Topics

Noob tx problem #ubitx-help

davedt1e@...

Oh yeah,  forgot to mention that I put the orange and purple leads back in the original position on the mic jack as well.

davedt1e@...

I just wanted to update this post so that another noob isn't lead astray.

I've finally got my dummy load put together so that I could more thoroughly test the mic and transceiver and it turns out that all was not well.  On more testing, when I whistled into the mic I would get a relay clicking on and off rapidly.  The problem is that I was wiring the mic and switch together in a simple series circuit.  This is incorrect.  What got me started down the wrong path was that the plug sent with the kit was a mono plug.  Ubitx.net has a diagram showing the mic hookup....I couldn't figure out why this diagram didn't make sense to me until I realized it was for a stereo plug.

I went and bought a stereo plug,  wired it up and all is now well.

See the diagram here:   https://ubitx.net/wiring-up-the-mic-jack/

I know this is simple stuff for most of you guys,  but I didn't want to leave this thread hanging around with my incorrect conclusion.

Howard Fidel

No problem.

On 6/7/2018 7:20 AM, davedt1e@... wrote:
I reversed the orange and purple leads and all is well.  Guess I had the mic wired opposite everyone else.

Thanks Howard and Bo!

davedt1e@...

I reversed the orange and purple leads and all is well.  Guess I had the mic wired opposite everyone else.

Thanks Howard and Bo!

Howard Fidel

You either have miss wired the connector, or a bad connector.

On 6/6/2018 10:06 PM, davedt1e@... wrote:
Just checked the mic at the plug.  It shows no continuity until I push the the button...then about 1.6k when I push the button. Have I wired the mic correctly?

davedt1e@...

Just checked the mic at the plug.  It shows no continuity until I push the the button...then about 1.6k when I push the button. Have I wired the mic correctly?

davedt1e@...

Thanks for your help.  So I just checked with mic plugged in.  It seems to be shorting the ptt (orange wire) to ground without pushing the button.  Indicating a problem with the mic itself?

Howard Fidel

Did you check with an ohmeter with the unit off at the connector with the mic plugged in that the PTT switch is working and wired to the right pin, i.e. high impedance when not pushed, and short to ground when PTT is pushed?

On 6/6/2018 9:05 PM, davedt1e@... wrote:
Still no joy.  I've checked all the wiring and confirmed connections to jacks with meter.  I wired up the mic and ptt button as a simple open/close circuit.  Is this correct?  Pretty frustrated.  Goes straight to tx when mic is plugged in.  Also verified that ptt button is working and soldering to the mic element looks good.

Would appreciate any help.  Thanks

davedt1e@...

Still no joy.  I've checked all the wiring and confirmed connections to jacks with meter.  I wired up the mic and ptt button as a simple open/close circuit.  Is this correct?  Pretty frustrated.  Goes straight to tx when mic is plugged in.  Also verified that ptt button is working and soldering to the mic element looks good.

Would appreciate any help.  Thanks

Bo Barry <bobarr@...>

A triple check will do it! Using the excellent color schematic/hookup diagram.
Those jacks are tricky. I had to use an ohm meter to figure them out.  Bo W4GHV

davedt1e@...

Just finished Ubitx.  RX is fine.  But when I plug in the mic it first goes into tx as soon as the tip goes in, then on full insertion goes back to rx, but no transmit when I push the ptt.   I've checked and double checked the mic and key jack connections and can find no error in wiring.

Any help would be appreciated.