience, do not do not remove the main board from the sale.
those who bought main board v4 did not even receive an apology for the inconvenience.
why is that?

Jerry Gaffke

Yes, you are inconvenienced.  And this could be better.
It is more of an experimenter's radio than a cheap KX3 and perhaps
the website should make that clear.  But I challenge you to find
something better in a new all band HF rig within 3x the price.

I think Farhan got a few to work and figured he was done.
He has a life, and may be away from Mumbai for a week or two.
They sent out several hundred boards for autostuffing, and hfsignals is turning the crank.
The alternative is to bring everything to a halt and have orders delayed a couple months.
That brings on plenty of complaints too.

Plenty of LM386 audio amps up on ebay for $1, could just patch one in,
following how the LM386 is used in the very similar Bitx40.
Or you could patch in an LM386 or TDA2822 (v3 of the uBitx) on the bottom of the uBitx, manhatten style.
Or hook the middle pin of the volume control up to your amplified computer speakers.
Or try adding the resistor in series with with the two diodes to give it a bit of quiescent current
Or hold off for a week till this settles out, see if there is a better solution here in the forum.
Or offer your v4 for sale in the forum.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 09:24 pm, Andy V. Borisenko wrote:
I'm surprised by the position of the authors and sellers of the transceiver.
despite the obvious shortcomings main board of version 4, they did not recognize the problem, do not comment on the situation, do not offer compensation for inconvenience, do not do not remove the main board from the sale.
those who bought main board v4 did not even receive an apology for the inconvenience.
why is that?

Andy V. Borisenko

gentlemens.
I bought several KITs, several finished products from different manufacturers, but I never got into this relationship with a client like Farhan. no reaction to bad a main board v4. I the buyer. I paid the money to not have problems with the assembly of the transceiver. why should I remodel something in a READY product? but if I do not know how, I do not want to, I can not do it?
remake and improve everything is possible. it's not that. but in relation to the seller to the buyers.
and this is a very bad attitude.
Farhan does not solve the problem, which is.

Jack, W8TEE

Andy:

If you follow the instructions, the rig works as advertised. Most of the modifications done by the group here are improvements each of them wanted to address. A nice site for viewing those that have worked can be found at ubitx.net, which is a great resource site. It's not clear to me what problem you are experiencing. If making the connections to the main board is the source of your discontent, I would say caveat emptor and that you didn't do your homework to find out what the kit entailed. If there is something wrong with the main board, then what have you done to contact HF Signals with a detailed statement of the problem? Finally, what exactly is the nature of your problem. There are several thousand of us loitering around here, perhaps we can help.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, June 20, 2018, 1:44:11 AM EDT, Andy V. Borisenko via Groups.Io <rw9rn@...> wrote:

gentlemens.
I bought several KITs, several finished products from different manufacturers, but I never got into this relationship with a client like Farhan. no reaction to bad a main board v4. I the buyer. I paid the money to not have problems with the assembly of the transceiver. why should I remodel something in a READY product? but if I do not know how, I do not want to, I can not do it?
remake and improve everything is possible. it's not that. but in relation to the seller to the buyers.
and this is a very bad attitude.
Farhan does not solve the problem, which is.

M0CLS

Jack.

I think the complaints from Alex are about the audio stage on the V4 boards.

Andy.

This has only come to light in the last week or so, and I’m sure Farhan will be addressing the issue with the audio asap. There are a few “workaround” mods that can be done if you search on here. Just remember this radio cost next to nothing compared to the competition. It was created to be modified anyway so if a small mod is needed to better the audio then that’s not the end of the world. Now if you had bought an Elecraft KX3 with this issue then you would more than have a point! 😉

Carl M0CLS.

Tim Gorman

The big questions here are:
1. Does the radio work?
2. Does the radio work up to your expectation?

If the radio satisfies question 1 then Farhan has done his job.

If the radio does not satisfy question 2 then the issue is your
expectations. Farhan cannot manage your expectations nor is he required
to do so. You are the one that must manage your expectations.

tim ab0wr

On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 22:43:45 -0700
"Andy V. Borisenko via Groups.Io" <rw9rn=mail.ru@groups.io> wrote:

gentlemens.
I bought several KITs, several finished products from different
manufacturers, but I never got into this relationship with a client
like Farhan. no reaction to bad a main board v4. I the buyer. I paid
the money to not have problems with the assembly of the
transceiver. why should I remodel something in a READY product? but
if I do not know how, I do not want to, I can not do it? remake and
improve everything is possible. it's not that. but in relation to the
seller to the buyers. and this is a very bad attitude. Farhan does
not solve the problem, which is.

Jack, W8TEE

Farhan cannot manage your expectations nor is he required to do so.

Agreed...especially at a $140 pricepoint.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, June 20, 2018, 9:13:09 AM EDT, Tim Gorman <tgorman2@...> wrote:

The big questions here are:
1. Does the radio work?
2. Does the radio work up to your expectation?

If the radio satisfies question 1 then Farhan has done his job.

If the radio does not satisfy question 2 then the issue is your
expectations. Farhan cannot manage your expectations nor is he required
to do so. You are the one that must manage your expectations.

tim ab0wr

On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 22:43:45 -0700
"Andy V. Borisenko via Groups.Io" <rw9rn=mail.ru@groups.io> wrote:

> gentlemens.
> I bought several KITs, several finished products from different
> manufacturers, but I never got into this relationship with a client
> like Farhan. no reaction to bad a main board v4. I the buyer. I paid
> the money to not have problems with the assembly of the
> transceiver. why should I remodel something in a READY product? but
> if I do not know how, I do not want to, I can not do it? remake and
> improve everything is possible. it's not that. but in relation to the
> seller to the buyers. and this is a very bad attitude. Farhan does
> not solve the problem, which is.

Jack, W8TEE

I have read about some audio issues, but I haven't experienced it. Did I just get lucky, or is the audio a universal issue?

Jack, w8TEE

On Wednesday, June 20, 2018, 9:10:50 AM EDT, jocarl011 <jocarl011@...> wrote:

Jack.

I think the complaints from Alex are about the audio stage on the V4 boards.

Andy.

This has only come to light in the last week or so, and I’m sure Farhan will be addressing the issue with the audio asap. There are a few “workaround” mods that can be done if you search on here. Just remember this radio cost next to nothing compared to the competition. It was created to be modified anyway so if a small mod is needed to better the audio then that’s not the end of the world. Now if you had bought an Elecraft KX3 with this issue then you would more than have a point! 😉

Carl M0CLS.

sridhar

Farhan cannot manage your expectations nor is he required to do so.

Agreed...especially at a $140 pricepoint.

yes

de
vu3pen
sridhar

Ray Koster

I think that Andy is correct in thinking why he should have to do all these mods to this kit!! I also have purchased and built several kits in the past and have never had to do the scale of modifications that are now required to get this kit to work correctly. It was never disclosed on the HF signals website that it will be required by the builder to almost replace every component to make the rig work and be legal on the air.

Why are you Guy's sticking up for Farhan, when he does not come forward and hold his hands up and say that the kit should have never gone to market.If this was UK produced ,then Trading Standards would have closed HF Signals down long ago!!!

No one can expect a builder to rip out components and bodge the pcb to get it to work. This is not a user friendly board as it is all surface mounted and if you dont have good eye sight and the correct equipment then it will end up as a bin job!!

Also most builders do not have the correct test equipment to make tests to insure that after all these mod's, they are legal when on the air with this kit

My biggest beef about all this is that HF Signals cannot deliver a kit to me that is not damaged in the post and please dont tell me I have pissed of the postman, My postman is a nice guy and so are the staff at the sorting office and India to the UK is a very long way

I paid good money for a Bitx 40 and a Ubitx V3 and both were received damaged, a replacement Bitx was sent and that was also received damaged.

When I pay good money, I expect to receive the goods in a usable state and then I do not expect to have to then remove and replace most of the components at my expense, and probably have to wait weeks for these new components to come in, just to get it to work correctly

Firmware updates are acceptable as the nature of the code can led to bugs creeping in and this is a very easy thing to do and does not require butchery of the pcb

Ray Koster G7BHQ

Arv Evans

Ray G7BHQ

None of those mods are required for the transceiver to operate properly.

The audio was not an issue until someone who did not understand push-pull follower circuit biasing proclaimed that the circuit would never work.

Arv k7hkl
_-_

[...]

ekelley

Group, I have 5 bitX transceivers, 2 Hendricks and 3 from Ashar. I really like my units (all
of them). I have to admit that I did have problems with my bitX40 but that was my fault. My meter was defective and when I went to adjust the bias my meter read zero so I cranked up the drive and burned out my final. I fixed it and all is well. I have to admit that the audio can be improved by adding an agc circuit but that is not really necessary if you just adjust the volume control to suit the strong or weak signal coming in. My last purchase was the original uBitX and this time I did nothing to it. Yes, it can be improved but I haven't done that yet. I am having too much fun using it. I am in Iowa and my first contact was in California and since then I have logged about 15 States. On 40 I spent 10 minutes trying to get through a pile up of stations calling a station in Spain. I think that I could have logged him if I only had a little more time, he was 20 over on 40. I say all this just to prove one point, this transceiver works out of the box without any mods and all you have to supply is power and a case. If I'm getting over 5 watts, I'm happy. If I need more power I have my 100 watt rig and if that doesn't do it I use my Dentron amp for 1600 watts out. Its more fun doing it with 5 watts. Ashar has done a great job getting this unit out to us and we shouldn't complain about his excellent work. Ive seen it all (ham for 64 years) Ed W0OIC

On 6/20/2018 7:49 AM, Jack Purdum via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Brian L. Davis

There are literally thousands of these radios in the hands of users and only a very, very few have had any problems.
They work as advertised if built in a reasonable fashion, something Farhan has no control over.
As far as delivery, I am in Oklahoma, USA and mine arrived in pristine condition as have nearly all others.
You DO NOT have to replace any components.
You DO NOT have to rip out components and bodge the pcb to get it to work.
You DO NOT have to make any modifications to make it work.
If you have a postal delivery problem, complain to them, Farhan did not damage your mail.
This is a very, very inexpensive radio and you can modify it if you want but YOU DON'T HAVE TO.
If you would read the posts here you would find that you are nearly alone in your complaints and criticisms!
There  is an old saying that some people would complain about being hung with a new rope.
I believe that would be appropriate in this instance.

RICHARD

Mine works fine as advertised.  It’s people like you that killed Heathkit and other inexpensive radios . The radio works fine and legal,  if used properly.  If you don’t like them go buy a Kenwood. I bought 2 of the radios and mine worked as advertised and arrived in the US mail with no damage.

K6KWQ   A ham for 55 years.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Bullcrap, and you know it!

"No one can expect a builder to rip out components and bodge the pcb to get it to work. This is not a user friendly board as it is all surface mounted and if you dont have good eye sight and the correct equipment then it will end up as a bin job!!"

More bullcrap. First, all 5 of mine worked "out of the box" and, add about three or four thousand more buyers who also have it working without mods, and I'm pretty sure you screwed something up. Second, I'm 75 with a sad excuse for eyesight, yet with a headset of magnifying lens, I've found that I can solder a 10-pin Si5351 chip the size of a match head onto a PCB. Have you even tried working with SMD parts? You knew before you bought the two rigs that they contained SMD parts and that many mods have been made. Sounds to me like you ignored your own research. Whose fault is that?

"I paid good money for a Bitx 40 and a Ubitx V3 and both were received damaged, a replacement Bitx was sent and that was also received damaged."

Evidently you didn't learn your lesson on the first one and should have paid the DHL fee on the second. I've purchase 5 units and everyone of them arrived in good shape, and the US is farther away the the UK. As someone once said: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". Seems to me to be sort of a "fool-me-once" situation on your part.

Jack, W8TEE