Topics

The new uBITX boards are here

Ashhar Farhan

Peeps,

HF Signals has rolled out the new (r4) version of the PCBs. Here are the changes:

1. A new, low distortion audio amplifier made from discrete transistors. This is one is optimized for head-phones and connecting to PCs for digital modes. It does work with the small speakers as well. Builders with the earlier versions can try this audio amplifier as an outboard amplifier.
2. The audio thump issue during T/R switching has been fixed.
3. At 28 Mhz, the output is about 4 watts. (this involves a single capacitor change from the earlier PCB).
4. I have included some 'jump' points to add interesting stuff like CW filters to the board. There are a large number of test points to help you debug and understand the board.

All in all, the changes are 'backward compatible' . That is, you can hack these changes to the previous boards to get in the new functionality. I have updated the circuit diargrams on www.hfsignals.com. The earlier board's circuit diagram has moved to http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-r3-archived/

The bad news is that we had to bump up the price of the board by 20 dollars. We fought long and hard to keep the price down. My personal ambition was to keep the price inside (or at) $100. This is price rise has to do with three things : The recent changes in the Indian import duty and sales tax; Our own increasing costs to preorder the parts. Lastly, we also increased our payout to those who wind the coils, assemble and test the boards. They were working at the same rate for the last two years. It was about time.

The new boards cost $129 USD with shipping. $139 USB with DHL option.

The good news is that from now on, these boards will be available on order. The waiting queue is gone.

On a personal note, I am happy with the new audio. It is so much sweeter and cleaner on the headphones.  Far less fatigue after hours of CW work. I am also using the FT8 extensively, I have bagged almost twenty countries, testing the new firmware.

- f

BillandAgnes Franzwa <franzwa1@...>

Ashhar,

thank you for the new board..removing the audio thump and increasing the output at 28Mhz are great...including breakout points for additional items (like my collection of CW filters) is excellent

again, a great job, I'll be ordering one...I'll add a 20x4 Parallel LCD display!

Bill Franzwa
K6SIK

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 12:19 PM, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:

[...]

david todd <kg9rb@...>

Ashhar,
I will be buying that new one  soon.
i have a recent one that i built and i love it. for 120- 140 dollars, you can't touch another allbander like this in that price range,. you are truly an inspiration to all Ham operators out here. Yes you can modify ,add, or just leave it stock. the design is beautiful .shows what can be done with minimal parts  . You and your radio should be an example to all  to renew the amateur radio community as a whole.

73s

David

ka9koj

Sent from Yahoo Mail. Get the app

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 3:19 PM, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:

[...]

Laurence Oberman

I just picked one up thanks, wanted a second ubitx anyway.

Still the best value @129.00 absolutely.

Thank you!!
Laurence

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 3:19 PM, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:
[...]

G8HAV

Hi,

There are references to 'New code' by various members of this group but the links all seem just descriptive. Can't see any 'Download Ver_xx here' on the sites.

I have mine built and tested as standard with the WX chip, but audio sounds good on earphones.

Peter Paul Fox G8HAV
Mid-Cheshire Amateur Radio Society
5 Llandovery Close
Winsford
Cheshire CW7 1NA

Group Controller
Dane Valley RAYNET
[...]

Clark Martin

I looked on www.hfsignals.com, specifically at http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-circuit-description/ and the schematic it shows it still v3, http://www.hfsignals.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/ubitxv3.pdf.

Clark Martin
KK6ISP

On May 26, 2018, at 12:19 PM, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:

[...]

w7hd.rh <w7hd.rh@...>

What capacitor was changed to what value?

Ron W7HD

--
Ron W7HD - NAQCC#7587 OMISS#9898 KX3#6966 LinuxUser#415320
Editor OVARC newsletter

Doug W

How about a picture showing the new test points?

Still waiting for the deluxe CQ hall of famer collector's edition...
--
www.bitxmap.com

Allen Merrell

This sounds very good, I should have waited a couple of weeks before I ordered mine now I will have to order  another one (was going to anyway). Hope to see new schematic  and pictures  soon.
--
Allen  Merrell

Skip Davis

Ron, C81 was changed to 470pf this is located on the base of Q90 the first driver stage.

Skip Davis, NC9O

On May 26, 2018, at 18:43, w7hd.rh <w7hd.rh@...> wrote:

[...]

It would be nice to see a comprehensive list of the changes for items 1 through 3, for those who might be interested in doing the mods to
earlier revisions of the board.

I have yet to wire my uBITX (from the initial shipment) up so it will tempting to make these mods once I have wired up the board as is to
make sure that it working ok.

Cheers

Michael VE3WMB

w7hd.rh <w7hd.rh@...>

Perfect - thank you.  I will be using this rig mostly for Propnet PSK31 on 10M, so wanted about 4-5W output.

On 05/26/2018 05:47 PM, Skip Davis via Groups.Io wrote:
Ron, C81 was changed to 470pf this is located on the base of Q90 the first driver stage.

Skip Davis, NC9O

--
Ron W7HD - NAQCC#7587 OMISS#9898 KX3#6966 LinuxUser#415320
Editor OVARC newsletter

Did not see the updated circuit Farhan, the old one shows up!

Raj

At 27/05/2018, you wrote:
Peeps,Â

All in all, the changes are 'backward compatible' . That is, you can hack these changes to the previous boards to get in the new functionality. I have updated the circuit diargrams on www.hfsignals.com. The earlier board's circuit diagram has moved to http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-r3-archived/

See here Clark!

http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-circuit-description/ I see the new one. If you see the old one then
try CTRL-F5 to completely refresh.

Raj

At 27/05/2018, you wrote:
I looked on www.hfsignals.com, specifically at http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-circuit-description/ and the schematic it shows it still v3, http://www.hfsignals.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/ubitxv3.pdf.

Clark Martin
KK6ISP

Skip Davis

Rah, the new schematic shows up in the ‘Circuit Description’ tab but the link from the schematic brings up the Raduino circuit. That link needs to be fix to see a larger printable version.
Thanks Farhan for updating the board and information.

Skip Davis, NC9O

On May 27, 2018, at 00:28, Raj vu2zap <rajendrakumargg@...> wrote:

Did not see the updated circuit Farhan, the old one shows up!

Raj

At 27/05/2018, you wrote:
Peeps,Â

All in all, the changes are 'backward compatible' . That is, you can hack these changes to the previous boards to get in the new functionality. I have updated the circuit diargrams on www.hfsignals.com. The earlier board's circuit diagram has moved to http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-r3-archived/

Clark Martin

I see the old one still.  CTRL-F5 doesn’t refresh on my Mac but I did refresh and also tried it on another browser that I’ve never used to go to HFSignals, still the old v3 schematic.

Clark Martin
KK6ISP

At 27/05/2018, you wrote:
I looked on www.hfsignals.com, specifically at http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-circuit-description/ and the schematic it shows it still v3, http://www.hfsignals.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/ubitxv3.pdf.

Jerry Gaffke

Maybe you have it cached somehow?
I'm seeing the new circuit here:  http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-circuit-description/

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 09:29 pm, Raj vu2zap wrote:
Did not see the updated circuit Farhan, the old one shows up!

Raj

Mike Woods

This is because your ISP is saving money.  Frequently accessed links may be cached by your browser, your router/firewall, by a proxy server, or by your ISP depending on how things are configured.   Give it a day or so and the page should have been refreshed.

Mike ZL1AXG

On 27/05/18 4:51 PM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io wrote:
Maybe you have it cached somehow?
I'm seeing the new circuit here:  http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-circuit-description/

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 09:29 pm, Raj vu2zap wrote:
Did not see the updated circuit Farhan, the old one shows up!

Raj

--
Mike Woods
mhwoods@...

Clark Martin

The Circuit description is updated but the schematic is the old one.

Clark Martin
KK6ISP

On May 26, 2018, at 9:51 PM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:

Maybe you have it cached somehow?
I'm seeing the new circuit here:  http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-circuit-description/

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 09:29 pm, Raj vu2zap wrote:
Did not see the updated circuit Farhan, the old one shows up!

Vince Vielhaber

Jerry, click the link for the schematic at the top. It still shows v3.

Vince.