Topics

uBITXII

franzwa1@...

New software and hardware improvements will continue to come as the uBITX is purchased by more and more users. This is natural. Rather than incrementally improving pieces and parts and wind up with a hodgepodge of boards and operating systems, it might be better to step back and wait a year for uBITXII. A new board that will incorporate the new software such as a streamlined KD8CEC package and the proposed successful hardware AGC mods, CW filter mods, power mods well as other coming modifications.

Keep the suggestions, mods, failures and successes in mind and incorporate them into uBITXII. The upgraded software should be streamlined so it can be easily handled by the little existing Nano as well as a possibly newer and bigger UNO or other platform.

My uninformed and naive suggestion is develop an improved board based on the existing suggestions and incorporate updated software into a new uBITXII.

Bill Franzwa
K6SIK

VE7CWS WRSeiler <waltrseiler@...>

I fully agree, address the microphone audio, the frame power out issues and generally do a complete workaround on those things that have been addressed. As to the software, keep it simple and for those that want to adapt other sketches or write their own continue support for that.

The principals that have conceptualized this entire project have done an incredible task. This group has and is a great helpful resource for those wishing to experiment and learn

isnt that the spirit of amateur radio!

WRS VE7CWS

_Dave_ K0MBT

ve7cws,
What would you change about the mic? Almost every one I have talked to on the radio, says that it has a good sounding audio quality on both the 40 and the micro.
73
dave
k0mbt

VE7CWS WRSeiler <waltrseiler@...>

Dave

perhaps I should have said drive level, reports I got have been that the audio is narrow in frequency response

Walt VE7CWS

Ashhar Farhan

The narrow audio response is either a crystal filter bandwidth issue or the bfo setting.
The new firmware that we are talking about does NOT entail any hardware changes. It fixes things that are broken in the original software or they are poorly implemented.
For instance, the cw keying with a straight key is so broken that i swear i want to kill the programmer. The accelerated tuning rate alogirthm jumps very arbitrarily, CAT doesnt work. I can list many.
- f

On 13 May 2018 4:30 pm, "VE7CWS WRSeiler" <waltrseiler@...> wrote:
Dave

perhaps I should have said drive level, reports I got have been that the audio is narrow in frequency response

Walt VE7CWS

richcarter03052 <re.carter@...>

I built a fully featured Elecraft K2 a few years back.  It has a variable bandwidth crystal ladder filter.  I wonder if the uBitx filter can be adapted to vary it's bandwidth in a similar fashion, perhaps with an external pot rather than under processor control.

There are a number of threads that describe mods to the uBitx.  It's getting a bit tedious to hunt through threads to find tested and verified mods.  It would be nice if they were collected in one place.

Rig operation is awkward due to the lack of frontpanel controls.  It would be nice if there were a computer interface and cat software available.  The new enclosure provides an external board with serial and USB connectors, but no instructions on how to hook these up and what they can do.  If anyone figures this out, please respond.

Rich - KE1EV

Doug W

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 06:22 am, richcarter03052 wrote:
There are a number of threads that describe mods to the uBitx.  It's getting a bit tedious to hunt through threads to find tested and verified mods.  It would be nice if they were collected in one place.
There is such a place. ZL1AXG puts in about 23 hours a day at http://ubitx.net/

It would be nice if there were a computer interface and cat software available.
look for KD8CEC on the link above

--
www.bitxmap.com

K9HZ <bill@...>

You might try www.hfsignals.net  Most of the mods are listed there concisely by type and author.

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

Like us on Facebook! facebook icon

Moderator – North American QRO Group at Groups.IO.

email:  bill@...

[...]

Sorry too early in the AM for me evidently… uBITx.net as others have pointed out.