Sent: 5/28/2018 11:49:44 AM
Subject: [BITX20] CEC firmware with RadI2Cino board? #ubitx #firmware #radiuno

I'm trying to get my uBITX with RadI2Cino board working with the CEC firmware.   I've successfully compiled/loaded the firmware, but it appears that the uBITX is going into transmit as soon as it boots up.

I'm guessing that this might be due to Arduino pin assignment differences between the RadI2Cino board and stock Raduino board, or perhaps how the radio was wired up (I bought it assembled from Jim Sheldon a few weeks ago).  It seemed to work fine with the W0EB firmware, I just want to try something different.

Is anyone using the CEC firmware with a Radi2Cino, and did you have to change any pin assignments in the firmware source code to do so?

Thanks,
Jeff Barnett
KM4VHX

John KJ4IFO

Jeff -

I thought that this would be fun to try to figure out, too.  Did you ever do any further investigation into using the CEC software with the RadI2Cino board?

John, KJ4IFO

Jim Sheldon

Jeff,
We haven't had the time to attempt getting CEC software to work on the RadI2Cino.  It's different in hardware than the original Raduino enough that We'd have to re-work a lot of Ian's CEC code to make it work and we'd rather not modify his code as that would make US responsible for maintaining updates to it and also, it would eventually cause it to diverge from Ian's original code to the point it would not even resemble the good work that Ian has done.  We don't want to have that happen.

If Ian wants to write code that will work on the RadI2Cino, all he has to do is email me (w0eb (at) cox dot net) and I'll gladly send him at no charge, a wired and tested RadI2Cino board so that he will have something to use as a test for his code.

That's all I can really do at this time.  That offer has been extended before (a long time ago) but Ian has never responded.  The offer remains open.

Jim Sheldon, W0EB

km4vhx@...

Jim,

That is a great offer to provide Ian with a free Radi2Cino, it's a shame he hasn't taken you up on it.  Perhaps he doesn't want to have to maintain the code changes either, which is understandable.

I was able to modify Ian's CEC code so it didn't go into transmit immediately.  However, it would still go into transmit if I turned the rotary encoder quickly (???).   Turning it slowly worked properly.

My current plans are to go with the TFT/Arduino Mega display for my uBITX, I already had all of the hardware laying around, I just haven't gotten it wired together yet.   I've since bought an Icom 7300 and have been spending my radio time playing with it, and putting up antennas, so the UBITX has taken a back burner.

Jeff, KM4VHX

Jim Sheldon

You MUST put the 4.7K resistor between pins 2 and 3 of the Raduino regardless if you are using factory or CEC software to keep it from going into transmit without pressing a CW key.  That's spelled out specifically in the instructions and if you don't have that resistor in place and wired correctly that may well be your problem.

Jim

On Jul 15, 2018, at 10:53 AM, km4vhx@... wrote:

Jim,

That is a great offer to provide Ian with a free Radi2Cino, it's a shame he hasn't taken you up on it.  Perhaps he doesn't want to have to maintain the code changes either, which is understandable.

I was able to modify Ian's CEC code so it didn't go into transmit immediately.  However, it would still go into transmit if I turned the rotary encoder quickly (???).   Turning it slowly worked properly.

My current plans are to go with the TFT/Arduino Mega display for my uBITX, I already had all of the hardware laying around, I just haven't gotten it wired together yet.   I've since bought an Icom 7300 and have been spending my radio time playing with it, and putting up antennas, so the UBITX has taken a back burner.

Jeff, KM4VHX

Jim Sheldon

Wish edit was enabled.  The pins 2 and 3 I'm referring to are on the "Digital" plug.  Pin 2 is the A6 analog input for CW keying and pin 3 is 5 volts.  This resistor pulls the A6 pin up to 5 volts which is the key "UP" condition.  If the pull up resistor is NOT installed, that input "floats" and if it gets near zero volts, the software thinks a CW key is installed and is pressed (Key DOWN).

Jim

On Jul 15, 2018, at 11:12 AM, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

[...]

Jack, W8TEE

Jim:

Does it still float if you use:

   pinMode(A6, INPUT_PULLUP):

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, July 15, 2018, 12:20:55 PM EDT, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

[...]

Have to ask Ashhar on that one.  I'm just paraphrasing the instructions that are published on HF Signal's website.  I don't use the A6 line for CW keying after freeing up the Digital pins when we went to the I2C display but lots of people still are.

Jim

On Jul 15, 2018, at 11:25 AM, Jack Purdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum@...> wrote:

[...]

The INPUT_PULLUP pin qualifier activates the internal pullup resistors and should produce enough voltage to read logic HIGH on the pin. A closure of a switch (or key) on that pin will pull it to GND, which is probably what is wanted. Given the voltage divider circuit Ashhar uses for keying, the pin qualifier may not be what he wants.

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, July 15, 2018, 12:31:35 PM EDT, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

[...]

W2CTX

I believe A6 has no connection to digital pull-up resistors.

rOn

On July 15, 2018 at 12:31 PM Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

[...]

I didn't know that. Since all of the Nano pins, including the analog pins, can be used as digital pins, I thought they, too, would have pullups that could be turned on. Is that not the case?

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, July 15, 2018, 12:51:01 PM EDT, W2CTX <w2ctx@...> wrote:

[...]

We've discovered something else about the analog inputs.  It appears that the NANO contains only one analog to digital converter (ADC) and it's fed from the analog input pins by a multiplexer.  If that MUX fails the analog inputs quit working or do squirrelly things.  Something else to look out for.

Jim

On Jul 15, 2018, at 11:47 AM, Jack Purdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum@...> wrote:

[...]

Aren'tcha glad we switched!  :>)

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, July 15, 2018, 1:25:38 PM EDT, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

[...]

Jack and rest if bit20 group I was 1/2 wrong!

Pull-up resistors

The analog pins also have pull-up resistors, which work identically to pull-up resistors on the digital pins. They are enabled by issuing a command such as:

pinMode(A0, INPUT_PULLUP); // set pull-up on analog pin 0

Be aware however that turning on a pull-up will affect the values reported by analogRead().

***  It is the last line that may cause issues.  Guess if you define a "iINPUT_PULLUP" then you should not use analogRead().

rOn